JUCO Recruiting

I like the way we attack the Juco market, but we need better results going forward. Last years crop is looking a bit dud ish thus far with Bell leaving, Woodyard and Williams doing next to nothing. The defenders didn't see the field much either though Deontai Williams was good in limited action and Honas was limited by injury. Hopefully we see more from these guys next season and we can get a bit more out of our Juco recruits going forward. I'm confident in this staffs ability.

2 minutes ago, spurs1990 said:

Is it just me or did this come out of left field? I assume we are looking at him on OL not DL. 

Was Bland going to play Center. Thought he was a Guard. 

Still interested if we were to bring in Bland if grades work out. 

15 minutes ago, Ziebol said:

He’s a walk on

ahhhh... nevermind to my previous statement. 

An extra body/depth. 

6 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

Is it just me or did this come out of left field? I assume we are looking at him on OL not DL. 

Was Bland going to play Center. Thought he was a Guard. 

Still interested if we were to bring in Bland if grades work out. 

ahhhh... nevermind to my previous statement. 

An extra body/depth. 

He could compete though. Good news is they ran shotgun at IWCC so he's already got that portion down. Not that many teams run under center but doesn't hurt his chances to already be proficient at that.

HUDL looks like he might get a lot of holding calls based on his pancake/tackle blocks. Looks very physical though! Even if he ends up scout team, what an opportunity for our dline to go up against a more mature and experienced player.

Also doesn't hurt to FINALLY utilize IWCC and have that door open in the future.

Rated the No. 1 junior college center by JCGridiron.com, the native of Algona, Iowa, will continue to recover from a torn ligament in his foot before arriving in Lincoln for summer conditioning.

Wegener said Nebraska encouraged him to wait to arrive until the summer because he could earn better academic scholarships. The 20-year-old prospect left Iowa Western with a 4.0 grade-point average this month.

https://www.omaha.com/huskers/football/recruiting/signing-day/iowa-western-s-joshua-wegener-the-top-rated-juco-center/article_911d91f0-1954-5319-a611-cb01dc0d91c0.html

• Plus1 2
  • 4 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Scarlet Overkill said:

Question - the two guys (Watt and Canty) who went Juco last year — do we have to reoffer (if there was mutual interest)?  

Basically yes.  It sounds like we'd take Watt back if he has things in order.  I don't think Canty really played this year and with the tackles we got in the 2019 class, if we're looking good with 2020 guys I'm not sure we'd still be interested.

• Fire 1
1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Basically yes.  It sounds like we'd take Watt back if he has things in order.  I don't think Canty really played this year and with the tackles we got in the 2019 class, if we're looking good with 2020 guys I'm not sure we'd still be interested.

from what you posted about Andrus Peat in the NFL a few weeks ago, we could use a 6' 5" guard to have a pro offensive line..... 

I wonder if we don't string some guys along a little bit, because I doubt Canty ends up at Garden City without our influence.

Just something to think about, obviously no real absolute knowledge. 

• 2 weeks later...