F Grade

On 12/19/2017 at 1:07 PM, secretasianman said:

The writer’s assessment of Nebraska was on target.  

I think his grades for some of other teams were off.  He gave each a grade based on the criteria and context of the program.  Gives Northwestern at 9-3 a B+.  That’s an A for Northwestern in my mind; that’s about to the ceiling for that team.

I honestly think they can achieve more than that at Northwestern...not consistently, mind you, but I could see them having a singular 11-1/12-0 season if everything falls into place since Fitzgerald is a good coach...but it's rather tough to do so, so IMO a B+ for 9-3 is a good compromise between reality and program potential. 

16 hours ago, Jack Platte said:

After all these years, Frank Solich's team is going to a bowl game, and Nebraska is not.

Steve Pedersen is a completely worthless douchebag and Callahan was a terrible hire, but Steve was right about Solich. Frank is at a job he's a far better fit for. I'd rather shoot for a complete rockstar coach than settle for mediocre...even if we fail, at least we're trying to be great. When you settle for mediocre, you become Iowa. When you finally hit the coaching lottery, you get a decade or two of Frost. 

14 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Steve Pedersen is a completely worthless douchebag and Callahan was a terrible hire, but Steve was right about Solich. Frank is at a job he's a far better fit for. I'd rather shoot for a complete rockstar coach than settle for mediocre...even if we fail, at least we're trying to be great. When you settle for mediocre, you become Iowa. When you finally hit the coaching lottery, you get a decade or two of Frost. 

We hope

47 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

You give Pud  way too much credit.  The reason $ Byrne left was because he didn't want to be the AD to fire Solich.  Pud was hired to fire Solich just like Eichorst was hired to fire Bo. 

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, junior4949 said:

You give Pud  way too much credit.  The reason $ Byrne left was because he didn't want to be the AD to fire Solich.  Pud was hired to fire Solich just like Eichorst was hired to fire Bo. 

Perhaps. But either way, hiring Solich was a mistake and firing him was smart. The mistake was not hiring a better replacement. 

3 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

The problem is that we were not aiming for great. Harvey hated the football program and succeeded in making NU football irrelevant.

• Plus1 1

On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 2:21 PM, Ric Flair said:

Perhaps. But either way, hiring Solich was a mistake and firing him was smart. The mistake was not hiring a better replacement. 

It's really hard to take posts like this serious.  Both TO and Solich inherited NC caliber teams.  TO won his first outright conference title in year nine.  Solich won his first outright conference title in year two.  If you take out Solich's 02' season(4th in the North) and TO's 76' season(4th out of 8), Solich had an 81% winning percentage to TO's 78% winning percentage.  With revisionist history, it always seems like I hear how TO never lost to unranked teams.  He managed to lose twice in the 74' season to teams that finished the season unranked.  In 77', he lost twice to teams who finished the season unranked.  The only year other than the 02' season Solich lost to a team that finished unranked was in 03' when he lost to one unranked team. 

I get it, you don't like Solich.  However, his only real fault while here was turning in a stinker of a season known as the 02' season.  We can debate forever how he would have done had he been given more time, but he wasn't so we'll never know.  We all know hiring Callahan was a mistake.  However, we really didn't have anyone beating down the doors to come here.  A lot of the coaching community was turned off when we fired a coach that was as successful as Solich was.  I don't see firing Solich as smart.  The smart thing to do would have been giving him more time.  If he was as bad as you make him out to be, he would have eventually imploded much like Callahan did in 07' and Riley did in 17'.  After the implosion, it would have been much easier hiring a better replacement. 

• Plus1 4
13 hours ago, junior4949 said:

It's really hard to take posts like this serious.  Both TO and Solich inherited NC caliber teams.  TO won his first outright conference title in year nine.  Solich won his first outright conference title in year two.  If you take out Solich's 02' season(4th in the North) and TO's 76' season(4th out of 8), Solich had an 81% winning percentage to TO's 78% winning percentage.  With revisionist history, it always seems like I hear how TO never lost to unranked teams.  He managed to lose twice in the 74' season to teams that finished the season unranked.  In 77', he lost twice to teams who finished the season unranked.  The only year other than the 02' season Solich lost to a team that finished unranked was in 03' when he lost to one unranked team. 

I get it, you don't like Solich.  However, his only real fault while here was turning in a stinker of a season known as the 02' season.  We can debate forever how he would have done had he been given more time, but he wasn't so we'll never know.  We all know hiring Callahan was a mistake.  However, we really didn't have anyone beating down the doors to come here.  A lot of the coaching community was turned off when we fired a coach that was as successful as Solich was.  I don't see firing Solich as smart.  The smart thing to do would have been giving him more time.  If he was as bad as you make him out to be, he would have eventually imploded much like Callahan did in 07' and Riley did in 17'.  After the implosion, it would have been much easier hiring a better replacement. 

Did you ever meet Solich? Did you ever hear about how he ran his practices and the lack of respect the players had for him? I knew people who played for Osborne and Solich and heard all the stories. Solich was not the caliber of coach or person to be head coach at Nebraska. He got the job because he whined about how he was owed it and Osborne got tired of his incessant whining and finally promised it to him. After the 97 season, Osborne continued to have reservations about whether turning things over to Solich was the right move. So Solich sent his wife to guilt trip Osborne about how he couldn’t go back on his promise. 

So rather than having a national coaching search to find the best candidate available to take over a team that’s won 3 titles in 4 years, we get Frankie Solich, a tiny man, weak leader, mediocre coach, and very flawed human being, who quickly turned greatness into mediocrity.

i get that you like Frankie. He was a tough little back as a player and a long time coach and coordinator. But he was a terrible fit to be the head coach of a program like this. Osborne shouldn’t have been in a position to name his successor and he made a horrible decision handing the reins over to Frankie.

in terms of the people who wanted to come here and replace Solich, I think a lot of those  limitations were because Steve Pedersen was running the search. 

• Plus1 1
13 hours ago, junior4949 said:

Solich is such a great coach that he can't even win the MAC.

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Did you ever meet Solich? Did you ever hear about how he ran his practices and the lack of respect the players had for him? I knew people who played for Osborne and Solich and heard all the stories. Solich was not the caliber of coach or person to be head coach at Nebraska. He got the job because he whined about how he was owed it and Osborne got tired of his incessant whining and finally promised it to him. After the 97 season, Osborne continued to have reservations about whether turning things over to Solich was the right move. So Solich sent his wife to guilt trip Osborne about how he couldn’t go back on his promise. 

Tom Osborne promised Frank Solich the head coaching job at Nebraska because Solich was whiny?

1 hour ago, Enhance said:

Tom Osborne promised Frank Solich the head coaching job at Nebraska because Solich was whiny?

That was a big part of it. He (and his wife) guilt tripped Osborne and convinced him Solich was owed it for his loyal service. When Osborne was having second thoughts about retiring after the 1997 season, they put a full court press on him to force him out so Solich could have his turn. Osborne was only around 60 years old at the time and was giving increasing thought to continuing to coach.