Great article on new S&C coach Duval

lo country

7 hours ago, Enhance said:

Although I have no proof to back this up, I think Phillipp is getting far too much flak (from some corners of the fan base) for a problem he didn't have complete control over. There were rumors that some players were getting preferential treatment from coaches/coordinators in order to avoid workouts. It's also very possible the team suffered from an overall lack of a competitiveness.

I think one thing we can say with relative certainty is Nebraska had some culture issues under Riley.

I think there is truth to that.  Didn't Phillips come from USC?  I don't remember anyone saying the Trojans weren't strong enough to compete.  I dunno, it just seems like blaming the S&C coach is the low-hanging fruit when the team is playing poorly.  

• Plus1 2

5 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

I dunno, it just seems like blaming the S&C coach is the low-hanging fruit when the team is playing poorly.  

In my opinion, that's exactly what it is. A lot of factors weigh into how physical/strong a team looks on the field (buy-in, want-to, fundamentals, technique, strength) and, to some degree, overall culture.

I think it would be disingenuous for me to absolve S&C of any culpability simply because I wasn't in the weight room with them. But, I'm with you - blaming S&C can be low-hanging fruit.

22 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The weird thing is that Epley still seemed on board with Phillipp and was one of the first guys to say that the team would need a lot of time to turn things around on the S&C front when Riley was hired.

I'd say it seems more like a brotherhood among S&C coaches. Not going to really say, if a guy is not getting it right. jmo

GBR!!!

Philipp is a good S&C coach and i hate to see him leave. I was told he was possibly staying on in some capacity but it must not be happening.  

He worked for Ivan Lewis at USC and was also around Eric Klein while at SIU.  Both of those guys are considered some of the best in the buisness.  

Duval will bring the old school mentality of the 90's to the program and honestly, it is something we need.  I cant wait to see what he brings. 

31 minutes ago, huskered17 said:

I'd say it seems more like a brotherhood among S&C coaches. Not going to really say, if a guy is not getting it right. jmo

GBR!!!

Yeah, I agree...it is like when one head coach jocks up another head coach...even though the head coach he is jocking up is horrible.  They stick together.

I think S&C coaching is more about the attitude and accountability part...in the end a bench press rep at NU is the same as it is at every school.  

• Plus1 1

I stopped believing anything that epley said about 25 years ago.   There was a time when he was the best in the country but his ego and self promotion ended that.   

FTR, I think that Phillipe was probably every bit as good as Dobson was.  While our team wasn't as strong,  at least by the eye test, they were a better conditioned group than Dobson put out there.   It may have been from lacknof effort in the first half, but rarely did it look like our team was gassed in the 2nd.   

• Plus1 1

“The king of all exercises is the squat and Zach will have these guys squatting,” Gibbie Duval said. “You don’t get faster running on the field. You get faster in the weight room. The squat will be a kingpin in his exercise program, but also, prescribed loads and his ability to prescribe the perfect volume and intensity is how he gets guys not only big and fast, but strong. 

“He’s trained a guy like Khalil Mack, who is strong as they come, but he’s also trained Ahman Green and Adrian Killins Jr. He knows how to train for speed through Olympic application in the weight room and explosive training.”

• Plus1 2
9 hours ago, Mavric said:

If I recall correctly, Epley was fired by Solich after a rash of debilitating 'pubic' injuries presumably caused by a new and improved squat lifting system Epley installed on the team training program.   As our recruiting decline, Solich was want to blame the assistants and S&C and etc for a lack of excellence.   There were some mysterious pubic injuries which had theretofore been hardly ever heard and it was suspicious certainly.   Squats done improperly or excessively like any other fitness training or exercise can do more harm than good.   There are right ways and wrong ways to do almost everything.  You can overwork, tear muscles, strain joints, etc.   Weight lifting done wrong can DECREASE speed and agility.  Done right, it can be very beneficial in almost any athletic endeavor.   Let's hope we are doing things right and the players will make the 110% effort it takes to become better football players.   We need dramatic upgrades across the entire team in every area (schemes, player skills, agility and speed. power and strength, etc.).   Nobody can seriously claim that NU football was overpowering in the past decade or more.   It would have been false to say the Huskers were physically superior or intimidating to even a majority of our opponents.   I believe I just read an article or news bit saying our offensive line, on average, was one of the smallest (weight wise anyway) in the country amongst the top 100 programs.   That is just NOT Husker Power!  

1 hour ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

If I recall correctly, Epley was fired by Solich after a rash of debilitating 'pubic' injuries presumably caused by a new and improved squat lifting system Epley installed on the team training program.   As our recruiting decline, Solich was want to blame the assistants and S&C and etc for a lack of excellence.   There were some mysterious pubic injuries which had theretofore been hardly ever heard and it was suspicious certainly.   Squats done improperly or excessively like any other fitness training or exercise can do more harm than good.   There are right ways and wrong ways to do almost everything.  You can overwork, tear muscles, strain joints, etc.   Weight lifting done wrong can DECREASE speed and agility.  Done right, it can be very beneficial in almost any athletic endeavor.   Let's hope we are doing things right and the players will make the 110% effort it takes to become better football players.   We need dramatic upgrades across the entire team in every area (schemes, player skills, agility and speed. power and strength, etc.).   Nobody can seriously claim that NU football was overpowering in the past decade or more.   It would have been false to say the Huskers were physically superior or intimidating to even a majority of our opponents.   I believe I just read an article or news bit saying our offensive line, on average, was one of the smallest (weight wise anyway) in the country amongst the top 100 programs.   That is just NOT Husker Power!  

I remember the article was out the past week or so.  We were in the bottom 5th of OL weight.  Pretty sad IMHO.  It was a trend that continued the past few years.  I'm assuming a lack of effort/accountability in the weight room?  

Here is a telling quote:

From the point of Nebraska’s first national championship in 1970 to its most recent in 1997, Nebraska’s dominant offensive line was known as the Pipeline.

Although they may not have been as big as today’s college football offensive linemen, the Huskers’ still produced 25 All-Americans from that unit.

From 1998 to the present, they’ve had just three.

Rest of article here.......

https://hailvarsity.com/s/3069/nebraskas-shrinking-offensive-line

6 minutes ago, Saunders said:

Looking back, I honestly have a hard time buying any of the S&C talk coming out during the last 3 years, even from Boyd. I think he was being a company man, and buying time, because that's what Eichorst told him to do.

I think Boyd was definitely toeing the company line, as a favor for Eichorst.  It was a win-win situation for Boyd and Eichorst.  Eichorst and Riley were given credit for bringing Boyd back to NU.  Boyd got a nice paycheck in his later years, and he made sure to make comments about how poor the S&C status of the team was, in an attempt to give Eichorst and Riley more years at Nebraska.  Thankfully Green and Bounds figured out that Eichorst was a complete weasel and poor leader, and fired him in a timely manner.

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I think Boyd was definitely toeing the company line, as a favor for Eichorst.  It was a win-win situation for Boyd and Eichorst.  Eichorst and Riley were given credit for bringing Boyd back to NU.  Boyd got a nice paycheck in his later years, and he made sure to make comments about how poor the S&C status of the team was, in an attempt to give Eichorst and Riley more years at Nebraska.  Thankfully Green and Bounds figured out that Eichorst was a complete weasel and poor leader, and fired him in a timely manner.

Yep!

I would do the same as Boyd did, most of us would.  

Boyd was relieved of his duties because he was spending all of his time trying to sell his "transformer" machine which he patented.   He paid no attention to the damage that his lack of oversight in yhr weight room was doing to players and was just trying to make his million.     Never before and never since has there been so many pubic injuries.   

• Plus1 1
  • 10 months later...

Players do a testosterone and systole check before every lifting session.  They take a saliva sample before and after the lifting session to check testosterone levels.  Then workouts are tailored to what each player's body responds to best.

Also, sounds like Duval was one one of the biggest - if not THE biggest - one pushing for Dave Ellis to return to Nebraska.  They apparently really like working together.

• Fire 1