Nick Gates

Red Five

Just now, Cdog923 said:

Oh, don't worry; I'm done with you, friendo. Trolling can be fun, but at least try to base yours in some version of reality in the future. 

And, to the point: I've stated multiple times that Gates needs to fix his (noted by multiple experts) lack of work ethic to have a successful future in the NFL.  

Yeah, I'm in the same boat as @Cdog923. I rather take advice from multiple experts over somebody who thinks that they might know what a good offensive line prospect might look like.

• Plus1 2

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 5:02 PM, Sparker said:

I never said you were technically incorrect, I said it was a dumb argument. If he doesn't perform SIGNIFICANTLY better in the NFL than he did in '17 he basically just quit football. He is going to have to work out if he wants to perform better.

If you can't see that, you're wasting all of our time commenting here, but we already knew that.

huh how was it dumb?

11 hours ago, BlitzFirst said:

Someone said he had poor footwork and I countered with that he was All conference selection his first 2 years.  You don't get there having poor footwork.

I also stated he was injured for the last 4 games of the year this past year and did very poorly in those games.  I'll let you go through the thread to find those who posted it.

He was third team and honorable mention last year and he was not all conference in 2015.  All-freshman team is not the same thing.  Not sure that exempts him from having bad footwork last year.  Regardless, its a difference of opinion, not "making stuff up".

• Plus1 2

2 hours ago, marko polo said:

huh how was it dumb?

Really?

He probably sees how much effort he'll be required to give and wants no part of it.

The NFL will not be easier than NU under Frost, certainly not if a player wants a long career, and Gates isn't going there to escape workouts. 

42 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

Agree to disagree on semantics. 

That’s not semantics. All-freshman isn’t all-conference. Third team all-conference is a long way from first-team all-conference. And it’s kind of weird to assume that since he was arguably one of the fifteen best linemen in the Big Ten one year, he’s destined to be a great pro player. Our offensive line has sucked since around 1999. No doubt coaching and scheme are big problems. But the fact our linemen look like they should be lining up for an all-you-can-eat waffle festival at Golden Corral rather than to play big time football doesn’t help. And that’s not on the coaches...that’s simple laziness. I’m pretty sure they cover where the weight room is during orientation. 

TBOY.jpg

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, BlitzFirst said:

Being a Freshman all conference is RARE...because not a lot of Freshman start or get playing time.  I'd say being a selection for All Big Ten Freshman is a HUGE honor.

This is basically saying if you're a freshman who plays you get on the All Freshman team by default.

21 hours ago, BlitzFirst said:

From the article:

Not sure how what I said was wrong?  3rd team all conference and all conference as a freshman is being an all conference selection in his first 2 years.

erm he was a sophomore in 2016. so he wasn't all conference anything his freshman year. and given the smaller pool of players available to be on the big ten all freshman team, it isnt as big a deal as we think. still a great honor for the players chosen though.

12 hours ago, BlitzFirst said:

Oh you guys and your silliness.  All Big Ten teams are all big ten teams.  Being on the All Big Ten Freshman team is a big deal for freshmen and being selected for ANY all Big Ten Team is a pretty nice honor.  

I'm not making this stuff up...it's in print. 

If you guys want to argue that him getting selected into 2 All Big Ten Teams (All B1G Freshman, and 3rd team All Big Ten) isn't the same just because it's a freshman All B1G Team...I'm afraid it's just semantics.  You're trying to say the Freshman team isn't an All Big Ten team and I'm saying it's in print and that it is.  Being a Freshman all conference is RARE...because not a lot of Freshman start or get playing time.  I'd say being a selection for All Big Ten Freshman is a HUGE honor.

As I stated, we can agree to disagree.  This is the last I will comment on this individual subject in this topic.

alright

On 1/4/2018 at 1:29 PM, BlitzFirst said:

Tell you what...let's both go watch a squash match and give commentary afterwards.  We'll attend with someone who coaches squash for a living.

Which one of us 3 will probably have better insight as to whether or not a squash player is good or not?

I'm not saying everyone has to coach...I am saying coaches know better than board posters.  I'm also saying board posters are more often wrong than right when it comes to this topic due to most of us having an untrained eye.

...my “untrained eye” saw every single starter get pancaked multiple plays, multiple games..and my untrained eye sees fat hanging over pants..no thighs or glutes..thus, while knowing the snap count, get hit by opposing D line instead of initiating contact..

• Plus1 1
  • Mavric changed the title to Nick Gates