Great article on new S&C coach Duval

lo country

Good read about the relationship Duval has with Boyd Epley and the Husker program.  Didn't know Boyd recommended Duval 3 years ago when Riley hired Phillips.

(I originally posted in 2018 depth chart, but figured it was worth the read)

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/football/husker-power-returns-epley-excited-for-protege-duval/article_49cf9c50-529f-5412-9fe4-38643d4fac39.amp.html

• Plus1 3

Thanks for posting that.  I’m hopeful that he can get our guys in top condition.  

Good comments from Epley, though he did hint that he wasn’t totally on board with the last strength staff.  I get that the head coach hires his strength coach , but as AD of Strength Training, you’d think that Epley would have some say.  Future looks bright !

“Sometimes you have to go into a cave and then dig your way out” 

recent comment by a former Husker after he watched the team lift. Too many high fives, too much jubilation in his mind. The weight room is where you get BROKEN.

Broken to pieces and either rise up and get your ass back in there for the next rep, the next set, the next day or GTFO.

Turn off the AC, turn down the lights, blast some f’ing Metallica, rip your palms bloody, tear off your shirt, spit on the ground, bang the bars against the rack, and then look at who is left standing. Those men are who you trust when the s#!t is on the line. 

Ignite the fuse that is HUSKER POWER

• Plus1 5
31 minutes ago, I am I said:

recent comment by a former Husker after he watched the team lift. Too many high fives, too much jubilation in his mind. The weight room is where you get BROKEN.

Broken to pieces and either rise up and get your ass back in there for the next rep, the next set, the next day or GTFO.

Turn off the AC, turn down the lights, blast some f’ing Metallica, rip your palms bloody, tear off your shirt, spit on the ground, bang the bars against the rack, and then look at who is left standing. Those men are who you trust when the s#!t is on the line. 

tenor.gif

• Plus1 5

On 12/24/2017 at 0:01 PM, secretasianman said:

Thanks for posting that.  I’m hopeful that he can get our guys in top condition.  

Good comments from Epley, though he did hint that he wasn’t totally on board with the last strength staff.  I get that the head coach hires his strength coach , but as AD of Strength Training, you’d think that Epley would have some say.  Future looks bright !

The weird thing is that Epley still seemed on board with Phillipp and was one of the first guys to say that the team would need a lot of time to turn things around on the S&C front when Riley was hired.

On 12/25/2017 at 0:40 AM, I am I said:

Loved the enthusiasm in your post, got me all "juiced" up.  But I also wonder how many "Gym pet peeves" posts in the Other Stuff Forum you are the subject of......

:cheers

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The weird thing is that Epley still seemed on board with Phillipp and was one of the first guys to say that the team would need a lot of time to turn things around on the S&C front when Riley was hired.

Although I have no proof to back this up, I think Phillipp is getting far too much flak (from some corners of the fan base) for a problem he didn't have complete control over. There were rumors that some players were getting preferential treatment from coaches/coordinators in order to avoid workouts. It's also very possible the team suffered from an overall lack of a competitiveness.

I think one thing we can say with relative certainty is Nebraska had some culture issues under Riley.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Although I have no proof to back this up, I think Phillipp is getting far too much flak (from some corners of the fan base) for a problem he didn't have complete control over. There were rumors that some players were getting preferential treatment from coaches/coordinators in order to avoid workouts. It's also very possible the team suffered from an overall lack of a competitiveness.

I think one thing we can say with relative certainty is Nebraska had some culture issues under Riley.

I wouldn't be surprised if the coaching staff wasn't forcing the players to work as hard and build a competitive attitude.  I am sure Phillipp is very good at his job, but he might have felt he owed Riley for his big Nebraska job, so he wasn't going to rock the boat on the S&C issue.