Huskers Offense Always in 'Attack Mode'

Mavric

9 hours ago, Mavric said:

I think you're confusing him with someone else.  Under Beck we were ALWAYS at Top 20 rushing offense and sometimes in the Top 10.  He's also responsible for 4 of the Top 10 career rushers in Husker history.

Your right we did run well against Illinois,rutgers, and the other struggling teams of the conference. And there were many when he was here. Our hurry up offense racked up the points and yards and set records.

But what good is that if you don't win titles.

against Michigan state and Wisconsin those final years, games we needed to win to go to a title game we couldn't run the ball.

Against wiskey we ran it 46 times for 118 yards. Whiskey piled on 400, with one guy.

Against MSU only 47 yards on 37 attempts. 

When it mattered beck had nothing but a quick 3 and out.

In those games I saw a lack of creativity and imagination. Something I felt you needed to run on those defenses. Instead we were painfully predictable, and shut down because of it. 

That's my two cents. 

• Plus1 5

On 12/23/2017 at 8:11 PM, In the Deed the Glory said:

You can't remember any great games or Husker Legends over the last 15 years?

Lol, right?

Just players alone there are plenty memorable ones and many that have become staples of Husker lore, AKA Legends.

Eric Crouch, Jamal Lord, Pork Chop, Mo Purify, Zac Taylor, Ganz, Niles Paul, Helu, Burkhead, Abdullah, Kenny Bell, Jordan Westerkamp, Martinez, Armstrong, Stanley Morgan... Just off the top of my head

How about defense? Carlos Polk, Bo and Barret, Will Compton, Zach Potter, Barry Turner, Phil Dil, Prince, Gomes, Dennard, Asante, Crick, some guy named Suh, Courtney Osborne, Matt O'Hannlon

Games: Sea of Red in South Bend, Crouches scramble at Mizzou, 2001 OU, Zac Taylor's drive against aTm, 2009 Gator Bowl, 2009 Missouri, 2010 Missouri, 2009 CU, 2009 Big 12 championship game, Martinez scortching KSU, 2011 tOSU comeback, the hail marry against Northwestern...

If you don't remember then you probably weren't watching.

5 hours ago, NWHuskerfan said:

I do and then some. I say by 17.  UCF never played a team as complete as Auburn.  Whole different level of Football.

A 17 point victory is being taken to the woodshed "and then some" ?

Mmk...

So is a 14 point victory the woodshed?

7 points is a mere blowout?

3 points is a sound victory?

Edited by Moiraine
  • Plus1 1

5 hours ago, ZRod said:

Lol, right?

Just players alone there are plenty memorable ones and many that have become staples of Husker lore, AKA Legends.

Eric Crouch, Jamal Lord, Pork Chop, Mo Purify, Zac Taylor, Ganz, Niles Paul, Helu, Burkhead, Abdullah, Kenny Bell, Jordan Westerkamp, Martinez, Armstrong, Stanley Morgan... Just off the top of my head

How about defense? Carlos Polk, Bo and Barret, Will Compton, Zach Potter, Barry Turner, Phil Dil, Prince, Gomes, Dennard, Asante, Crick, some guy named Suh, Courtney Osborne, Matt O'Hannlon

Games: Sea of Red in South Bend, Crouches scramble at Mizzou, 2001 OU, Zac Taylor's drive against aTm, 2009 Gator Bowl, 2009 Missouri, 2010 Missouri, 2009 CU, 2009 Big 12 championship game, Martinez scortching KSU, 2011 tOSU comeback, the hail marry against Northwestern...

If you don't remember then you probably weren't watching.

Don’t forget Lavonte David!

• Plus1 1
33 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

Just listened to the interview.  He didn't say that at all or anything close to it.

Here's a quote recently from Frost.  Looks like he is confident he has the players in place now to run what he wants.  Didn't listen to the above, so I can't comment to Walter's comments.

1. "I think we have good pieces on the team in Lincoln, and I think they probably had more talent on the team last year than what the record (4-8, 3-6 Big Ten) indicates, so we're excited to get to work with the guys who already are on the campus in Lincoln."

That was Frost's response to the very first question he fielded from media last week regarding Nebraska's 2018 recruiting class. When a reporter asked for the coach's impressions of the class, Frost first expressed confidence in players already on campus before elaborating on incoming players.

Talk about refreshing.

I go back to former Nebraska athletic director Shawn Eichorst's comments two days before the Music City Bowl in late 2016. He said the key for Mike Riley's program going forward was talent acquisition. That was a prevailing media and fan narrative during most of Riley's tenure — that he inherited a deficient roster and needed ample time to improve overall talent level. To Riley's credit, he never pushed the narrative, but Eichorst did.

Common sense tells you it's dangerous for any program to allow a prominent part of its culture to be one that forever suggests the next batch of players will be the answer. The message Eichorst — who had far too heavy of a hand in Riley's program — sent to Nebraska players before the Music City Bowl essentially was, "You're not good enough, but we'll be much better in the future." I'm sure that inspired confidence throughout the roster.

On the other hand, Frost's immediate approach ("I think we already have good pieces on the team in Lincoln") is more in line with the thinking of a high-level competitor who's bound and determined to win now — or at least compete! — as opposed to an excuse-laden culture that tends to place too much emphasis on the future while the program routinely gets its teeth kicked in on fall Saturdays.

Rest of article here...

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/sipple/steven-m-sipple-frost-s-comments-suggest-sorely-needed-style/article_1e9bc36e-e845-5c35-9190-89b280473f3b.amp.html

• Plus1 3

4 hours ago, BlitzFirst said:

Just listened to the interview.  He didn't say that at all or anything close to it.

Did I say he did? 

I got the vibe that he sounds excited about this opportunity in Lincoln. He said the turnaround would be much quicker than at UCF, which sounds like we have the athletes ready to make this offense work. I think the turnaround here will be quicker and easier than at UCF because we have better overall talent than they did. 

No, he did not say that directly, but I put the pieces together for a short synopsis of what his confidence level is. He sounds eager and tweeted Morgan earlier this month, confidence in players you barely know sounds like he thinks the offense could work sooner rather than later.

On 12/25/2017 at 8:10 AM, Moiraine said:

A 17 point victory is being taken to the woodshed "and then some" ?

Mmk...

So is a 14 point victory the woodshed?

7 points is a mere blowout?

3 points is a sound victory?

Well I'll restate 17 plus.  The spread by Vegas is 10.  So yes an undefeated  team  that gets beat in a highly ranked bowl by 17 plus is a woodshed beat down in my Mindset.

Auburn beat Bama  by 12 and has played 3/4 playoff teams.  Thankfully the playoff selection talking heads had enough sense to understand strength of schedule

and not even consider UCF.

But all Nebraska fans want to believe.  I heard several people state, but Memphis beat 6-6 UCLA.  Anyone see what Iowa State did to UCLA.?

Not to mention the fact that UCF players running their mouths about SEC speed.  Not a good idea to talk trash.  Auburn Defense held most teams under 20 points per game.

I like Frost and wanted him hired 3 years ago. He is a winner and I see him making Nebraska respected again.  Currently nobody fears Nebraska.  

I hope Frost gets the bowl win, but realistically I just don't see it.

If he gets the win then I'll celebrate and be happy.   I'll  be the first to admit I'm wrong.   But SEC is whole different level then AAC UCF.

22 minutes ago, NWHuskerfan said:

Well I'll restate 17 plus.  The spread by Vegas is 10.  So yes an undefeated  team  that gets beat in a highly ranked bowl by 17 plus is a woodshed beat down in my Mindset.

Auburn beat Bama  by 12 and has played 3/4 playoff teams.  Thankfully the playoff selection talking heads had enough sense to understand strength of schedule

and not even consider UCF.

But all Nebraska fans want to believe.  I heard several people state, but Memphis beat 6-6 UCLA.  Anyone see what Iowa State did to UCLA.?

Not to mention the fact that UCF players running their mouths about SEC speed.  Not a good idea to talk trash.  Auburn Defense held most teams under 20 points per game.

I like Frost and wanted him hired 3 years ago. He is a winner and I see him making Nebraska respected again.  Currently nobody fears Nebraska.  

I hope Frost gets the bowl win, but realistically I just don't see it.

If he gets the win then I'll celebrate and be happy.   I'll  be the first to admit I'm wrong.   But SEC is whole different level then AAC UCF.

Being "taken to the woodshed and then some" has the same definition whether you're 0-12 or 12-0, and your definition is off.

• 2 weeks later...