Troy Walters: ‘No Block, No Rock’

Mavric

5 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I agree that it starts by winning the division, but it doesn’t start by copying Wisconsin. Wisconsin does some good things, but they aren’t that special. 

IMO, copying Wisky means a defined culture.  Development of players, a system that works with what talent you have on hand.  Technique and fundamentally sound in all 3 phases of the game.....Not a bad blue print....

Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

I agree that it starts by winning the division, but it doesn’t start by copying Wisconsin. Wisconsin does some good things, but they aren’t that special. 

Kind of special, maybe?  I think they lose credibility with people because they’re not flashy, just sound.   I would trade our last 10 years for theirs.  And for about 2 1/2 quarters of this year’s game, I thought we were going to win. There was one point early in the 3rd I thought we might blow in wide open. But then they just pounded the rock. I think one possession lasted like 7 or 8 minutes. How frustrating was that? To know what was coming and not be able to do anything about it. I want to be frustrating. 

And look at their recruiting classes. A fair portion of their base recruiting is the Great Lakes area. It’s like they shun what they should do for what they need to do.

5 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

We should copy whatever Wiscy is doing. Start by winning the division 

No, we do not need to copy anyone. Frosts offense is designed to put stress on the defense and catch them off guard. It uses big play ability and deep ball passing to keep the defense guessing. He runs the ball a lot, but nothing like Wisconsin. I would rather have take it to the house with tempo and score then slowly pound the rock. 

I would also rather be able to blow teams out and run an exciting offense. Wisconsin does their thing well, but the offense they run has a ceiling of points that they can score against top 50 teams. Although today they are doing well with extended time against Miami today.

Frost will build his culture where we will outwork Wisconsin and build continued success just like they do.

• Plus1 4
1 minute ago, lo country said:

IMO, copying Wisky means a defined culture.  Development of players, a system that works with what talent you have on hand.  Technique and fundamentally sound in all 3 phases of the game.....Not a bad blue print....

Nothing wrong with being technically and fundamentally sound. Wisky looks like they have a good coach in Chryst, who is bringing in better skill players (especially at WR), so they will definitely be formidable. It will be interesting to see if their offense evolves into being more open.  

Just now, HuskermanMike said:

No, we do not need to copy anyone. Frosts offense is designed to put stress on the defense and catch them off guard. It uses big play ability and deep ball passing to keep the defense guessing. He runs the ball a lot, but nothing like Wisconsin. I would rather have take it to the house with tempo and score then slowly pound the rock. 

I would also rather be able to blow teams out and run an exciting offense. Wisconsin does their thing well, but the offense they run has a ceiling of points that they can score against top 50 teams. Although today they are doing well with extended time against Miami today.

Frost will build his culture where we will outwork Wisconsin and build continued success just like they do.

I disagree. Sound, not flashy football. I like it.  I’m not saying it needs to end with copying someone else’s identity, but we have to start somewhere.

and have you been to Madison? It’s like our northern twin. It’s kind of uncanny

7 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

And I don’t care if we blow people out. I am not picky and will never complain about a win again. 

We know you like a certain style, but unfortunately, that style is not something Nebraska will run. We are running a fast-paced up-tempo offense that keeps the safeties guessing all game and comes at you fast. Scott will stick to his style of offense and it will work in the big ten West. No reason corners from the likes of Iowa, Minnesota, Ilinois, Purdue, NW should lock down the receivers we have at Nebraska. Wisconsin might be able to contain it but not completely shut it down.

I will agree with you on a win is a win. In the first few seasons, let's start with wins rather than margin of victory. But I would rather do it with an offense Frost is comfortable with, which is fast paced and keep you guessing.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Frott Scost said:

Of course you are because youre not a Nebraska fan unless you think a hire will fail before the first game he coaches in. 

Its based on how I have seen his defense perform and some of the names that were available. Thanks for being a dick though. 

30 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

I have questions too and this is where lack of experience in the B1G might hurt early. Hope I’m wrong

They're going to have growing pains for sure, but there are some pretty smart fellas leading the team, and they'll get it in time.  It's the ultimate OJT.  As long as they get back to fundamentals, the rest will work itself out.  (IMHO)