ScottyIce

JUCO Recruiting

Was this the first road block for FHCMR’s tenure at Nebraska? He came in and didn’t even jump right into his system right away and was unable to land any JUCOs or Grad transfers or a QB in his first class

HCSF already has landed 4 JUCO’s that fit exactly what he wants to do, a QB perfect for his system and still has a couple more months to find 7+ more fits. It’s possible he could pursue the Grad transfer market as well....

Gotta love what’s going on with Husker Football.

• Plus1 3

Yeah, even the recruiting guys have been commenting for some time that it was a fairly big short-coming of Riley's recruiting efforts - not grabbing 2-3 JUCOs each year at positions of need.  Considering roster numbers and level of play we sure could have used a WR, OT and CB and a pass rusher of some sort.

Could somebody explain to a guy that doesn’t follow recruiting very closely.....Is this more than we usually tap the juco market for players and is this a pretty clear indication that HCSF maybe felt we were lacking talent? Or are the numbers (4) fairly typical and is it just plugging holes in strategic positions? From my uneducated view, this seems a little abnormal for Nebraska, recently anyway.

Just now, Comfortably Numb said:

Could somebody explain to a guy that doesn’t follow recruiting very closely.....Is this more than we usually tap the juco market for players and is this a pretty clear indication that HCSF maybe felt we were lacking talent? Or are the numbers (4) fairly typical and is it just plugging holes in strategic positions? From my uneducated view, this seems a little abnormal for Nebraska, recently anyway.

Not sure Riley signed a single juco player for comparison

39 minutes ago, Comfortably Numb said:

It’s only abnormal comparing it to Riley’s recruiting where he didn’t take any JUCO guys.  Bo and even Callahan would get JUCO recruits in positions of need.

39 minutes ago, Comfortably Numb said:

It's probably more than what you will see moving forward. But no problem in the first year or 2 to snag more than usual. Then again if there is great talent at JUCO why pass on it any year 

There’s no problem ever grabbing 1-2 per year, as long as they are the right type of guys and At positions of need. Frost was quoted saying this.

word was FADSE gave the red light to Riley on JUCO’s. But, Riley did say a couple times that he wanted to build it with 4 year guys, not stop gaps.

I think we would possibly still take a couple more JUCO’s if they are out there and fit Frosts model. Pass rusher and OT come to mind.

Edited by ScottyIce

6 minutes ago, ScottyIce said:

There’s no problem ever grabbing 1-2 per year, as long as they are the right type of guys and At positions of need. Frost was quoted saying this.

word was FADSE gave the red light to Riley on JUCO’s. But, Riley did say a couple times that he wanted to build it with 4 year guys, not stop gaps.

I think we would possibly still take a couple more JUCO’s if they are out there and fit Frosts model. Pass rusher and OT come to mind.

Sam McKewon said numerous times that the administration didn’t want to deal with the hassle of getting JUCO kids eligible and staying on top of their grades, so SE discouraged Riley from recruiting them. Riley didn’t push back and didn’t attempt very hard to recruit the JUCO ranks, which is odd because I think he had a few decent ones come thru Oregon State during his time there. 

14 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Sam McKewon said numerous times that the administration didn’t want to deal with the hassle of getting JUCO kids eligible and staying on top of their grades, so SE discouraged Riley from recruiting them. Riley didn’t push back and didn’t attempt very hard to recruit the JUCO ranks, which is odd because I think he had a few decent ones come thru Oregon State during his time there. 

Sounds like a few people in the administration need to cool their heels looking for a new job.

MR seemed to act like he had an 8 year contract and winning in the first 3 years wasn't important.  I feel like we are taking JUCO's this year at a rate similar to K-state who made a living with JUCO's.  Thinking SF would have went as high as 6 if he could have grabbed a rush end and a O-line guy....  Will be interesting to see in years 3/4 how JUCO's and Walk-on's are passed out -  once SF has a handle on his roster.

With Ryan Helds JuCo ties, it would not surprise me if we took 2-4 every cycle starting in 2019.  They would make up for the misses/depth issues and fill holes with potential transfers. The rest of the class you fill with high school guys to develop and the great ones come in and compete for playing time. I like the idea because it feels as though we get phenomenal players from the Juco ranks that help contribute to the team. Couple that with the development of the high school guys and we are competing for conference championships and getting results on the field that we all want to see. 

20 minutes ago, HuskermanMike said:

With Ryan Helds JuCo ties, it would not surprise me if we took 2-4 every cycle starting in 2019.  They would make up for the misses/depth issues and fill holes with potential transfers. The rest of the class you fill with high school guys to develop and the great ones come in and compete for playing time. I like the idea because it feels as though we get phenomenal players from the Juco ranks that help contribute to the team. Couple that with the development of the high school guys and we are competing for conference championships and getting results on the field that we all want to see. 

What if I told you we already have 2-4 JUCO guys in 2018 class? With Ryan Held, there is no reason to wait. It’s already here.

3 minutes ago, ScottyIce said:

What if I told you we already have 2-4 JUCO guys in 2018 class? With Ryan Held, there is no reason to wait. It’s already here.

Yes, I agree!

I was referring more to the years after 2018. We might get a couple more Juco's this year, so that is why I put that number for 2019 and beyond. I think we might start looking for a Juco OT after this dead period is over. 

Anyway, I am really impressed at who we are bringing in. I kind of bought into Riley's notion to not go after Jucos and develop the younins, but now that we saw how that worked, I am okay with going after them. Especially since we had so many good ones under Bo that made an impact, I bet we will see the same impact under Forst as well!

10 minutes ago, grandpasknee said:

Am I right in remembering that Mike Rozier came to Nebraska from Colby Jr College?

He was a juco player. Cal also benefitted from plucking a juco player named Aaron Rodgers 

2 hours ago, GBRFAN said:

MR seemed to act like he had an 8 year contract and winning in the first 3 years wasn't important.  I feel like we are taking JUCO's this year at a rate similar to K-state who made a living with JUCO's.  Thinking SF would have went as high as 6 if he could have grabbed a rush end and a O-line guy....  Will be interesting to see in years 3/4 how JUCO's and Walk-on's are passed out -  once SF has a handle on his roster.

I felt like Riley was playing the “long game” too and didn’t have any urgency in producing a winning program.  I was discouraged when he spent most of his efforts on his 3rd recruiting class, instead of his 2nd. It seemed like he always wanted to be able to say that he needed more time to turn around the talent on the team. The sad part is that if Eichorst had been retained, Riley would still be here, too. 

I wouldn’t be surprised to see 7 jucos this year. We have serious holes to fill and need guys that qualify and are physically mature enough to play immediately. I don’t think jucos are a way to live long term but they most certainly will be necessary for short term success . 

And one area we are really in need of is offensive lineman yet I can’t remember one lineman that has made a significant contribution coming from the juco route. I don’t know know if it’s my memory or what. 

18 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

And one area we are really in need of is offensive lineman yet I can’t remember one lineman that has made a significant contribution coming from the juco route. I don’t know know if it’s my memory or what. 

Ricky Henry and Jermarcus Hardrick are the most recent ones i can think of

• Plus1 2

1 minute ago, chamrocck said:

Nice find.  I like what we are doing but I'm ready for some major upgrades in OL and DL.  

I wish we would have gone JUCO or even Grad Transfer last year at the NT position to help with the move to the 3/4. I cant remember exactly the timing of when we hired Diaco but how nice would it have been if we could have brought in a legit 3/4 Nose Tackle.

I think JUCO is a great idea for OL and DL to get some "beef" in here but also wouldnt mind just going Grad Transfer route to get a more mature/ready player.

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

I wish we would have gone JUCO or even Grad Transfer last year at the NT position to help with the move to the 3/4. I cant remember exactly the timing of when we hired Diaco but how nice would it have been if we could have brought in a legit 3/4 Nose Tackle.

I think JUCO is a great idea for OL and DL to get some "beef" in here but also wouldnt mind just going Grad Transfer route to get a more mature/ready player.

I dont think it matters what players were on the field last year. The coaching and team attitude was a losing culture.

• Plus1 3

11 hours ago, LumberJackSker said:

Ricky Henry and Jermarcus Hardrick are the most recent ones i can think of

Chongo Kondolo! Although I'm not sure it qualifies as a significant contribution.

2 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

I agree overall, some more developed athletes on the lines would help. I really don't think nose tackle was our problem last year, but it would be nice to keep Stoltenberg fresh.

1 minute ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I dont think it matters what players were on the field last year. The coaching and team attitude was a losing culture.

I think a legit NT would have drastically changed things but yes that wasnt the only glaring player out of place. Mick did the best he could, but he was so badly out of position.

2 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Chongo Kondolo! Although I'm not sure it qualifies as a significant contribution.

I agree overall, some more developed athletes on the lines would help. I really don't think nose tackle was our problem last year, but it would be nice to keep Stoltenberg fresh.

I agree that our LB core was the major issue, but i am thinking we could have found 1-2 Grad Transfers who could play D-line and eat up space and know the 3-4 Defense. LB I think would be harder to find(Ignore the fact we just added Hondus).

6 hours ago, I.M. OLD said:

Riley’s problem was total lack of coaching, not recruiting 

Eh, his recruiting results weren't that great either.

• Plus1 1

Just now, ScottyIce said:

His Recruiting was just fine

It was about the same as Bo.  This class had potential to be special, but you have to win games, not just the offseason.  

2 hours ago, Mavric said:

If you say it enough I'm sure you'll believe it.

It was fine on his signing days. Then down the road when you saw big pieces from each class not make it or leave changes the perception. 

'16 still has good potential.

'17 is tough to take right now

3 hours ago, Mavric said:

Eh, his recruiting results weren't that great either.

His recruits were much better than a 4 win, 2 plays away from a 2 win season. When every kid on the roster got worse, that’s coaching or lack there of. I am all for better athletes, but if you can not coach them it doesn’t matter. 

• Plus1 3

5 minutes ago, I.M. OLD said:

His recruits were much better than a 4 win, 2 plays away from a 2 win season. When every kid on the roster got worse, that’s coaching or lack there of. I am all for better athletes, but if you can not coach them it doesn’t matter. 

His recruiting results were better than a 4 win team, however, there was a myth that Riley recruiting MUCH BETTER than Bo.  Riley's recruits were about the same level.  That's they point that Mav was making.

• Plus1 1

I think his recruiting hype was far better than guys who actually signed on the dotted line. 

If we would have won 9 games this year, I think we could have gotten guys like Moore and Bookie but once they realized we weren't that good they booked.

The hype was there and we had visits from some impressive names.. They fell in love with the product and respected Riley but I don't think that made up for the lack of wins.

Frost can build and deliver on the hype... I hope.

• Plus1 2

43 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

I think his recruiting hype was far better than guys who actually signed on the dotted line. 

If we would have won 9 games this year, I think we could have gotten guys like Moore and Bookie but once they realized we weren't that good they booked.

The hype was there and we had visits from some impressive names.. They fell in love with the product and respected Riley but I don't think that made up for the lack of wins.

Frost can build and deliver on the hype... I hope.

Don't we all. 

I think we can agree it seems he doesn't just chase stars like Riley seemed to and cares more about the fit of the player. He also seems to really enjoy the process of recruiting and thinks you can get guys to come to Nebraska which Bo didn't seem too.

It appears to be a great middle ground. Like you said.. we hope.

Edited by spurs1990

6 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

I think Riley can coach, he just had a staff that could not develop players.

His clock management skills beg to differ. 

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, spurs1990 said:

Don't we all. 

I think we can agree it seems he doesn't just chase stars like Riley seemed to and cares more about the fit of the player. He also seems to really enjoy the process of recruiting and thinks you can get guys to come to Nebraska which Bo didn't seem too.

It appears to be a great middle ground. Like you said.. we hope.

Riley built hype thanks to in large part Keyshawn Johnson... I never understand what players saw outside of him being a super good guy and our amazing facilities.

Frost on the other hand is young, up and coming, won multiple coach of the year awards(for this year).. I get that hype.

Riley had a few really good recruiters on his staff that helped build the hype... and then once they got kids in the door, the allure of what Nebraska football truly is hooked a few kids.

To keep this on point: Juco players and other guys who can fit holes need to be the main focus moving forward. Forget stars and get in players that know our system and can grow in it and then coach them  up. I have no issue with adding a few JUCO's a year if they help this team. 

• Plus1 1

I hope we sign 2-4 JUCOs per year minimum. Plenty of high profile JUCOs that can help us every year. Held has the contacts and ability to make it happen and we would be stupid to not get JUCO help. It will help us cover the gap between our talent and the Ohio states of the world. Add a Lavonte David and Randy Gregory to a defense and see what happens 

• Plus1 2

On 12/21/2017 at 8:03 PM, grandpasknee said:

Am I right in remembering that Mike Rozier came to Nebraska from Colby Jr College?

Incorrect. I went there. He went to a juco somewhere else.

Edited by husker98

On 12/21/2017 at 6:19 PM, Huskers93-97 said:

It's probably more than what you will see moving forward. But no problem in the first year or 2 to snag more than usual. Then again if there is great talent at JUCO why pass on it any year 

I never saw the downside of Jucos, and wandered why we didn't take more. K-State loved those guys, and they helped K-State win.