Weird Time for Christians

On 1/11/2023 at 3:45 PM, TGHusker said:

St Paul encouraged us to pray without ceasing - that would include parking lots and cancer and everything in between.  I think the best part of prayer is that it CAN change us even if it doesn't change the situation we are praying for.  That surrendered Trust Of "NOT MY WILL BUT YOUR  WILL BE DONE" has a way of changing us and making us a better person.  Humility is the starting place of effective prayer.   Effective prayer doesn't mean prayer answered in the way we desired either. 

I read this twice. I can’t say I disagree…should that worry me?:)

11 hours ago, nic said:

I read this twice. I can’t say I disagree…should that worry me?:)

Nope - TG is a good man with a rational approach to try and understand issues that supplement his beliefs, and if they don't he is fine with acknowledging the incongruence.  He's continually impresses me with his ability to dig in to something to learn more and to then have an opinion based on facts even when it may not align what what his assumed beliefs might be.  We could all learn a bit from him on that.

• Plus1 2
On 1/13/2023 at 9:17 AM, NM11046 said:

Nope - TG is a good man with a rational approach to try and understand issues that supplement his beliefs, and if they don't he is fine with acknowledging the incongruence.  He's continually impresses me with his ability to dig in to something to learn more and to then have an opinion based on facts even when it may not align what what his assumed beliefs might be.  We could all learn a bit from him on that.

Thanks for your kind words 

On 1/12/2023 at 7:41 PM, knapplc said:

Actually that's kinda what I was thinking.

I also want to know my stats:  how far have I traveled by car, plane, boat, bike, foot and where do I rank in the history of the world?

What song did I hear the most times in my life?

What are the most calories I ever consumed in a 24 hour period, itemized?

Beer consumption in descending order by brand?

Animals eaten?

Where exactly did all my money go?

Longest piss?

Most frequented restaurants?

Concerts attended? 

etc.

3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Putting this here just because there's not a better thread.

More from the article:

On Tuesday, Francis said there needed to be a distinction between a crime and a sin with regard to homosexuality. Church teaching holds that homosexual acts are sinful, or “intrinsically disordered,” but that gay people must be treated with dignity and respect.

Bantering with himself, Francis articulated the position: “It’s not a crime. Yes, but it’s a sin. Fine, but first let’s distinguish between a sin and a crime.”

“It’s also a sin to lack charity with one another,” he added.

Francis has not changed the church’s teaching, which has long riled gay Catholics. But he has made reaching out to LGBTQ people a hallmark of his papacy.

The older I get the more tired I am of a religion that seeks to condemn people based on some 'external' difference.  God indeed loves each of us, as we are.  He also loves each enough to help us to become more Christ like.  St John specifically said "God is Love"  - therefore he responds to his children from that perspective.  As an evangelical Christian, I've had to reconcile the scriptures which are used to 'condemn' homosexuals with the fact that God is Love.  Perhaps if we interpret scripture through that one verse (God Is Love) there would be far more grace given and much less condemnation.  Perhaps many of those verses which are used to condemn get taken out of context (both cultural and contextual within the whole Bible) - esp the versus at the end of Romans 1.  Those versus are followed by Romans ch 2 which condemns believers for passing judgement on others.  Those versus in Romans 1 speak to all people who deny the truth revealed in nature about God.  As a heterosexual, I don't understand the same sex attraction.  I probably never will - but I do understand grace - for I too, am full of weaknesses, sins and differences and a fallen sin nature that keeps me from my fullest potential. I'm in need of grace each day for people to accept me as I am.  I know God does.  God's love deals with those weaknesses through Christ's redemption on the cross.  Therefore, we live under grace towards ourselves and towards others and not under condemnation. 

• Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

More from the article:

The older I get the more tired I am of a religion that seeks to condemn people based on some 'external' difference.  God indeed loves each of us, as we are.  He also loves each enough to help us to become more Christ like.  St John specifically said "God is Love"  - therefore he responds to his children from that perspective.  As an evangelical Christian, I've had to reconcile the scriptures which are used to 'condemn' homosexuals with the fact that God is Love.  Perhaps if we interpret scripture through that one verse (God Is Love) there would be far more grace given and much less condemnation.  Perhaps many of those verses which are used to condemn get taken out of context (both cultural and contextual within the whole Bible) - esp the versus at the end of Romans 1.  Those versus are followed by Romans ch 2 which condemns believers for passing judgement on others.  Those versus in Romans 1 speak to all people who deny the truth revealed in nature about God.  As a heterosexual, I don't understand the same sex attraction.  I probably never will - but I do understand grace - for I too, am full of weaknesses, sins and differences and a fallen sin nature that keeps me from my fullest potential. I'm in need of grace each day for people to accept me as I am.  I know God does.  God's love deals with those weaknesses through Christ's redemption on the cross.  Therefore, we live under grace towards ourselves and towards others and not under condemnation. 

He makes a very good point.  Homosexual sex is a sin according to the church.  But, it's no more of a sin than the sins the rest of us commit almost daily (as in premarital sex).  And, God loves us all.  This is a pretty good push back against the extreme anti gay christian crowd that acts like being gay or loving and respecting gay people is an atrocity....meanwhile, they go about their lives sinning every day.

• Plus1 2
6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

He makes a very good point.  Homosexual sex is a sin according to the church.  But, it's no more of a sin than the sins the rest of us commit almost daily (as in premarital sex).  And, God loves us all.  This is a pretty good push back against the extreme anti gay christian crowd that acts like being gay or loving and respecting gay people is an atrocity....meanwhile, they go about their lives sinning every day.

And it is a very scriptural push back as well.

I came across this commentary on Romans 2 showing how bad it is for the 'moralist' to sit around and judge. Paul is speaking directly to Jewish believers who stood behind their rules and regulations.  God's wrath and judgement (mentioned in chapter 2) are for another topic;  but I think it is answered in the cross of Jesus in reading Romans (chapter 1:16-17 and chapter 3- chapter 4.)  

https://enduringword.com/bible-commentary/romans-2/