Accepting apologies from people who said UCF doesn't deserve to be in the playoff

ATS Knight

I would have MUCH less problem with two teams from the same conference in the playoffs if....say....two teams go into the CCG with one loss or less and they play the CCG to an extremely competitive close game at the end to where it's clear the game really could have gone either way.

That is a huge difference between letting in a third place team that didn't even play in the CCG......just because you think they are good.

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

Yes, but, let's be clear about those other leagues.  Let's take MLB.  To be a wild card, there still is a clear cut way that is determined.  It is determined on the field of play and in no way is the third best team in a division all of a sudden put into the playoffs just because some random group of people in a conference room thinks they deserve it.

Agreed, but I think that's inherently a problem in college sports, no? The system is not as cut and dry (comparably speaking) as the ones in professional sports. There's more systemic parity.

23 hours ago, Enhance said:

The question everybody should ask themselves is if they believe the two best teams in the country are playing for a championship.

My answer is yes.

I think we already saw it 

Oklahoma\ Georgia 

They looked pretty good to me.

As for UCF.....drop them into any P5 conference/division and honestly ask yourself, Would they still be undefeated? I’m sorry, I just can’t be convinced that they would have. And unfortunately we won’t know for a very long time if they could because they won’t be joining a P5 conference anytime soon. They may deserve it as a football team but financially it ain’t gonna happen. When your TV share is split with 3 NFL teams and 3 other P5 schools, you can yell and scream “great fan base” all you want but nobody is ponying up 30 mill in TV contracts for UCF football. Danny White is good but he can’t spike the koolaid that much.  Also as others have said you have to prove your worth consistently for long periods of time.

Worth being traveling as a fan base with the team for bowls etc. Not the 4 hour drive up the road to Atlanta but travel to Pasadena and Phoenix. Or take over Notre Dame stadium! Teams get selected for what they bring. Sorry to say but The Bama community was worth a ton more $$ in the playoff than UCF. You have to build up steam. Welcome to 2018.  Football wise UCF is a top program right now. Financially UCF is small potatoes. Billion dollar industry...what can you bring?  It’s sad but losing Frost will hurt a lot more than just coaching. He helped sell the program to the network buyers. Heupal........kinda blah but hope he works out for ya. He’s in a tough spot

6 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Agreed, but I think that's inherently a problem in college sports, no? The system is not as cut and dry (comparably speaking) as the ones in professional sports. There's more systemic parity.

Sure.....But, the way it's being done puts way more ridiculous obscurity into the system that just doesn't need to be there.

Hey, that's why they play the games.

I don't think anyone was wrong to wonder how UCF would hang with a Top 10 Power 5 team. An elite defense can bring you down to Earth pretty quick. The Vegas point spread wasn't disrespectful, it was oddsmakers doing their job. 

But UCF played four strong and non-flukey quarters against Auburn, a team that had just beaten Alabama and Georgia. They had an undefeated season and will be ranked in the 2017 Top 5 forever. They earned it. Frost and UCF are the feelgood story of college football. Georgia and Alabama....not so much.

Who knows what would have happened, but if UCF had leapfrogged Alabama, Wisconsin, and Ohio State for the final playoff spot, they may well have lost to a more motivated team in a higher stakes game, and it wouldn't have felt nearly as good as it does right now. 

Here is a big issue I have with including two teams from one conference and none from another (especially another power 5 conference).  We are down now to only playing 3 non-con games each year.  Of those, maybe....we might play one other power 5 team.  There is no way to clearly tell what conference is toughest with that small of a sample size.

So....we go all season with "experts" trying to tell us what conference is the strongest.  This many times gets so blown out of proportion that it's not a valid indication of anything.

So....then, we get to the playoffs.  One conference has been blown up to be the most amazing conference in the world based on.....really....nothing valid.

What proof is there that the SEC is tougher than the Big 10?  At best, you can only point to maybe a couple games early in the year to try to prove your point.  

It's a pathetic system.  We got to 4 teams in the playoffs because of the last time the committee deemed Alabama to be God's gift to college football on a farce of a decision.  Now...maybe we will get to 8 teams because of the same crap.

If my counting is correct, the Big 10 only played 12 games in non-con against other power 5 teams.  The SEC only played 8.  Most of those were against the bottom of the power 5 conferences.

There is no way in hell this shows us what conference is toughest to then determine that a loss to Iowa is so much worse than a loss to Auburn that you leave OSU out and put Alabama in.

Just do it like all the other divisions and drop some of the regular season games and have a full playoff. The regular season will still matter with the expanded playoffs. At least it does for the other 3 divisions so I don't know why it wouldn't for the FBS. No one cares about the dumb bowl games. 

2 hours ago, jaws said:

Just do it like all the other divisions and drop some of the regular season games and have a full playoff. The regular season will still matter with the expanded playoffs. At least it does for the other 3 divisions so I don't know why it wouldn't for the FBS. No one cares about the dumb bowl games. 

Exactly. Simply no reason not to expand the playoff to 12-24 teams. The sanctity of the premier bowl games has already been lowered to being part of a playoff, and no one cares about the rest (though some could be kept and become an NIT of sorts).

Just use two CFP committee meetings instead of one.  I don't like fixed playoff.

1. Meeting one:  CFP after regular schedule was finished ..... select major bowl teams. 
  2. Meeting two: CFP just after bowls ..... decided to choose national championship game foes.  Like UCF vs Alabama instead of UGA.

Flexible, not fixed.

Or back to BCS ......

Maybe it's been brought up already but moving it to 6-8 teams would mean a 3rd game for a fan base to travel to.

There also isn't really the option of playing it at a team's home field. What if Minnesota is in it? January in Minnesota? :o

I guess what they could do instead is choose the big name bowl and/or dome closest to the highest seeded team's location. So if it was Nebraska, we'd play our game in Kansas City. If it was a California school, the Rose Bowl.

Edited by Moiraine