Frost O & D, Recruiting - Your Confidence Level Poll

Frost O & D - Your Confidence Level- Poll  

109 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

23 minutes ago, grandpasknee said:

I replied "neutral" to all questions.  He and his staff have had minimal time to do recruiting, but based on the past 15+ years, I'm in a "wait and see" mode.  They made some noise, but as this is their first class here at NU, I'll wait to make any judgment.  

Now, I found that I initially started answering the questions based on how I feel about the coaches and their coaching abilities.   If that poll were to be given, I'd definitely not be neutral, especially after the bowl game.  Many comments so far are really referencing their coaching ability, not their recruiting ability.  I, like others, was thrilled to see such sound, fundamental tackling skills.  Really exciting.

Coaching ability is more important than recruiting ability.

The caveat is that I said MORE important. They are both important.

You can have success with a great coach who is a mediocre recruiter.  It does not work well the other way around.

To win championships you have to be really good at both, along with great support staff like S&C.

Edited by runningblind

I felt pretty good about the offense, but it pumped up my attitude seeing it work well against Auburn. Technically, I still have doubt about the D, but again, I have a more positive outlook about it after the bowl game.

Frost and company seem like solid recruiters and have been impressed with how they kept most of the commits and got new commits excited, all while prepping for a tough bowl game.

I had pretty serious doubts about the D before they played Auburn. I watched quite a few UCF games and most of them were run amuck scoring fests. Their guys always seemed to play hard and tackle well but they also gave up a lot of points. The Peach bowl alleviated some of my D concerns and I feel pretty good about bringing that D into the B1G West.

The offense has always been impressive but it was reassuring to see it against a top quality opponent. The thing to keep in mind is that Milton was not on his usual game the first half. I came away even more convinced that the B1G, and all our opponents, will struggle with this O.

Recruiting? Been impressed with the work ethic and with what they were able to do in a short time but it's more the philosophy that has me excited. They want the right type of player with the proper attitude and stars be damned. I love it. When you have confidence in the staffs ability to inspire, motivate and coach them up, recruiting becomes a lot less of a crap shoot and more just a required process of filling the right holes. That seems to be their approach and imo it can't really get any better than that.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Comfortably Numb said:

I had pretty serious doubts about the D before they played Auburn. I watched quite a few UCF games and most of them were run amuck scoring fests. Their guys always seemed to play hard and tackle well but they also gave up a lot of points. The Peach bowl alleviated some of my D concerns and I feel pretty good about bringing that D into the B1G West.

The offense has always been impressive but it was reassuring to see it against a top quality opponent. The thing to keep in mind is that Milton was not on his usual game the first half. I came away even more convinced that the B1G, and all our opponents, will struggle with this O.

Recruiting? Been impressed with the work ethic and with what they were able to do in a short time but it's more the philosophy that has me excited. They want the right type of player with the proper attitude and stars be damned. I love it. When you have confidence in the staffs ability to inspire, motivate and coach them up, recruiting becomes a lot less of a crap shoot and more just a required process of filling the right holes. That seems to be their approach and imo it can't really get any better than that.

I think your last point is spot on. With Callahan and Riley, they were so bad as game day coaches and the actual games themselves that fans could only hope that an upgrade in talent would improve the team. Bo did a good job of getting a lot of the talent, but wasn’t interested in working hard on the recruiting trail to build elite talent and proper depth. I think Frost and his staff will be the best of recruiting, development, and game day scheming. 

• Plus1 2