Weird Time for Christians

CT responds back to those who opposed their editorial.  This article is from the CT CEO.

More good stuff.   The bold, underlined is important.  American evangelicalism is not a  Republican PAC. AMEN!

article quoted in part:

https://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2019/december-web-only/trump-evangelicals-editorial-christianity-today-president.html

Galli’s editorial focused on the impeachment, but it was clear the issues are deeper and broader. Reasonable people can differ when it comes to the flagrantly partisan impeachment process. But this is not merely about impeachment, or even merely about President Trump. He is not the sickness. He is a symptom of a sickness that began before him, which is the hyper-politicization of the American church. This is a danger for all of us, wherever we fall on the political spectrum. Jesus said we should give to Caesar what is Caesar’s and to God what is God’s. With profound love and respect, we ask our brothers and sisters in Christ to consider whether they have given to Caesar what belongs only to God: their unconditional loyalty.

Let me protect against two misunderstandings. The problem is not that we as evangelicals are associated with the Trump administration’s judicial appointments or its advocacy of life, family, and religious liberty. We are happy to celebrate the positive things the administration has accomplished. The problem is that we as evangelicals are also associated with President Trump’s rampant immorality, greed, and corruption; his divisiveness and race-baiting; his cruelty and hostility to immigrants and refugees; and more. In other words, the problem is the wholeheartedness of the embrace. It is one thing to praise his accomplishments; it is another to excuse and deny his obvious misuses of power.

Similarly, this is neither a criticism of the evangelical Trump voter nor an endorsement of the Democrats. The 2016 election confronted evangelical voters with an impossible dilemma: Vote for a pro-choice candidate whose policies would advance so much of what we oppose, or vote for an extravagantly immoral candidate who could well damage the standing of the republic and the witness of the church. Countless men and women we hold in the highest regard voted for President Trump, some wholeheartedly and some reluctantly. Friends we love and respect have also counseled and worked within the Trump administration. We believe they are doing their best to serve wisely in a fallen world.

We nevertheless believe the evangelical alliance with this presidency has done damage to our witness here and abroad. The cost has been too high. American evangelicalism is not a Republican PAC. We are a diverse movement that should collaborate with political parties when prudent but always standing apart, at a prophetic distance, to be what Martin Luther King, Jr. called “the conscience of the state.” That is what we believe. This is where we plant our flag. We know we are not alone.

• Plus1 1
13 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

CT responds back to those who opposed their editorial.  This article is from the CT CEO.

More good stuff.   The bold, underlined is important.  American evangelicalism is not a  Republican PAC. AMEN!

article quoted in part:

https://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2019/december-web-only/trump-evangelicals-editorial-christianity-today-president.html

He’s absolutely right. I stopped taking my kids to Sunday school because I was scared of what they might hear.  I know who teaches those classes and what they post on FB, their theology obviously doesn’t match mine.

• Plus1 1

11 minutes ago, Landlord said:

The number of Christians whose heads are exploding because CT published that is insane. People absolutely losing their minds. They're terrified of all their cultural power slipping out of their fingers.

Let it slip - it isn't our mission. 

• Thanks 2

I think this is great!  I assume he's working on the same sort of proclamation for Kwanza, Rosh Hashanah, Eid al-Adha, Birth of Bahá'u'lláh, Diwali.

Or better yet - what would the state of NE think if he proclaimed a day for one of the above having not done so for christianity?

How do my Nebraska folk here feel about this?  For me, it's another embarrassment for our state.  To be called out like we are today for this is ridiculous.

Although I don't consider this type of publication in the same vein as more prominent national news sources or even local ones (LJS, OWH, etc.), this story reminds of something I've long felt which is that publications should eliminate editorial board endorsements. Particularly those publications that try to pride and position themselves as objective and unbiased. These endorsements often cause far more trouble than they're worth and they alienate readers, particularly those that don't understand the difference between a newsroom and an editorial board.

I feel like there's a way to maintain an op-ed board that provides opinion without diving into blunt and literal endorsements.

49 minutes ago, teachercd said:

How the hell do people just decide to quit jobs, pretty good jobs...they must have other things lined up before leaving.

Have any of you just flat out walked out of your job with nothing lined up?

Some things are more important than money

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Some things are more important than money

Sure...but...wouldn't you rather have money so that you can like...eat...get gas...pay your bills...support your family...eat...keep your house/apt...eat...pay bills.

I get having morals and all that...but would you quit your job if you had nothing lined up and no savings?

I am sure we have all done the daydream where we storm in and tell our boss to kiss our a$$ and storm out...but I am not sure I could do that unless I knew I had something lined up.

Maybe I am just a huge sissy, but I could not do it.  I would not care if my company was doing the most illegal horrible s#!t around...if I was not set up for success immediately after quitting, I could not do it.

2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Sure...but...wouldn't you rather have money so that you can like...eat...get gas...pay your bills...support your family...eat...keep your house/apt...eat...pay bills.

I get having morals and all that...but would you quit your job if you had nothing lined up and no savings?

Being a Christian I am sure the guy feels like "if Christ gave up his life for me, I can give up my job for Christ" I'm sure he has faith God will provide. If you can't have faith are you really a Christian? Not talking to you directly but just posing that question to the situation

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Nebfanatic said:

Being a Christian I am sure the guy feels like "if Christ gave up his life for me, I can give up my job for Christ" I'm sure he has faith God will provide. If you can't have faith are you really a Christian? Not talking to you directly but just posing that question to the situation

Yeah, that is a good point.  I just don't think I could do it that way, I just don't think I am that type of a risk taker.  

• Plus1 1