Jump to content
Mavric

DE Casey Rogers [Nebraska- Signed LOI]

HuskerBoard Predictor  

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

17 hours ago, Warrior10 said:

I don't disagree, but we as fans think every kid we sign is good. 

 

I'm not really saying much other than this was an odd recruitment and I'm trusting the staff here. 

Out of curiosity I went back and looked at Sedrick King's thread, as he was the last late DE offer/commit I could remember that is still actually on the team and playing (or getting playing time I should say). Doesn't mean, anything just interesting/funny.

 

Sedrick King:

"Wow. Love how quick he is off the line of scrimmage

 

Could be a good pick up. Give him a RS year hopefully and see what happens.

 

Damn, what a great pickup out of nowhere. Like this kids film.

 

He gets off of blocks very well for his size....Pretty good in the run game as well...

 

I bet this guy contributes big time in a few years. Another player ignored even though he shows some great speed and agility.

 

It will take a while to get some weight packed onto him, but he looks pretty good. Plays fast and with a high motor.


Agreed. Might have a chip on his shoulder. Plays aggressive and physical. That read on the screen in his highlight tape was nice. I like this one.

 

Sweet. This guy is good -- very good."

 

I don't think anyone would describe him the same now. It doesn't mean anything, just an example of us as fans thinking every recruit we sign is underrated/sleeper, etc. But we have no reason to doubt Dawson, Chin and SF. So until we do, party on!

Edited by Warrior10
  • Plus1 2

Share this post


Link to post

6 minutes ago, Warrior10 said:

Out of curiosity I went back and looked at Sedrick King's thread, as he was the last late DE offer/commit I could remember that is still actually on the team and playing (or getting playing time I should say). Doesn't mean, anything just interesting/funny.

 

Sedrick King:

"Wow. Love how quick he is off the line of scrimmage

 

Could be a good pick up. Give him a RS year hopefully and see what happens.

 

Damn, what a great pickup out of nowhere. Like this kids film.

 

He gets off of blocks very well for his size....Pretty good in the run game as well...

 

I bet this guy contributes big time in a few years. Another player ignored even though he shows some great speed and agility.

 

It will take a while to get some weight packed onto him, but he looks pretty good. Plays fast and with a high motor.


Agreed. Might have a chip on his shoulder. Plays aggressive and physical. That read on the screen in his highlight tape was nice. I like this one.

 

Sweet. This guy is good -- very good."

 

I don't think anyone would describe him the same now. It doesn't mean anything, just an example of us as fans thinking every recruit we sign is underrated/sleeper, etc. But we have no reason to doubt Dawson, Chin and SF. So until we do, party on!

I think a stable coaching situation would help his development.  Pretty sure he has had 3 different DC’s and probably 2 different position coaches?  Could be wrong on those numbers.

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, Football Guy Bob said:

I think a stable coaching situation would help his development.  Pretty sure he has had 3 different DC’s and probably 2 different position coaches?  Could be wrong on those numbers.

It sure could. Also think we need to temper expectations occasionally with some prospects, no matter their ranking. This thought isn't even based around Rogers necessarily, just my opinion on the recruiting narrative in general. 

 

Btw I'm not saying anyone is wrong in their assessments, it's their opinion. I've been wrong plenty in the past, that's for sure. 

Edited by Warrior10

Share this post


Link to post
38 minutes ago, Warrior10 said:

It doesn't mean anything, just an example of us as fans thinking every recruit we sign is underrated/sleeper, etc.

 

tenor.gif?itemid=9789067

 

 

Edited by Red Five

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Football Guy Bob said:

I think a stable coaching situation would help his development.  Pretty sure he has had 3 different DC’s and probably 2 different position coaches?  Could be wrong on those numbers.

Add to that our last 2 coaching staffs seemed to have a history of players not really developing under their watch. There is a reason we went 4-8, bad coaching- bad culture and bad player development. 

  • Plus1 2

Share this post


Link to post

I'm always of the opinion of players like this that I have to just trust the coaching staff because the player isn't highly rated (not always correct) and he doesn't have a list of offers from other top programs. (not always a perfect indication).  But, when you put both together, I have to just say...."Glad to have you, hope the coaching staff sees something special".

  • Plus1 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm always of the opinion of players like this that I have to just trust the coaching staff because the player isn't highly rated (not always correct) and he doesn't have a list of offers from other top programs. (not always a perfect indication).  But, when you put both together, I have to just say...."Glad to have you, hope the coaching staff sees something special".

Well said. 

Share this post


Link to post

Fair posts all around. I like the Cal, Pitt, and Vandy offers. I think Rogers is properly rated, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. He needs to put on a lot of weight to play in a 3-4, but he has the length to really be disruptive and I trust that the coaches believe he has the frame to put on the weight. If he was 20lbs heavier, he’d probably be a 4-star and more ready to contribute right away. That’s not to say that he won’t be ready after a good RS year.

Share this post


Link to post

He is a year older than a normal Freshman since he went to a prep school for a year, correct?  With that being true, he might be someone that can contribute on special teams right away and avoid a RS year.

 

I believe that Syracuse is a darn good lacrosse program, so getting a scholly to a school like that is a big deal.  Hopefully the athleticism that he shows on the lacrosse field can translate to the football field like it did for us with JD.

Share this post


Link to post

Ppl need to recognize that we are a development program. 

 

Always have been, barring massive demographic change, always will be.

 

this kid has a very solid skill set and needs coaching. So do plenty other kids in this class.

 

His odd recruitment should come as no surprise, a lot of kids in those little states fly under radar. Especially if they don't play the camp game. Not sure how much of that he did but his lack of offers makes me assume no.

 

It's a solid get. Especially when we remember this is a transition year and we are trying to get as many guys that meet our new standard and are still yet available. Most of the elite prospects are off board so people need to be temper those expectations a bit.

 

Edited by husker98
  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post

Kind of changing my tune a bit here.  He has to be pretty athletic for his size.  You don't play all those sports without being up there.

 

Will be interesting to see what he does.

  • Plus1 2

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.










×
×
  • Create New...