Each Quarterback's Signature Win from Callahan to Riley

knapplc

4 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

The game that sticks in my mind for Taylor Martinez is @ Kansas State his freshman year. We were #7 in the nation and were coming off a lousy effort against SDSU. Many analysts had us losing to K St and Martinez burned Manhattan down. Wildcats were 4-0 at the time with a win over UCLA. It was a Thursday night game with a lot of anticipation and he exploded for 241 rushing yards and 4 TD, only 15 carries. He only threw the ball 7 times and we won 48-13. 

And that was Bill Snyder's birthday.  :lol:

• Plus1 2

For Joe Ganz, I am going to go with a 45-35 win over Kansas in 2008.  NU entered that game at 5-4 in Bo's first year, and just got shellacked at Oklahoma.  Ganz outdueled KU"s Todd Reesing by going 28 of 37 for 324 yards passing and 2 TD's.  It may not be remembered as a big game now, but this was a really big win in Bo's first year, as NU reeled off 4 straight wins to end the season 9-4.  I like this Ganz performance much better than the K-State game the year before in which Callahan decided to throw the ball nearly every down and rack up a bunch of stats in a meaningless game.

Here is the game recap from Huskermax.  https://www.huskermax.com/games/2008/kansas08.html

Edited by ColoradoHusk
  • Plus1 2

I thought Sam Keller's best game as a Husker was actually a loss against Texas in 2007, and his last game as a QB.  Keller was 23-35 for 298 yards and 2 TD's and had NU leading against heavily favored Texas.  Of course, Jamaal Charles broke loose in the 4th quarter and Keller broke his collarbone getting sacked, and his career was over.

• Plus1 3
22 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

The game that sticks in my mind for Taylor Martinez is @ Kansas State his freshman year. We were #7 in the nation and were coming off a lousy effort against SDSU. Many analysts had us losing to K St and Martinez burned Manhattan down. Wildcats were 4-0 at the time with a win over UCLA. It was a Thursday night game with a lot of anticipation and he exploded for 241 rushing yards and 4 TD, only 15 carries. He only threw the ball 7 times and we won 48-13. 

That was my first and only trip to manhattan for a game, and may be my favorite husker game that I've been to! Before the game I was sitting by some older gentlemen who remembered the days of KSU absolutely blowing and they were extremely polite, even told me "they didn't have the horses to compete with a team the likes of Nebraska" but once the game started there was an idiot in front of them who kept turning around towards me and yelling F*CK NEBRASKA AND F*CK YOU! Needless to say I kept my cool until almost half when we were up by 3 scores, and he turned around to yell at me for what seemed like the one thousandth time, and I so politely yelled back "SCOREBOARD A**HOLE!". The dbag then called the number you call when there is a problem in stands and I got ushered to the top of the stadium where I was told I didn't have to leave but I couldn't go back to my seat! 

Needless to say I now wouldn't piss on Manhattan if it was on fire!

For Zac Taylor, give me @Texas A&M in 2007.  He may have had bigger stats against CU or a win against a bigger name in Michigan.in 2006, but this win clinched Bill Callahan's only Big 12 North division title, and put NU in the Big 12 title game for the first time since 1999.  Taylor led a game-winning TD drive in the closing seconds, and hit Mo Purify on a great fade pass to win the game.

• Plus1 5
16 minutes ago, Husker from Kansas said:

That was my first and only trip to manhattan for a game, and may be my favorite husker game that I've been to! Before the game I was sitting by some older gentlemen who remembered the days of KSU absolutely blowing and they were extremely polite, even told me "they didn't have the horses to compete with a team the likes of Nebraska" but once the game started there was an idiot in front of them who kept turning around towards me and yelling F*CK NEBRASKA AND F*CK YOU! Needless to say I kept my cool until almost half when we were up by 3 scores, and he turned around to yell at me for what seemed like the one thousandth time, and I so politely yelled back "SCOREBOARD A**HOLE!". The dbag then called the number you call when there is a problem in stands and I got ushered to the top of the stadium where I was told I didn't have to leave but I couldn't go back to my seat! 

Needless to say I now wouldn't piss on Manhattan if it was on fire!

Every team has a few of those fans but other than Iowa and Colorado, kstate has the worst.  They never did learn how to win with grace. 

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, BIG ERN said:

Was at this game, and it was awesome.  That was T-Marts coming out party and got the Heisman hype train rolling which is hard to fathom looking back at how it eventually unfolded.

Edited by dspanther05
50 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

For Zac Taylor, give me @Texas A&M in 2007.  He may have had bigger stats against CU or a win against a bigger name in Michigan.in 2006, but this win clinched Bill Callahan's only Big 12 North division title, and put NU in the Big 12 title game for the first time since 1999.  Taylor led a game-winning TD drive in the closing seconds, and hit Mo Purify on a great fade pass to win the game.

Taylor look out!

Don't forget Ganz doesn't remember much of the Gator Bowl. He finished the game out with a concussion by his own admission. We know now it was probably a really dumb move, but it was gusty and tough at the time.

Edited by ZRod
1 hour ago, ZRod said:

Taylor look out!

Don't forget Ganz doesn't remember much of the Gator Bowl. He finished the game out with a concussion by his own admission. We know now it was probably a really dumb move, but it was gusty and tough at the time.

Wind speed for the Gator Bowl on 1/1/09 was between 9 & 15mph, with gusts over 30mph.  Good memory.

• Plus1 2