Political Priorities

36 minutes ago, commando said:

lately all i can do is hold my nose and vote for the lesser of the evils.   this year i hated clinton...but thought trump was so much worse that i couldn't vote for anyone other than clinton.  just give me someone who i may not agree with...but who i think is smart and honest and really has the best interest of the country rather than these extremists ideals and i would consider it a big improvement.

This is another good one.

I'm tired of people promising stuff just to get elected. We need someone who actually walks the walk. A lot of people felt Clinton was dishonest and it's not a stretch to say Trump is quite possibly the most dishonest figure we've ever had in national politics.

I think the opposite is also a big reason people were attracted to Bernie & Kasich. 

If I was running against Trump in 2020, I'd mostly ignore his behavior, but I"d make it a point to drive home how dishonest he is & how he's made a lot of promises to people it's clear he has no intention of fulfilling.

• Plus1 1

Get the special-interests/lobbies out of government decisions. Nothing good can come of government basically being for-sale

Seek free-market solutions rather than more crony-capitalism or just adding more bureaucracy/laws/taxes. 

Personal freedoms should be respected. Personal responsibility should be taken. 

Do our best to equalize opportunity while accepting that outcome will not be equal. A true meritocracy is impossible but it should damn well be the goal. 

Decrease government waste, including our bloated military spending, and balance the budget. 

Edited by Danimal
  • Plus1 1
12 hours ago, LadyGlitterSparkles said:

Once you look at my list, I think you'll see why I'm to the point where I don't know if I can, in good conscience, vote anymore.

1) Pro-life - This is an absolute requirement. I have never and will never vote for someone who is not pro-life. Yes, I am a woman. And as a woman who has been pregnant twice (and blessedly has 2 beautiful young boys), my feelings on this topic have only gotten stronger as I've gotten older.

2) Universal health care - Sadly, the candidates who are with me on issue #1 are inexplicably against me here. I am also a strong Christian and I will not look my Lord in the eye one day and tell Him that I was in favor of letting anyone, particularly children, die because they couldn't afford to see a doctor.

3) Legalize marijuana - I've never touched the stuff and have on interest in ever doing so. But to me, it just seems logical to make it legal and tax it the same way we do tobacco. In addition, I'm tired of people being sent to jail over something that is, as far as I can tell, actually less dangerous than alcohol. Remove the burden from our courts and prisons, stop creating criminals who now have had their lives and families destroyed, and take in more money in taxes... seems win/win/win to me.

4) Fight for the 2nd Amendment - Strong proponent of the right to protect myself and my family and will not vote for anyone who seeks to take that right from me.

Find me a candidate that is with me on all 4 of these and I could overlook a lot of other issues.

I hope you are able to find someone deserving of your vote.  People fought very hard for us to have that right.  

Have you thought of running for office?  Perhaps there are others with your values who are looking for the same ideals. 

Seems a shame to not participate and take whatever the rest of us give you rather than use your power to ensure at least several of your beliefs are represented.  

• Plus1 2
29 minutes ago, Fru said:

I'm curious how many people actually do desire it. I'm sure it's not a large percentage of the population, but seeing interviews with some of the Trumpanzee's out there, it seems to me that some people do want that "Dear Leader" that they put their faith in implicitly. 

Exactly.  Just like nobody ever "wants" to join a cult, and yet many do.

• Plus1 2

2 hours ago, Fru said:

I'm curious how many people actually do desire it. I'm sure it's not a large percentage of the population, but seeing interviews with some of the Trumpanzee's out there, it seems to me that some people do want that "Dear Leader" that they put their faith in implicitly. 

Trump unquestionably desires it. Among the populace, I think there's a healthy strain of authoritarian wishes -- maybe it's our culture, maybe it's humanity generally. But it's a smaller number that's hardcore, probably, versus people who are just OK with it or would allow it. Which is why I think it's important to think of it as the priority, or we'll find ways to justify measures of support, accommodation, or even unwitting aid.

• Plus1 2

All,

In an attempt to crack down one some inappropriate terms here, please read:

Just as referring to people as 'snowflakes' and 'libtards' often leads to issues on this board, referring to Trump supporters as 'Trumpanzees' is unacceptable. It doesn't matter if it's a joke or not since, inevitably, we have people all walks of life and political affiliations here. That type of rhetoric can be a turnoff and cause issues.

Thanks! :cheers

• Plus1 2

If I'd answered this 2 years ago, maintaining our Democracy would have been way down the list. Gerrymandering has been very important for a long time but other than that I took our Democracy for granted.

Now I'd put it up there at or near the top. Not a day goes by when Trump doesn't try to weaken it, and the GOP is doing nothing to stop him. We'll be lucky if it exists 3-7 years from now.

Make Gerrymandering illegal. No district shape should have more than 6 sides, unless it borders something natural, like a winding river or a lake.

Others:

Scientific integrity. Politicians should not be making science decisions, nor censoring scientific findings they don't like. This is another thing I shouldn't have to ask for. This shouldn't be a partisan issue but it is. Same goes for every damn agency Trump has put a moron in charge of, or someone who wants to destroy that agency.

Related to the above - protect the environment

Raise taxes on the top 5%, and don't lower taxes on the rest. At the same time, get rid of all subsidies that go to the wealthy

Legalize marijuana

Edited by Moiraine
  • Plus1 2

I believe most Democrats are pro-life.  They, just as Republicans, want to eliminate abortions if possible, but at the same time are aware of Constitutional rights of women.  So instead of fighting a losing battle of writing unconstitutional laws, they instead fight abortion with things like sex education, health care, birth control, etc.  And it works; abortions are for from eliminated but they are less common than they were even 10 years ago.

As far as gun rights go, no reasonable Democratic candidate has ever suggested taking away the right of Americans to own guns and protect themselves.

I feel like many Nebraska voters base their votes on these issues (for no real reason actually) and fail to vote on candidates who may actually make there lives better; at the very least the lives of their neighbors.

20 hours ago, funhusker said:

I believe most Democrats are pro-life.  They, just as Republicans, want to eliminate abortions if possible, but at the same time are aware of Constitutional rights of women.  So instead of fighting a losing battle of writing unconstitutional laws, they instead fight abortion with things like sex education, health care, birth control, etc.  And it works; abortions are for from eliminated but they are less common than they were even 10 years ago.

As far as gun rights go, no reasonable Democratic candidate has ever suggested taking away the right of Americans to own guns and protect themselves.

I feel like many Nebraska voters base their votes on these issues (for no real reason actually) and fail to vote on candidates who may actually make there lives better; at the very least the lives of their neighbors.

Agree with this. Republicans build up these enemies that don't exist, then attack them. They've done little to nothing about abortions when they've been in power and the Democrats have done little to nothing about gun rights.

Edited by Moiraine
  • Plus1 1