Accepting apologies from people who said UCF doesn't deserve to be in the playoff

ATS Knight

1 minute ago, Moiraine said:

Maybe it's been brought up already but moving it to 6-8 teams would mean a 3rd game for a fan base to travel to.

There also isn't really the option of playing it at a team's home field. What if Minnesota is in it? January in Minnesota? :o

I guess what they could do instead is choose the big name bowl and/or dome closest to the highest seeded team's location. So if it was Nebraska, we'd play our game in Kansas City. If it was a California school, the Rose Bowl.

I don't see a problem with having the higher seed host the quarterfinals.  If they earn it, they get to host.  If it's in Minnesota in the middle of December, bundle up.

• Plus1 3

9 hours ago, Mavric said:

I don't see a problem with having the higher seed host the quarterfinals.  If they earn it, they get to host.  If it's in Minnesota in the middle of December, bundle up.

Agreed - it does suck, but, it's exactly what NFL teams have to contend with when Green Bay and New England host playoff games.

It's high time schools from the south were potentially forced out of their bubble to play in the north. Adverse weather has always been a part of football. The B1G, much of the Big 12 and ACC have to deal with colder elements all season long.

• Plus1 3

I don't think I ever felt that UCF shouldn't get in, I just knew the system is rigged against them.  It is hard for them to get anyone legitimate to play them.  Hell, the SEC as a whole doesn't play many non-cons that are too tough.  Didn't the Big 12 reject UCF too?  

Time to just go Power 5 national championship and little 5 national championship.  No way a little 5 would ever get into a 4 team play off.  This year not sure they would have let UCF into a 8 team on either.  Would have had 3 SEC teams and 4 other conference champions and probably Wisky.  System is rigged against them.

Just like all the other divisions, the top seed gets a home playoff game. This would be the week after the conference championship games. This isn't as hard as everyone is making this out to be.

11 regular season games + Conference Championship Game (since we have to have such large conferences) + 8 Team Playoff

Max of 15 games and most of the games can be completed before the end for the first semester. 

Share the playoff revenue between all schools because of the loss of a regular season game. Having one fewer regular season game makes the games more important with the expanded playoffs. 

Then watch Saban cry about the quick turnaround. It makes you wonder how all these other schools can play football under such harsh conditions without private jets and millions of dollars in support staff. 

• Plus1 4
5 minutes ago, jaws said:

Just like all the other divisions, the top seed gets a home playoff game. This would be the week after the conference championship games. This isn't as hard as everyone is making this out to be.

11 regular season games + Conference Championship Game (since we have to have such large conferences) + 8 Team Playoff

Max of 15 games and most of the games can be completed before the end for the first semester. 

Share the playoff revenue between all schools because of the loss of a regular season game. Having one fewer regular season game makes the games more important with the expanded playoffs. 

Then watch Saban cry about the quick turnaround. It makes you wonder how all these other schools can play football under such harsh conditions without private jets and millions of dollars in support staff. 

That's pretty much what I've always said.  conference championship games are basically the first round of the playoff.  8 team play off including winners of Power 5 CCG and 3 wild cards including teams like UCF this year.  The first round of playoffs are before Christmas with higher seed getting home field advantage, second round on New Years and the championship a week later.

It's really not a difficult concept.

• Plus1 2

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

That's pretty much what I've always said.  conference championship games are basically the first round of the playoff.  8 team play off including winners of Power 5 CCG and 3 wild cards including teams like UCF this year.  The first round of playoffs are before Christmas with higher seed getting home field advantage, second round on New Years and the championship a week later.

It's really not a difficult concept.

We basically solved the CFP in less than one page of the message board.  The reason it isn't implemented is that it would require  the media (also the NCAA and committee members, etc.) to give up control, and control = power for them. 

I do think we are getting closer (building fan support) for an 8 team playoff, but my worry would be that if it was expanded to 8 teams we could still possibly be picking by committee.  I think that would be the media's next move to attempt to maintain their position.  Then I feel like the Power 5 would each get one team a year...and the SEC would get 2-3, with a possible at large pick.  The conference champions getting playoff bids are key for me, or else the system only gets slightly better. 

Also, I love the idea of home field advantage as previous posters have suggested.

2 minutes ago, JKinney said:

We basically solved the CFP in less than one page of the message board.  The reason it isn't implemented is that it would require  the media (also the NCAA and committee members, etc.) to give up control, and control = power for them. 

I do think we are getting closer (building fan support) for an 8 team playoff, but my worry would be that if it was expanded to 8 teams we could still possibly be picking by committee.  I think that would be the media's next move to attempt to maintain their position.  Then I feel like the Power 5 would each get one team a year...and the SEC would get 2-3, with a possible at large pick.  The conference champions getting playoff bids are key for me, or else the system only gets slightly better. 

Also, I love the idea of home field advantage as previous posters have suggested.

I'm interested in knowing what "power" you think the media has now.  Right now, the 4 team playoff is decided by random people the NCAA put together that don't have ties to the media.  Heck, the AP poll isn't even used anymore.

I don't think moving to what I suggested changes the media's power or place in the world of college football.

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

I'm interested in knowing what "power" you think the media has now.  Right now, the 4 team playoff is decided by random people the NCAA put together that don't have ties to the media.  Heck, the AP poll isn't even used anymore.

I don't think moving to what I suggested changes the media's power or place in the world of college football.

*Tin Foil Hat On*

I think the media ( via the Overton Window) absolutely sets the narrative on college football, especially ESPN.  They are largely responsible for terms like "SEC" speed, an eye test to know who is the "best team", the X conference is the best conference, this year the bowl record of conference X matters, next year it doesn't.  By controlling the Overton window, they are able to control the realm of public opinion, including those members of the playoff selection committee.  I think it would be ridiculous to say ESPN is pulling the strings to select the playoff committee voters, or telling them how to vote.  But I think it would also be ridiculous to say that ESPN hasn't created the narrative (I would call it pure propaganda) that fosters opinions like this (from committee person Kirby Hocutt)  original link is in Ladyhawke's post in Nebraska and UCF Knights thread:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21942367/college-football-playoff-executive-director-bill-hancock-stands-committee-decision-rank-ucf-no-12

If you want evidence that ESPN is biased that probably belongs in another thread....but it can surely be provided, a sample is below:

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/news/story?id=3553033

*Tin Foil Hat Off*

I would say the media has a vested interest (see link above) in promoting certain teams/narratives/conferences, and it does it's best to promote these and change the Overton window of what most fans (and the committee) sees as acceptable.

I hope that helps explain.  I completely respect your opinion if you disagree.

There are only 10 FBS conferences. Make ND join a conference and take the Power 5 conference champions as an automatic bid into playoffs. The Group of 5 get one guaranteed sport at the table no matter what. Then you have two at large teams.

2017 Playoff

Clemson - ACC

Ohio State - Big 10

UCF - Group of 5

Oklahoma - Big 12

USC - Pac 12

Georgia - SEC

Alabama - At large (#4 in CFB rankings)

Wisconsin - At large (#6 in CFB rankings)

2016 Playoff (3 Big 10 teams again...LOL)

Alabama - SEC

Clemson - ACC

Penn State - Big 10

Oklahoma - Big 12

Washington - Pac 12 (#4 seed which everyone forgets is the team that got in over Penn State. If the Big 10 was the SEC, it would have had 2 teams in the 4 team playoff)

Western Michigan - Group of 5

Ohio State - At large (#3 in CFB rankings)

Michigan - At large (#6 in CFB rankings)

2015 Playoff (3 Big 10 teams)

Clemson - Acc

Alabama - SEC

Michigan State - Big 10

Oklahoma - Big 12

Stanford - Pac 12

Houston - Group of 5

Iowa - At large (#5 in CFB rankings)

Ohio State - At Large (#7 in CFB rankings - Only loss was on a last second FG to the #3 team and somehow they were ranked #7? Who did Alabama pay this year?)

I can see why some conferences wouldn't want the playoffs expanded :)

Edited by jaws
  • Plus1 3
5 hours ago, jaws said:

There are only 10 FBS conferences. Make ND join a conference and take the Power 5 conference champions as an automatic bid into playoffs. The Group of 5 get one guaranteed sport at the table no matter what. Then you have two at large teams.

I agree, this is exactly what I've proposed before. Except that Notre Dame and any other independents don't even have to join a conference - they can get one of the two at-large bids.

On 1/2/2018 at 10:59 AM, Redux said:

Ohio State should have been in, and in hindsight, UCF should have been too.

Alabama should not be in it, and the will again probably win it because they are Alabama.

Playoffs have 6 teams in them, ready go:

Edited by ScottyIce
2 minutes ago, ScottyIce said:

Playoffs have 6 teams in them, ready go:

With hindsight I’m going:

1 Georgia

4 Clemson

5 USC

3 Ohio State

6 UCF

2 Oklahoma

Conference champs and then a wild card. Can be anyone from any conference, likelihood of a G5 going is high if there is a legitimate one, which UCF was.

Edited by ScottyIce