Weird Time for Christians

20 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Yeah, that is a good point.  I just don't think I could do it that way, I just don't think I am that type of a risk taker.  

And that is totally reasonable. That said I'm sure you have been put in a position where doing the right thing may not have been in your best interest but you did it anyway. 

2 hours ago, teachercd said:

Have any of you just flat out walked out of your job with nothing lined up?

Yes.

2 hours ago, teachercd said:

Sure...but...wouldn't you rather have money so that you can like...eat...get gas...pay your bills...support your family...eat...keep your house/apt...eat...pay bills.

I get having morals and all that...but would you quit your job if you had nothing lined up and no savings?

It's not that hard or scary. Granted I'm single, but I never failed to be able to eat or have somewhere to stay. You'd be shocked at the amount of money you can actually live off of if you don't care about money. I've made about $9K all of 2019 and I'm doing great. 

4 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Yes.

It's not that hard or scary. Granted I'm single, but I never failed to be able to eat or have somewhere to stay. You'd be shocked at the amount of money you can actually live off of if you don't care about money. I've made about $9K all of 2019 and I'm doing great. 

Do you have a rent payment?  I am guessing no car and just walk/public transit?

Is your only real monthly bill your phone?

I could live off of about 5-10 dollars a day with fast food, frozen pizza.  

Do you use Roxy's food ideas?  Haha

3 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Do you have a rent payment?  I am guessing no car and just walk/public transit?

Is your only real monthly bill your phone?

I could live off of about 5-10 dollars a day with fast food, frozen pizza.  

I pay $400 in rent, $180 for my car, $150 for car insurance, and somewhere between $50-150 on student loan debt each month. This year was unique because I saved up a bunch from the previous year, and also lived out of my car/suitcase traveling for the first five months of the year. I also work off my rent a lot of the time rather than pay it.

Edit: Oh and $80 for my phone, but one out of every 4-5 months my mom insists on covering that. 

Just now, Landlord said:

I pay $400 in rent, $180 for my car, $150 for car insurance, and somewhere between $50-150 on student loan debt each month. This year was unique because I saved up a bunch from the previous year, and also lived out of my car/suitcase traveling for the first five months of the year. I also work off my rent a lot of the time rather than pay it.

Ohhh, how do you work off your rent...Wink :)

Did you sleep in your car at times while traveling?  That would save a ton right there.

• 2 weeks later...

On 1/4/2020 at 8:19 AM, BigRedBuster said:

Prop is someone to pay attention to in Christian culture. Dude is one of my favorite humans, sharp and wise and cutting and a good follow.

On the other hand, you have Michael Tait the singer of the Newsboys (cheesy CCM garbage) on stage at that event with Trump. Which is a damn shame. The things he's willing to publicly be fine with that are highly embarrassing and the things that aren't a big deal at all which he is terrified of becoming public are really sad and disappointing. 

On 1/4/2020 at 6:52 AM, BigRedBuster said:

From the Politico article it notes that not all evangelicals are pro-Trump.  Since when should evangelicals support restrictive immigration policies and environmental regs.   It seems to me that the Bible speaks of us helping the alien in our midst - the immigrant and also to be good stewards of the environment. 

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/01/03/trump-evangelical-defection-093071

But the president's campaign's strategy has drawn skepticism from other corners. While Trump’s religious advisers hail the president as their greatest champion since Ronald Reagan, the policies they point to — a restrictive immigration policy, appointment of anti-abortion judges, rollback of environmental regulations and support for Israel — are often the same issues driving key religious constituencies further away from the president.

“The evangelical community has never been 100 percent lockstep conservative. The 20 percent of white evangelicals who don’t like Trump include younger voters, college-educated voters and suburban moms,” said Diana Butler Bass, a scholar of American religion.

“That the Trump campaign thinks they could pull those people away after antagonizing them for three years shows a very thin understanding of the nature of American evangelicalism,” she added.

Indeed, ahead of Trump’s Friday appearance, Florida Democrats issued a letter signed by 12 Christian leaders from five Florida counties that appealed to the president: “We cannot stand idly by while you attempt to co-opt our religion for your political gain and claim support from our community.”