JUCO Recruiting

• 2 weeks later...

• 1 month later...
11 minutes ago, spurs1990 said:

That seems a little high going forward

But we take 25 per year or per cycle and that turns out to be between 12-16 percent of the class. Does 2-3 per year sound better? That is literally one less than what I said, so it is within the ballpark. However, 2-4 is probably more likely. Four will be the high end and two the low so it will probably average out to around 3 or so per class. 

• Plus1 1

7 minutes ago, HuskermanMike said:

But we take 25 per year or per cycle and that turns out to be between 12-16 percent of the class. Does 2-3 per year sound better? That is literally one less than what I said, so it is within the ballpark. However, 2-4 is probably more likely. Four will be the high end and two the low so it will probably average out to around 3 or so per class. 

I was going to say 1-2. Had 5 last year where we desperately needed some plug and play type guys (Found 1 for sure, the others TBD) and 2 this year if we can even get them on campus. Now he's saying it'll be less of a focus. To me that means maybe he tries to find 1 maybe two spots to plug and play. Otherwise to me it seems he wants to go from the ground up with high school guys.

3 minutes ago, spurs1990 said:

I was going to say 1-2. Had 5 last year where we desperately needed some plug and play type guys (Found 1 for sure, the others TBD) and 2 this year if we can even get them on campus. Now he's saying it'll be less of a focus. To me that means maybe he tries to find 1 maybe two spots to plug and play. Otherwise to me it seems he wants to go from the ground up with high school guys.

Yea I definitely agree with that. Teams that load up on Jucos aren't winning championships at this level. I still believe that we take two or three depending on need, fit, misses etc. With my statement on four being a rarity. For 2020 we might take Dominick Watt again and some other stud that is ready to play.  With JuCos they are either ready to play or a wasted scholarship in my mind. They do help fill holes in the roster and can definitely provide immediate help. The thing is you have to find the right kind of JuCo player or they don't qualify or make it to campus on time as we see with our own cycle for 2019. 

• Plus1 1

The key word there is 'need'. Frost is always going to look at JUCO, transfers, and other secondary means of acquiring talent. With the JUCO talent within our radius, it's foolish not to keep an eye on it.

But any well maintained program shouldn't need to get JUCO talent because that means you're failing to plan for the natural attrition intrinsic to college football. There is a difference here between necessity and being opportunistic.

I get what Frost is saying.  And I generally agree.

But it looks like we're only taking two at most here and it might end up at one.  

I think 2-3 per class is pretty handy.  Get a ready-made starter at a couple positions of need.  So I think in practice it will end up being about where we were at this year - would probably have taken an OT if we found a fit.

10 hours ago, Mavric said:

I get what Frost is saying.  And I generally agree.

But it looks like we're only taking two at most here and it might end up at one.  

I think 2-3 per class is pretty handy.  Get a ready-made starter at a couple positions of need.  So I think in practice it will end up being about where we were at this year - would probably have taken an OT if we found a fit.

It also takes the pressure of the freshman to come in and perform right off the bat. Allows us to maybe redshirt some kids and get them in our strength and conditioning program. Especially all the O-lineman we took this cycle.