Stanley Morgan Jr. Staying for Senior Season

18 minutes ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

giphy.gif

Time for us to finally get over that 1k receiving yard season hump.  Maybe even with more than one wr :koolaid2:

Serious question.  Why in the world is a 1000 yard receiver so important to some people?

Edited by KingBlank

3 hours ago, VectorVictor said:

IIRC, there are insurance policies that can be taken out for situations like this. Other NCAA football players that stayed have taken policies out like this in the past...though I do believe they are somewhat expensive. 

And no, the policy won't make up for a lost NFL contract. But it will allow the player to recoup *something* for trying to do the right thing, plus he'll have his degree to boot.

Yes, the most recent example that comes to mind is the Oregon CB that was a lock 1st rd pick until he shredded his knee.  Let me see if I can find it...

EDIT.  Found it.  Ifo Ekpre-Olomu.  Came back for his Sr year after being an AA his junior year.  Shredded his ACL in practice leading up to the Rose Bowl.  Linked his wiki as it also outlines his insurance payouts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ifo_Ekpre-Olomu

4 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

Not saying this is the case for Stan but i never get the "get your degree" angle. Can't you go pro and still finish up your degree in your off time? I mean money obviously wouldn't be the issue when you are making millions in the NFL. 

Yeah.. you're not allowed to talk to Stanley

2 hours ago, Keith.Wassung said:

Imagine this scenario, 

Your child is a junior at Stanford. Top of their class. One day Bill Gates walks into the class and extends his hand to your child and says 'I want you to come work for me. I will pay you 3 million a year with a guaranteed 4 year contract, but you would have to start in 30 days. 

Would ANYONE in the world advise them to stay in school and finish their degree?  (not a chance)

You attend college to improve your economic income producing potential (a couple of exceptions) 

The only decision that a college player with professional potential needs to make is whether staying would dramatically increase the income potential after that year. "

Plenty of time to attend school and get the degree later. 

This is exactly correct IMO. 

A college degree is a dime a dozen.  Most of them are fairly worthless (I have 2!).  If he needs another year to improve his positioning for an NFL contract, I completely agree with the decision to come back. 

If it's for the criminal justice degree, he is receiving bad advice, but I highly doubt that this would be the case despite what the press release may say.

Edited by 307husker

I don't want to derail the thread by going too far down this tangent, however, 70% of U.S. citizens don't have a college degree. They are not "a dime a dozen" and they still hold value to a lot of people. Statistically speaking, your average wages and quality of life are far better with a college degree in hand.

If that's what matters to SMJ then I applaud him. But, part of me also thinks his draft stock weighed into this decision.

• Plus1 2

Stanley has a speed and separation issue against elite corners. I am sure that was brought to his attention, and it probably put him in the 4th to 5th round projection. He has everything else but he needs to get faster. If he can improve his 40 and become half a step faster, it could be a difference in millions.  

12 minutes ago, Vince R. said:

Stanley has a speed and separation issue against elite corners. I am sure that was brought to his attention, and it probably put him in the 4th to 5th round projection. He has everything else but he needs to get faster. If he can improve his 40 and become half a step faster, it could be a difference in millions.  

The beauty of the spread is that a receiver doesn't have to possess elite level speed to get into space.  Morgan's biggest issue is holding on to the ball so if he can resolve that he could ring up some serious yards next year, even if they aren't YAC.  

• Plus1 1
Just now, Crazyhole said:

The beauty of the spread is that a receiver doesn't have to possess elite level speed to get into space.  Morgan's biggest issue is holding on to the ball so if he can resolve that he could ring up some serious yards next year, even if they aren't YAC.  

True and I agree. Still, the NFL wants him to be a 4.4 kind of guy.  I believe its been said on the radio that Stan will focus all off season on his speed.