JUCO Recruiting

On 2/2/2018 at 4:06 PM, Hedley Lamarr said:

This pisses me off....we have had an elite JUCO 45 mins away and have never even paid them a visit. We could have used a dozen or more of their guys over the last decade.

Ditto. It's ridiculous. I think as a rule I would recruit their best player every single year, and/or any decent player who gets offers from Iowa, Wisconsin, Northwestern, or Minnesota (until we prove we can beat NW and Minnesota 90% of the time). Even if they don't have a star every year, it would be worth the scholarship to build that long-term relationship with the IWCC coaches and players. And I think keeping a good player away from Wisconsin and Iowa would be worth it even if they don't end up starting for us. I would do the same at the one in Kansas (don't recall the name).

Edited by Moiraine
  • Mavric changed the title to JUCO Recruiting

Another article on IWCC

Although Strohmeier has sent 140 players to Football Bowl Subdivision schools during his tenure at the Council Bluffs school, he never once has sent one to Nebraska.

In fact, the Huskers have offered scholarships to a grand total of two Iowa Western players.

https://www.google.com/amp/journalstar.com/sports/huskers/sipple/steven-m-sipple-frost-s-relationship-with-iowa-western-coach/article_57a043ed-f3a5-5dd7-a72d-b53008f723b4.amp.html

He says he never met Pelini (just Cotton and another coach) and he met Riley but Riley never visited campus.

Also, Frost and Held have known the coach for a long time.

Edited by Moiraine
  • Plus1 1

I agree with others that it is an outrage that we did not visit this school more or offer players from here. But honestly, it would not have made that much of a difference for Riley's tenure here. A good relationship with the school would have helped, but I do not think Riley and co would have utilized them correctly here. One or two players from that team would not have made us an eight-win team, so it is frustrating we did not recruit here but is not a huge deal. Definitely should have gone after an OT or secondary Juco player, though Eichorst and his admin forbade it.

Now putting that aside, I am so refreshed to see our new staff doing their best to build relationships with nearby schools. We could use a couple D-lineman for depth from here and Frost and co. will definitely go after them if they need to. I think taking around 2-3 jucos a cycle should be good, get the best ones you can and fill the numbers with players that are physically ready to play and add depth. 

6 minutes ago, HuskermanMike said:

I agree with others that it is an outrage that we did not visit this school more or offer players from here. But honestly, it would not have made that much of a difference for Riley's tenure here. A good relationship with the school would have helped, but I do not think Riley and co would have utilized them correctly here. One or two players from that team would not have made us an eight-win team, so it is frustrating we did not recruit here but is not a huge deal. Definitely should have gone after an OT or secondary Juco player, though Eichorst and his admin forbade it.

Now putting that aside, I am so refreshed to see our new staff doing their best to build relationships with nearby schools. We could use a couple D-lineman for depth from here and Frost and co. will definitely go after them if they need to. I think taking around 2-3 jucos a cycle should be good, get the best ones you can and fill the numbers with players that are physically ready to play and add depth. 

It might not have made a huge difference in the results for Riley's teams, but I do think it's a big deal to have a coach that isn't too stupid to use this resource that's in our backyard. It's just another no-brainer in a long line of no-brainers that our previous coach(es) failed at.

With recruiting, the less time you have to spend finding the needle in the haystack, the better. We need California, Texas, Florida, Georgia, etc., but the more good players we can find near us, the better, because we have less chance of striking out with them, and less chance they'll transfer away.

Edited by Moiraine
3 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

It might not have made a huge difference in the results for Riley's teams, but I do think it's a big deal to have a coach that isn't too stupid to use this. It's just another no-brainer in a long line of no-brainers that our previous coach(es) failed at.

With recruiting, the less time you have to spend finding the needle in the haystack, the better.

Yes, it definitely should have been utilized. But stacking a team with Jucos or taking them just to take them because they are super close by is not what needs to be done in my opinion.(not saying you said that). I think we will only need about 2-3 potentially 4 Jucos every cycle. One or two from here would not hurt if Frost and staff believe they can help the team. In fact, we may be taking two from Iowa Western in the 2019 cycle and potentially Sargbah in the future as well. Basically, we took a lot more Jucos this year than we will take in the future because of all the glaring depth issues on the team. They are physically ready players that can potentially contribute right away if they work hard enough. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

On 2/3/2018 at 4:56 PM, swmohusker said:

I would be surprised if Woodyard,  bell, honas, and deontai are not starting or playing huge roles by conference play.  

And it’s not a big deal. I just think it’s worth re-iterating that it takes some time and for people not to expect all-conference type play from JUCOs right away.

I expect them to “swim” in the spring. Coaches like to throw everything at new guys one day, and then back off a bit the next because they want to see how the players respond to adversity. But it’s a big time change playing at this level.

2 hours ago, Caliborn72 said:

And it’s not a big deal. I just think it’s worth re-iterating that it takes some time and for people not to expect all-conference type play from JUCOs right away.

I expect them to “swim” in the spring. Coaches like to throw everything at new guys one day, and then back off a bit the next because they want to see how the players respond to adversity. But it’s a big time change playing at this level.

Yep.  Crazy.  He is swimming a bit.  They also said Barry has a tendency to do what he wants and free lance a bit.  Young and honas will be our starting Lbs.  But it will be a fight and we have solid depth at ILB.   Don't think this tweet disproves speculation of what will happen in the fall 

• Plus1 1
  • 4 weeks later...