Weird Time for Christians

https://apnews.com/93553f9bab26da7df743676a091f94bf

Asked Friday in an interview with CNN about the tweets, Galli said Trump’s characterization of the magazine as far left was “far from accurate,” but also said he is realistic about the impact of his words.

“I don’t have any imagination that my editorial is going to shift their views on this matters,” Galli said of those who support the president. “The fact of the matter is Christianity Today is not read by the people, Christians on the far right, by evangelicals on the far right, so they’re going to be as dismissive of the magazine as President Trump has shown to be.”

36 minutes ago, QMany said:

I would hope so.

But then I saw some Twitter replies from a dearly departed HB member and hardcore Trumpkin:

I can't imagine anyone claiming to be hardcore Christian supporting Donald Trump, but here we are. The cult is real.

Stuff like this just baffles me. It's just as simple as what would Jesus say about Donald Trumps actions? Can anyone say in good conscious Jesus would have approved of the way Trump acts and speaks? Its tragic for Christianity in general because people lose trust in the institution when what's being preached isn't practiced. 

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, commando said:

if donald was sent by god...i believe he is the flood rather than the ark.

In other words if there is judgement on America - trump is the judgement to awaken us to how far we've fallen from what is civil and right and just.  Does this verse apply to Donald Trump and to the America that elected him? : Micah 6:8

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God

What we know of Trump is that the words justly, mercy(loving it in fact), and humility are foreign concepts to him.  We knew this when the election occurred, yet he was voted in.  One could argue that those words didn't apply to Hillary either.  So hopefully we as Americans will wake up and vote otherwise in the future.  One thing about the present group of Dems seeking the nomination, I think many are very sincere in trying to fulfill the justly and mercy portion of the verse which I think are outward expressions of walking in humility. 

5 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

A little off topic but this part of your post struck me. How would Jesus be recieved today? My guess is he would be outcast and targeted the same today as he was 2000+ years ago. I think some(maybe many) Christian organizations would be against Jesus in the same way the ancient pharisees were. An interesting thought experiment for sure.

He'd be in a cell slowly dying from exposure and lack of medical care, having recently been separated from his parents, never to see them again.

5 hours ago, Moiraine said:

"Far Left" is now synonymous with "anyone who doesn't worship Trump"

We see this in P&R.

I appreciate Christianity Today coming forward, and all the recent editorials from across the US, and the groups formed by past GOP leaders etc - but NOT ONE OF THESE THINGS will move the needle.  The only thing that will is locally taking action.  Voting not just presidential but every office you are eligible for - this last three years has proven that there is no election that is unimportant.  Without flippign the house in 2018 none of this is happening.  Without all the flips in NC, VA and etc there would not be gerrymandered districts being redrawn.

I know that it's hard to change boats after you're well on your way.  This old boat has served you well, it gave you everything you needed, it's comfortable and you know where every button is - but it's time to jump.  To support the GOP now is just insane if you say you're an american that cares about our country.

• Plus1 1

18 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

I appreciate Christianity Today coming forward, and all the recent editorials from across the US, and the groups formed by past GOP leaders etc - but NOT ONE OF THESE THINGS will move the needle.  The only thing that will is locally taking action.  Voting not just presidential but every office you are eligible for - this last three years has proven that there is no election that is unimportant.  Without flippign the house in 2018 none of this is happening.  Without all the flips in NC, VA and etc there would not be gerrymandered districts being redrawn.

I know that it's hard to change boats after you're well on your way.  This old boat has served you well, it gave you everything you needed, it's comfortable and you know where every button is - but it's time to jump.  To support the GOP now is just insane if you say you're an american that cares about our country.

As a conservative ex-Republican Christian, I feel it’s important to support conservatives that speak out against Trump.....especially ones that previously supported him. 

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

As a conservative ex-Republican Christian, I feel it’s important to support conservatives that speak out against Trump.....especially ones that previously supported him. 

Couldn't agree more - I think it's a legitimate gripe on liberals that we shouldn't play the "What were you thinking?" game but welcome the change of heart.  I hope my post didn't come across differently than that.  My point is that the editorials and etc don't do anything really - I hope I'm wrong.

7 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I feel it’s important to support conservatives that speak out against Trump.....especially ones that previously supported him. 

Boy to I agree with that.  I am agrieved that our once formidable Republican party lined up in lock-step on his side during the impeachment hearing/vote.  It startled me that there were than many cowards in our government.  They could well have admitted their disappointment and disgust with Trump's actions and words brought out by the phone transcripts and other testimony. 

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, Huckleberry Muhammad said:

Boy to I agree with that.  I am agrieved that our once formidable Republican party lined up in lock-step on his side during the impeachment hearing/vote.  It startled me that there were than many cowards in our government.  They could well have admitted their disappointment and disgust with Trump's actions and words brought out by the phone transcripts and other testimony. 

Where have the people of principle gone?  Oh, yea I remember they are politicians 

Reagan:

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."

• Plus1 1

Wow. I've been away from the internet most of the day and I'm just seeing this. Crazy for the magazine to come out with this, and what a crazy, crazy response from Trump.

And to our former HB brother... man. I'm so sad to see where you've gone. I hope you come back. We had such good times together.