JUCO Recruiting

2 hours ago, StPaulHusker said:

I’m getting the feeling that our coaches have 0 confidence in the current DB’s.  

Greg Smith from Hail Varsity said that it is very telling that they are still looking for immediate help in June.

Since you expressed this as a "feeling" ... I'll express that I get the "feeling" that perhaps Frost & Company "feel" that added the top JUCO DB in the country would be something worth doing because it makes the team deeper and stronger.  I "feel" it may not have as much to do with "0 confidence" as it does to just make the team better.

I'm not mocking your statement at all.  It might be spot on.  It's backed up by Greg Smith's thoughts as well.  I just don't even know if adding the top JUCO DB is "very telling" about "0 confidence" or if this move just makes the team better.  In the end, why would any team pass up the top JUCO DB if they could land them?  Thus, I don't even get this view.  Puzzling.  Even teams like Alabama add top JUCO talent ... and they have mostly 4 star and 5 star players.  Hmmm.

• Plus1 1
6 hours ago, BigRedN said:

Since you expressed this as a "feeling" ... I'll express that I get the "feeling" that perhaps Frost & Company "feel" that added the top JUCO DB in the country would be something worth doing because it makes the team deeper and stronger.  I "feel" it may not have as much to do with "0 confidence" as it does to just make the team better.

I'm not mocking your statement at all.  It might be spot on.  It's backed up by Greg Smith's thoughts as well.  I just don't even know if adding the top JUCO DB is "very telling" about "0 confidence" or if this move just makes the team better.  In the end, why would any team pass up the top JUCO DB if they could land them?  Thus, I don't even get this view.  Puzzling.  Even teams like Alabama add top JUCO talent ... and they have mostly 4 star and 5 star players.  Hmmm.

Travis Fishers comments over the last few days is another indication 

1 hour ago, StPaulHusker said:

Travis Fishers comments over the last few days is another indication 

He (I believe, but might have been Chin) has also been clear that we have half as many bodies in the room as we would like to. 

It could be a quality issue. 

It could be a quantity issue. 

Or it, likely imo, could be some of both. 

• Plus1 3
Just now, Dilly Dilly said:

What would make it an amazing get?  I don't see much info on him.

I am guessing quality late depth at a scarcely thin position group.  Interest from lsu and tcu speaks of the athleticism of this guy.  If the kid can play off the bat them great, but Fisher wants competitionback there and can't have competition without have some available bodies to compete.  

13 minutes ago, swmohusker said:

I am guessing quality late depth at a scarcely thin position group.  Interest from lsu and tcu speaks of the athleticism of this guy.  If the kid can play off the bat them great, but Fisher wants competitionback there and can't have competition without have some available bodies to compete.  

I suppose that's a good thing, but almost wish he was a 2/2 or 2/3  player, not 4 for 3.  He didn't stand out from what little i was able to find*, and if he doesnt stand out here either, we have his "services" for up to 3 years.   I don't know that he's been offered (yet), but if one is forthcoming, it's one I will question a little bit.

*i am not an evaluator of talent whatsoever, unless it's blatantly obvious that a guy has elite skills

4 minutes ago, Dilly Dilly said:

I suppose that's a good thing, but almost wish he was a 2/2 or 2/3  player, not 4 for 3.  He didn't stand out from what little i was able to find*, and if he doesnt stand out here either, we have his "services" for up to 3 years.   I don't know that he's been offered (yet), but if one is forthcoming, it's one I will question a little bit.

*i am not an evaluator of talent whatsoever, unless it's blatantly obvious that a guy has elite skills

He hasn't been offered yet.

I think we can weather having a couple kids like this (assuming that he's not a great player, which we don't know). It's not a long-term problem. At the very least I think it's worth taking a chance on a couple players at a thin position just to put more pressure on the would-be starters. And maybe they'll surprise us.

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, Moiraine said:

He hasn't been offered yet.

I think we can weather having a couple kids like this (assuming that he's not a great player, which we don't know). It's not a long-term problem. At the very least I think it's worth taking a chance on a couple players at a thin position just to put more pressure on the would-be starters. And maybe they'll surprise us.

Fair enough

• 3 weeks later...