Frost O & D, Recruiting - Your Confidence Level Poll

Frost O & D - Your Confidence Level- Poll  

109 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Vote and comment on your current confidence in the Football program and specifically on recruiting, and what you believe will

be the style of play that we will see on offense and defense 

My take:  before the game and watch UCF give up big #s to USF and Memphis - I had my doubts about the D.  While I liked the idea of it being an 'attacking' 3-4 it was still a 3-4 and the MR version of 3-4 left a very bad taste in my mouth. Then you add up those USF and Memphis scores and bit of trembling came to my knees.  However the bowl game turned me around and here is why.  Auburn plays more like Big 10 teams.  Methodical on offense.  UCF was in a Big 10 type game wt Auburn.  This actually played in the D's hands.  It gives the D time to rest while the O is on the field.  The D wasn't spread out like they have to be against USF and Memphis.  The AAC is known to be a high scoring conference and that isn't saying there is no good D. It means that fast scoring games like the AAC has places the D on the field more often.  UCF showed that it could play a slower tempo game and still score (had missed opportunities in the 1st half) and this allowed their D time to make adjustments.

Offensively, I saw that Frost's O isn't just  a wild shoot out.  They create mismatches and when the QB wasn't hitting his targets in the 1st half, the play calling allowed him to make up the difference with his running.  They were able to play a slower game and still came up on top against a very good Auburn team. 

I came away more excited in the end with the D which I moved from having doubts all the way to being successful.  I sure liked the aggressive attitude and the fact that the kids knew how to tackle in space.  Notice how they defended that double stack WR sideline pass which we never could. 

I   also believe the recruiting wt the new emphasis on walk-ons and adding JUCOs plus signing highly skilled kids who fit the program will enable us to build for instant and long term success. 

Edited by TGHusker
  • Plus1 3

With the short period of time Frost and Co had to get offers out and get commits, I left question 3 at neutral as I don't think that what happens with this class is much his fault.  I had my doubts but I was pretty much neutral on the defense as I knew it's only the second year the DC has had these players running it.  About the only thing that changed in my opinion was my doubts on the defense after seeing it for the 3rd time all season against Auburn.  I think Chinader can make us a very good defensive squad that utilized sound tackling(haven't had that for many years now) and a go out there and maul them attitude.  It will take time either way but I see a turn around in the team chemistry coming sooner rather than later and currently that is all I am asking of thus far.  In the future that shall change as Frost and his guys get their kids in position to play like Nebraska should be playing.

For me it is too soon to even consider next year.  They need to get their feet wet and keep on keepin on.  It has been Coach Frost's way since he got to Nebraska.  I really don't expect much change in the way he does things.  I didn't enter the poll.  Bring it up again after the spring game, we will have more data and a better feel for who stays and who leaves.

Once it was confirmed that Scott Frost was the new head coach, I had a really strong feeling the offense would be great to excellent.  UCF's offensive performance this past season was pretty good.  The big question I had was on defense.  With the way the Knights handled Auburn, and limited them 27 points, was really impressive.  Regarding recruiting, I'm not as hung up on class or star rankings as some are because great coaching, and tremendous effort on the players parts, can make 3*s look like 5*s.  So right now, I'm neutral on recruiting. 

I voted defense neutral and offense positive for both cases.  Defense has been the biggest question mark for quite a few years so I am in a wait and see approach with that side of the ball.  Offense seems like it will be exciting enough to get some talented players interested in the program, but it will take some time to lure in the big dogs.  I took a safe response of neutral for recruiting overall, because the sample size is way to small to gauge how confident I am with recruiting at this point in time.  I am extremely optimistic, but cautiously reserved at the same time which feels weird.  

8 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

Once it was confirmed that Scott Frost was the new head coach, I had a really strong feeling the offense would be great to excellent.  UCF's offensive performance this past season was pretty good.  The big question I had was on defense.  With the way the Knights handled Auburn, and limited them 27 points, was really impressive.  Regarding recruiting, I'm not as hung up on class or star rankings as some are because great coaching, and tremendous effort on the players parts, can make 3*s look like 5*s.  So right now, I'm neutral on recruiting. 

I'm with you on recruiting.  I understand recruiting is very important, but it seems like some fans follow recruiting more than the actual games.  I understand that the seasons on the field haven't been up to the standard that we expect at NU, but focusing on recruiting is basically just saying "we may not be any good now, but we can be good in a few years".  I want a coach that is here to win now, and build a program that wins in a few years.  I think we have that in Coach Frost, and I will trust his talent judgement and recruiting to bring in players that are a fit for his program.

Yes, I'm not hung up on the star system.  Get guys wt passion to play and a great coach can coach them up. Wt a new S&C coach, I expect improvement there alone to move the players performance up a level as well. We cannot underestimate its affect - SF gave a lot of credit for UCF's success to the conditioning program.  They finished very strong in that Auburn game.

Badger fan here, I think you're going to find that while the 34 has its hangups that as a system it will fit your schools talent pool better. Your edge rushers won't be worn down as much on running downs given that you're playing 3 D-tackle sized linemen on the line and that big Nebraska boys will make for natural 34 ends. The undersized 43 DEs that you tend to recruit will become natural 34 OLBs. With this scheme you won't need to recruit 4 and 5 star 6'4 types who will grow into muscular athletic 43 DEs to build a top ten defense.

• Plus1 2

Watching the Peach Bowl I was amazed by how well UCF's undersized players tackled in open space.

It's amazing what good tackling fundamentals will do for a defense, regardless of system/athleticism.  For that reason alone I am optimistic.  Add to that Frost's obsession with speed in recruiting.

Speed kills.

• Plus1 1

I remain in neutral and wait and see mode.   I was probably more hopeful with Riley's hire although I felt it woudl take time (3-5 years) to really take full effect.  I felt with Riley we had a very experienced coach who had been around the game a long time at various levels and locations and therefore would understand the needs and differences etc.    I still like Riley as a person and believe he did many good, positive things to help Nebraska football move forward and re-emerge as a football program with much national respect and admiration, albeit not for winning lots of games.   We needed that in my view.  Whatever tarnish and stain the program had taken on from Bo's temper tantrums, etc. have been cleansed and in this way Scott Frost is getting a great opportunity.  Frost only has to focus on making our on the field football better and there is plenty of room to make us better without having to win championships immediately.  Riley had the unfortunate burden of winning titles (more than 9 games to better Bo).  This was going to be extremely hard and obviously Riley failed.  Can Frost do better than Bo?    Time will tell but that is his charge and the expectations will be strong for Frost to restore NU to top ten perennial status.   Anything short will be a failure ultimately as that is the task for every Husker football coach.   Most coaches need to do what Riley has done all his life - coach responsibly and be competitive now and then with the big boys at a not so big time school.   Riley is at home in Corvalis - and while he gave a good show of being home in Lincoln as our coach, he was not up to the task.  Frost may well be the ruthless, driven win at almost all costs coach (more like Devaney than Tom) that it will take to return us to dominance.     I am hopeful but not overly confident.   Time will tell.and it will take time.  Tom got 22 years to win a national title and contrary to reports was NEVER in serious trouble of being fired for lack of wins.   Frost will get one losing season as an allowance but if the losses continue, the water will get hot faster than most people think in my view.    

I replied "neutral" to all questions.  He and his staff have had minimal time to do recruiting, but based on the past 15+ years, I'm in a "wait and see" mode.  They made some noise, but as this is their first class here at NU, I'll wait to make any judgment.  

Now, I found that I initially started answering the questions based on how I feel about the coaches and their coaching abilities.   If that poll were to be given, I'd definitely not be neutral, especially after the bowl game.  Many comments so far are really referencing their coaching ability, not their recruiting ability.  I, like others, was thrilled to see such sound, fundamental tackling skills.  Really exciting.