N-2007.gif

Player: Demetrious Davis

Hometown: St. Joseph's, MO

Position: DL

Height: 6’4"

Weight: 280

40 time: 5.0

Visit Date:

Scholarships offered: Alabama, Kansas State, Arkansas, Colorado, Colorado State, Iowa, Missouri and Nebraska

Favorites: Committed to Nebraska

Rankings/Stars:

Rivals:

Bid Red Report:

Assessing the talent:

Odds of becoming a Cornhusker: 50% The combo of Blake/Cosgrove reel in another Mizzou product.....GRADES

Demetrious Davis

DT 6-2 285 St. Joseph, Mo. - Benton HS

“It was an easy choice. I’ve been wanting to play for Nebraska since I was a little kid. I’ve dreamed of playing for them forever and finally got my chance to do it...so I did it.”

IMO, we still have 2 commits.

After Freeman, this guy just makes me shaky. With him saying just 2-3 days ago he was 80% sure he was going to 'Bama, now he commits to us?

Sorry to doom and gloom, it just makes me nervous when I read things like that.

Hopefully he's a man of his word and is completely 100% commited as he said.

After Freeman, this guy just makes me shaky. With him saying just 2-3 days ago he was 80% sure he was going to 'Bama, now he commits to us?

Actually, that's what makes me think he will definitely NOT decommit. If the guy was that much of an Alabama lean, and then took an unofficial to NU as was so blown away that he basically committed on the spot, that tells me he was pretty impressed and is a firm commit. Also, from reading some of his quotes, it sounds like he has kind of always dreamed of playing for Nebraska.

This guy sounded like he was wanting to be a husker at birth...sure we have heard that before, but it sounds legit to me...

Actually, that's what makes me think he will definitely NOT decommit. If the guy was that much of an Alabama lean, and then took an unofficial to NU as was so blown away that he basically committed on the spot, that tells me he was pretty impressed and is a firm commit. Also, from reading some of his quotes, it sounds like he has kind of always dreamed of playing for Nebraska.

Maybe it's a Missouri thing. Grant Wistrom was set on going to Michigan until a week or so before signing day and then changed his mind. It'll be a roller coaster ride before it all plays out.

Player: Demetrious Davis

Hometown: St. Joseph's, MO

Position: DL

Height: 6’4"

Weight: 280

40 time: 5.0

Visit Date:

Scholarships offered: Alabama, Kansas State, Arkansas, Colorado, Colorado State, Iowa, Missouri and Nebraska

Favorites: Committed to Nebraska

Rankings/Stars:

Rivals:

Bid Red Report:

Assessing the talent:

Odds of becoming a Cornhusker: 75% The combo of Blake/Cosgrove reel in another Mizzou product.

Thanks, Eric...hope he pans out for us...any found video would be great, although i don't usually see DT's in videos too often.

I agree, that's why I have him at 75%. Anyone who comes in for a "weekend unofficial" after being offered just three days ago is questionable.

Missouri defensive lineman chooses NU

BY STEVEN M. SIPPLE / Lincoln Journal Star

Saturday, Jun 03, 2006 - 12:05:42 am CDT

Demetrious Davis has played only one season of high school football. That one season evidently made a lasting impression on several college coaches, including Nebraska’s. The 6-foot-4, 285-pound defensive lineman orally committed Friday to accept the Huskers’ scholarship offer, becoming the third player to announce his intention to join NU’s class of 2007.

Davis, of St. Joseph, Mo., said he turned down scholarship offers from Colorado, Colorado State, Arkansas, Alabama, Missouri, Kansas State, Kansas and Iowa.

Asked why he decided to make a commitment this early in the recruiting process, Davis said, “I just wanted to get all of the pressure off of me. Recruiting has a lot of pressure. I just wanted to get it off my chest.”

Davis made an unofficial visit to the NU campus Thursday. He said he has already canceled a similar visit to Alabama that was scheduled for next week.

Advertisement

“I didn’t want to waste my money,” he said. “Nebraska just blew me away when I was up there.”

Davis reportedly made 70 tackles last season, including six sacks, for 9-3 Benton High, which competes in Missouri’s third-largest classification. Mike Rucker, a standout defensive end at Nebraska from 1994-98, attended Benton, as did brother Martin Rucker, a tight end at Missouri.

“Davis is a headache (to play against),” said Jim Sardo, head coach at rival St. Joseph Lafayette High. “He’s got a very quick first step. He’s very explosive off the ball. He’s an imposing, dominant factor.”

Davis said he was academically ineligible to participate as a sophomore. As a freshman, “I kind of quit the team because I was a fat boy and I couldn’t hang through practice,” he said. “I finally got to play last season, and I guess I just blew up.”

Davis said he now has a 3.4 grade-point average on a 4.0 scale.

As for his selection of Nebraska, he said, “I’ve dreamed about being a Cornhusker since I was a little kid. Five national championships — you can’t get any better than that.”

Nebraska defensive coordinator Kevin Cosgrove played the lead role in Davis’ recruitment.

“It seems like I’ve known him forever,” Davis said. “The Nebraska coaches treat you with so much respect and dignity. I just really, really like Nebraska football.”

Turning down Missouri apparently wasn’t a problem.

“I’m not a big Missouri fan anyway,” he said.

Others known to have orally committed to join Nebraska’s class of 2007 are wideout Niles Paul of Omaha and defensive back DeAndre West of Oakland, Calif.

Reach Steven M. Sipple at 473-7440 or ssipple@journalstar.com.