Way Too Early 2018 Depth Chart

BIG ERN

1 minute ago, FaithfulHusker said:

You may be right, I was just thinking about the best front 7 the makes sense for what the coaching staff wants to do by being an attacking style of defense. 

I don’t disagree with your guys at the front 7, was just commenting about the field/boundary designations. Will be interesting to see how it plays out. 

14 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I am hoping we start to see the winter conditioning and testing results being published so we have a better idea of what kind of atheticism we actually have on the team.   We need to see the legit shuttle runs and 40 times and the lifting and heights and weights, etc.  

This information used to be put out by Epley and the strengtrh program annually.  This gave us a lot better tangible way to really evaluate the raw talent and athletic ability of the players.  It eliminates the debates about speed, quickness, strength, height and weight, etc.  This way, if you have a given player who runs a 4.75 forty, you can't complain if the RB turns the corner on him because he doesn't get there in time and vice versa.  If he is fast, but doesn't make the play, it is because of poor coaching and or not learning his responsibilities or making the effort.  

This way, you don't have to argue about whether the coaching is the problem or the talent.   You know - if they are slow plow horses, you don't win the derby but you pull like hell.  You put your athletes in places where they can excell and not fail because they simply lack the ability to do the job.  

IIRC, when Boyd came back, he conducted some testing and gave some numerical as far as the most "athletic" team at NU. It was the women's volleyball team......They just won the NC......

I think this team is truly in for a shock.  both in the culture shift and the work that Frost and Co will actually make them do....

I'd love to see the old Husker Power stuff come back out.  Like you, I loved to see the testing results back in the day.  

Yes, and I recall Boyd stated that as a team we have a ways to go to get to the level of athleticism, etc we need to be to win championships.  I understand the reason they don't release the individual and or team results to the public.  It reveals a great deal to our opponents about our team strengths and or weaknesses.   But, when the results were no longer released to the public (the last several years of Solich regime) it was obvious as to why then as well.   Speed is the key and we were not recruiting it all over the field as we had been and the wins didn't come.

I don't think Callahan appreciated the need for the strength and conditioning program as he had the NFL mentality (he was used to having the best of the best of the best in men and in college at NU, you needed to turn the high school boys into the NFL caliber men).  He thought he could just recruit a team and put it on the field instead of build one and then manage a pipeline or factory if you will of future college to NFL level players.  He also didn't understand the 'heart' and effort and desire aspect of collegiate football.  He couldn't motivate a bunch of college 'kids' to become a team and devote their entire lives to being a championship team.  This is the most difficult thing about making Nebraska football great again.   In this one critical aspect, I believe Scott Frost understands exactly what is needed and WILL instill this, to the extent that young 'men' of this generation, are able to 'get it' and will make the effort.   You need to find those Nebraska farm boys who have the heart built in and will come ready to give their entire heart and souls to make the program special.  That 'want to' and inner desire is absolutely critical.   

Edited by 84HuskerLaw

6 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Yes, and I recall Boyd stated that as a team we have a ways to go to get to the level of athleticism, etc we need to be to win championships.  I understand the reason they don't release the individual and or team results to the public.  It reveals a great deal to our opponents about our team strengths and or weaknesses.   But, when the results were no longer released to the public (the last several years of Solich regime) it was obvious as to why then as well.   Speed is the key and we were not recruiting it all over the field as we had been and the wins didn't come.

I don't think Callahan appreciated the need for the strength and conditioning program as he had the NFL mentality (he was used to having the best of the best of the best in men and in college at NU, you needed to turn the high school boys into the NFL caliber men).  He thought he could just recruit a team and put it on the field instead of build one and then manage a pipeline or factory if you will of future college to NFL level players.  He also didn't understand the 'heart' and effort and desire aspect of collegiate football.  He couldn't motivate a bunch of college 'kids' to become a team and devote their entire lives to being a championship team.  This is the most difficult thing about making Nebraska football great again.   In this one critical aspect, I believe Scott Frost understands exactly what is needed and WILL instill this, to the extent that young 'men' of this generation, are able to 'get it' and will make the effort.   You need to find those Nebraska farm boys who have the heart built in and will come ready to give their entire heart and souls to make the program special.  That 'want to' and inner desire is absolutely critical.   

i agree, these results should not be made public.

26 minutes ago, Hunter94 said:

i agree, these results should not be made public.

How much could an opponent really gain form the results?  That's like saying a kid is  5* CB so other teams quit throwing in his direction.......I am sure that our opponents only need to look at film to see our short comings....The results were public in the glory days.

As @84HuskerLaw said, I am guessing it has been because of our less than stellar testing matrix, lack of devotion to a "testable" form that translates to production..... 

Here is an article posted today on the Journal about Duval.

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/football/husker-power-returns-epley-excited-for-protege-duval/article_49cf9c50-529f-5412-9fe4-38643d4fac39.amp.html

Edited by lo country

Here is an article on the bodies at all of the positions. https://hailvarsity.com/s/3058/what-does-the-huskers-scholarship-chart-look-like

We have plenty of linebackers and lineman, but we still need some OT depth.

QB room looks deep, but that may change. Vedral may add depth if he comes.

RB room is really deep, just need to get the most out of those players. Held should be thrilled with this room.

Need more depth at WR, which is what this staff is doing.

TE looks like we have plenty of depth, but need some guys to separate themselves from the pack.

D-line will be an emphasis in the coming years. 

We need two more corners because that position is really thin. 

Lots of depth in the safety room, need to coach it up now. 

• Plus1 2

3 hours ago, Hunter94 said:

why make any of your players stats available if you don't need to??  if it is to satisfy fans, we have missed the point completely.......the less said is the best said......

Maybe to use peer pressure to make them excel and put in work?  I'd hate to be a 300 lb lineman who is weaker than say a 190 lb receiver.....Or maybe a senior who is being out worked by a freshman....

A lot of the stuff is open source from the recruiting sites as it relates to lifts and sprint times.  Barkley has several videos with him squatting/pressing crazy amounts.  The RB from App St squats like 600 lbs and its known and hasn't helped DC's to stop him.

I agree, other than my own curiosity, and possibly make ones work effort or lack of known, if there are any pros or cons....

23 minutes ago, lo country said:

Maybe to use peer pressure to make them excel and put in work?  I'd hate to be a 300 lb lineman who is weaker than say a 190 lb receiver.....Or maybe a senior who is being out worked by a freshman....

A lot of the stuff is open source from the recruiting sites as it relates to lifts and sprint times.  Barkley has several videos with him squatting/pressing crazy amounts.  The RB from App St squats like 600 lbs and its known and hasn't helped DC's to stop him.

I agree, other than my own curiosity, and possibly make ones work effort or lack of known, if there are any pros or cons....

100% believe that team members know the test results. 

What does releasing them to the public do?  Presents another data point to hold against college players who aren't performing to our expectations?

27 minutes ago, whateveritis1224 said:

100% believe that team members know the test results. 

What does releasing them to the public do?  Presents another data point to hold against college players who aren't performing to our expectations?

We can agree to disagree......I see nothing wrong with it.  I think that I have complained plenty this season by watching the games without being privy to any particular players test results.  One can see that some perform admirably and others do not.   I do not need a data point to prove some of our guys, by scheme or their own inabilities have some issues......My reasoning to see them is I simply would like to see who does what.  Perhaps we could also close the spring game so that we can't see mistakes prior to the actual season?  Why be discouraged or encouraged by a scrimmage?

13 hours ago, Hunter94 said:

i think you open up pandora's box here.......do you play the fastest guy or the strongest guy?..............internally and the coaches should have this info and let them decide who plays and when and where.......no need to cut wood to build a bigger fire.

I think it will end up being the "smartest" guys.  If they're going fast, who can make the fewest mental errors during the fast pace of practice?