Jump to content
ScottyIce

JUCO Recruiting

Recommended Posts

Apparently he could be immediately eligible and show up in the summer.  Would play a similar position to Breon Dixon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, ADS said:

Apparently he could be immediately eligible and show up in the summer.  Would play a similar position to Breon Dixon.

 

Totally unexpected and if he commits and comes here, would be an amazing get.  

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m getting the feeling that our coaches have 0 confidence in the current DB’s.  

 

Greg Smith from Hail Varsity said that it is very telling that they are still looking for immediate help in June.

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

I’m getting the feeling that our coaches have 0 confidence in the current DB’s.  

 

Greg Smith from Hail Varsity said that it is very telling that they are still looking for immediate help in June.

I’m guessing they finally got around to watching last years film 

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BlitzFirst said:

 

Totally unexpected and if he commits and comes here, would be an amazing get.  

 

I agree with you 100%.  I love how Frost and his staff are going hard after top JUCOs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, StPaulHusker said:

I’m getting the feeling that our coaches have 0 confidence in the current DB’s.  

 

Greg Smith from Hail Varsity said that it is very telling that they are still looking for immediate help in June.

 

Since you expressed this as a "feeling" ... I'll express that I get the "feeling" that perhaps Frost & Company "feel" that added the top JUCO DB in the country would be something worth doing because it makes the team deeper and stronger.  I "feel" it may not have as much to do with "0 confidence" as it does to just make the team better.

I'm not mocking your statement at all.  It might be spot on.  It's backed up by Greg Smith's thoughts as well.  I just don't even know if adding the top JUCO DB is "very telling" about "0 confidence" or if this move just makes the team better.  In the end, why would any team pass up the top JUCO DB if they could land them?  Thus, I don't even get this view.  Puzzling.  Even teams like Alabama add top JUCO talent ... and they have mostly 4 star and 5 star players.  Hmmm.

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BigRedN said:

 

Since you expressed this as a "feeling" ... I'll express that I get the "feeling" that perhaps Frost & Company "feel" that added the top JUCO DB in the country would be something worth doing because it makes the team deeper and stronger.  I "feel" it may not have as much to do with "0 confidence" as it does to just make the team better.

I'm not mocking your statement at all.  It might be spot on.  It's backed up by Greg Smith's thoughts as well.  I just don't even know if adding the top JUCO DB is "very telling" about "0 confidence" or if this move just makes the team better.  In the end, why would any team pass up the top JUCO DB if they could land them?  Thus, I don't even get this view.  Puzzling.  Even teams like Alabama add top JUCO talent ... and they have mostly 4 star and 5 star players.  Hmmm.

Travis Fishers comments over the last few days is another indication 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Frost wants to come in and win TODAY. Other coaches would be like yeah our DBs aren't good we will recruit that hard for the 19' class. Frost says nah, we gonna get them to play in 2018. Love it

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, StPaulHusker said:

Travis Fishers comments over the last few days is another indication 

He (I believe, but might have been Chin) has also been clear that we have half as many bodies in the room as we would like to. 

 

It could be a quality issue. 

 

It could be a quantity issue. 

 

Or it, likely imo, could be some of both. 

  • Plus1 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^^ For me ... this makes the most sense to me.  And, like @BIG ERN said, let's win now!  

I enjoy how a forum can "round out" a discussion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dilly Dilly said:

 

What would make it an amazing get?  I don't see much info on him.

I am guessing quality late depth at a scarcely thin position group.  Interest from lsu and tcu speaks of the athleticism of this guy.  If the kid can play off the bat them great, but Fisher wants competitionback there and can't have competition without have some available bodies to compete.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, swmohusker said:

I am guessing quality late depth at a scarcely thin position group.  Interest from lsu and tcu speaks of the athleticism of this guy.  If the kid can play off the bat them great, but Fisher wants competitionback there and can't have competition without have some available bodies to compete.  

 

I suppose that's a good thing, but almost wish he was a 2/2 or 2/3  player, not 4 for 3.  He didn't stand out from what little i was able to find*, and if he doesnt stand out here either, we have his "services" for up to 3 years.   I don't know that he's been offered (yet), but if one is forthcoming, it's one I will question a little bit.

 

*i am not an evaluator of talent whatsoever, unless it's blatantly obvious that a guy has elite skills

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Dilly Dilly said:

 

I suppose that's a good thing, but almost wish he was a 2/2 or 2/3  player, not 4 for 3.  He didn't stand out from what little i was able to find*, and if he doesnt stand out here either, we have his "services" for up to 3 years.   I don't know that he's been offered (yet), but if one is forthcoming, it's one I will question a little bit.

 

*i am not an evaluator of talent whatsoever, unless it's blatantly obvious that a guy has elite skills

 

 

 

He hasn't been offered yet.

 

I think we can weather having a couple kids like this (assuming that he's not a great player, which we don't know). It's not a long-term problem. At the very least I think it's worth taking a chance on a couple players at a thin position just to put more pressure on the would-be starters. And maybe they'll surprise us.

  • Plus1 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Moiraine said:

 

 

He hasn't been offered yet.

 

I think we can weather having a couple kids like this (assuming that he's not a great player, which we don't know). It's not a long-term problem. At the very least I think it's worth taking a chance on a couple players at a thin position just to put more pressure on the would-be starters. And maybe they'll surprise us.

 

Fair enough

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BigRedN said:

 

Where do you think Frost & Co. would play him?  DL or LB?

No idea- I don’t think there is any evidence we are even pusueing him 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

No idea- I don’t think there is any evidence we are even pusueing him 

A completely speculative post on my part. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, theknife said:

 

I don't care one way or the other, but i found it funny that the article mentioned that the SEC suddenly has a moral high ground by not taking transfers that were dismissed for a serious incident

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We appear to be in the top 3 for Kuony Deng. Us, A&M, and Texas. Would be a nice get. 

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

It seems like under Frost we end up in the top group with alot of kids no one is talking about on this board. Ninja recruiting.

Meh. Riley was the king of top groups. 

  • Plus1 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Something else not being talked about enough. The organized effort by Frost to attack all possible avenues to better the team. High School Recruits, Juco Recruits, Grad Transfers, JUCO kids who were immediately eligible. Awesome effort I think to get kids who can help this season to flip the roster- blend it with JUCO kids who can help next year and also high school kids to develop the roster for a long term strategy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, desertshox said:

i take it garden city doesnt throw the ball much. given watt's highlights in that game were warmups and a kickoff coverage.

 

Yeah, the HOL guys said they are very run-heavy.  Something like 300+ yards rushing per game.

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/15/2018 at 11:36 AM, StPaulHusker said:

Speaking of Independence CC.  The Netflix curse got them this year.  After winning the conference last year, they are 1-5 with 5 straight losses

And the coach was suspended for a game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

And the coach was suspended for a game.

The coach seems like a terrible person to be completely honest. I would not want to play for him.

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HuskermanMike said:

I agree 100 percent. We take 3-4 per class and that is all we will need for that cycle.

That seems a little high going forward

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, spurs1990 said:

That seems a little high going forward

But we take 25 per year or per cycle and that turns out to be between 12-16 percent of the class. Does 2-3 per year sound better? That is literally one less than what I said, so it is within the ballpark. However, 2-4 is probably more likely. Four will be the high end and two the low so it will probably average out to around 3 or so per class. 

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, HuskermanMike said:

But we take 25 per year or per cycle and that turns out to be between 12-16 percent of the class. Does 2-3 per year sound better? That is literally one less than what I said, so it is within the ballpark. However, 2-4 is probably more likely. Four will be the high end and two the low so it will probably average out to around 3 or so per class. 

I was going to say 1-2. Had 5 last year where we desperately needed some plug and play type guys (Found 1 for sure, the others TBD) and 2 this year if we can even get them on campus. Now he's saying it'll be less of a focus. To me that means maybe he tries to find 1 maybe two spots to plug and play. Otherwise to me it seems he wants to go from the ground up with high school guys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, spurs1990 said:

I was going to say 1-2. Had 5 last year where we desperately needed some plug and play type guys (Found 1 for sure, the others TBD) and 2 this year if we can even get them on campus. Now he's saying it'll be less of a focus. To me that means maybe he tries to find 1 maybe two spots to plug and play. Otherwise to me it seems he wants to go from the ground up with high school guys.

Yea I definitely agree with that. Teams that load up on Jucos aren't winning championships at this level. I still believe that we take two or three depending on need, fit, misses etc. With my statement on four being a rarity. For 2020 we might take Dominick Watt again and some other stud that is ready to play.  With JuCos they are either ready to play or a wasted scholarship in my mind. They do help fill holes in the roster and can definitely provide immediate help. The thing is you have to find the right kind of JuCo player or they don't qualify or make it to campus on time as we see with our own cycle for 2019. 

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The key word there is 'need'. Frost is always going to look at JUCO, transfers, and other secondary means of acquiring talent. With the JUCO talent within our radius, it's foolish not to keep an eye on it.

 

But any well maintained program shouldn't need to get JUCO talent because that means you're failing to plan for the natural attrition intrinsic to college football. There is a difference here between necessity and being opportunistic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I get what Frost is saying.  And I generally agree.

 

But it looks like we're only taking two at most here and it might end up at one.  

 

I think 2-3 per class is pretty handy.  Get a ready-made starter at a couple positions of need.  So I think in practice it will end up being about where we were at this year - would probably have taken an OT if we found a fit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×