Peyton Newell Transferring to Kansas State?

Mavric

4 hours ago, Comfortably Numb said:

Well, good luck to him.

Is it just my perception or have we had more than our share of supposedly high ranked (high for us anyway) recruits that just really haven't contributed much by the time they leave? Newell, Gates, DPE come immediately to mind. I've never followed recruiting very closely and this is a big reason why but it just seems like we haven't had much luck with our higher ranked recruits. I would tend to blame the lack of player development under our last 2 coaches or is it just a string of bad luck on something that amounts to little more than hit or miss?

3 hours ago, Red Five said:

I get what you are saying, but you can't group these together.  DPE and Gates were 3 year starters.  Newell was lucky to see the field for 3 plays/game.

Gotta agree with Red Five on this on the group you put together.  To your main point though, this has been a major problem with Nebraska going back through multiple coaching staffs.  We aren't going to recruit like OSU or Alabama.  BUT...when we bring in a mid to high 4* or a 5* player, they dang well need to pan out.  Too often they don't.

I find this very odd and concerning that a player who has apparently done very well in the classroom in Lincoln to graduate there and for his senior year to suddenly transfer to K State, unless he's a Vetenary student there are few subjects where a degree from KSU outweighs one from NU.   It was a recruiting battle with KSU for him as I recall so who knows, maybe he has friends down there or something.   Otherwise, it suggests he did not enjoy his time as a Husker.  That's disappointing really.  Obviously, there were turbulent times but going through another coaching change (combined with a complete new team / scheme / etc) seems rather desperate indicating something very negative about Nebraska.   I really hate to see any players not having a positive experience as  Nebraska student / athlete.   Lincoln is a very nice city and I enjoyed all aspects of being a student there, particularly after the freshman year.  At the time I attended, there were far too many freshman students and the classroom / educational experience was NOT all positive for me (you were only a number and not a name, etc).   It was great in grad school (MBA and Law schools both).   I assumed the athlete students would have had a much more positive experience being a part of a group and having the comraderie, immediate friendships, etc as opposed to the dormatory experience and starting from scratch as I did.   

3 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I find this very odd and concerning that a player who has apparently done very well in the classroom in Lincoln to graduate there and for his senior year to suddenly transfer to K State, unless he's a Vetenary student there are few subjects where a degree from KSU outweighs one from NU.   It was a recruiting battle with KSU for him as I recall so who knows, maybe he has friends down there or something.   Otherwise, it suggests he did not enjoy his time as a Husker.  That's disappointing really.  Obviously, there were turbulent times but going through another coaching change (combined with a complete new team / scheme / etc) seems rather desperate indicating something very negative about Nebraska.   I really hate to see any players not having a positive experience as  Nebraska student / athlete.   Lincoln is a very nice city and I enjoyed all aspects of being a student there, particularly after the freshman year.  At the time I attended, there were far too many freshman students and the classroom / educational experience was NOT all positive for me (you were only a number and not a name, etc).   It was great in grad school (MBA and Law schools both).   I assumed the athlete students would have had a much more positive experience being a part of a group and having the comraderie, immediate friendships, etc as opposed to the dormatory experience and starting from scratch as I did.   

Even if you only count the 85 scholarship players, they aren’t all going to be happy during their time at NU. Given, Newell’s lack of playing time and the team success, and now his 3rd coach at NU it’s not surprising that he would try a different school for his last year of eligibility.  

3 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

He has had 3 years of "coaching" in a 4-3 and one year in a 3-4 where he wasn't a good fit.  If anyone can take a middle 3 star kid and polish him it would be Bill S. He has done it for 30 years.

• Plus1 1

Having graduated if he thinks he's got one more shot to hit the field at k-state as opposed to possibly never seeing it here I wish him nothing but success.  It sucks but can't say I wouldn't make the same decision. If he's got an opportunity to play instead of watch I hope he enjoys the gifts he's been given  

Edited by obert1

Let's be realistic - KSU has talent comparable to ours and there is little chance one can magically jump over the current KSU guys who've put in the time and effort and development at KSU in less than a year.  If he had been a star in Lincoln and had a falling out with the school or the coaches, that would be one thing.  Obviously he has NOT.  He just didn't cut the mustard and see the field much or just doesn't like Lincoln.  The first year is never easy at any new school.  In his case, he's graduated so he doesn't really need to take classes I suppose (or seriously anyway) unless he's working on a masters.  Again, it just makes little sense to me.  Tanner Lee transferred and sat out a year and then got his one year 'time to shine' and of course belly flopped.  Now he will take his lottery chance in the NFL (I wouldn't want to bet money on that).   He should have given it one more year to show he really is a NFL level player.   

33 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Let's be realistic - KSU has talent comparable to ours and there is little chance one can magically jump over the current KSU guys who've put in the time and effort and development at KSU in less than a year.  If he had been a star in Lincoln and had a falling out with the school or the coaches, that would be one thing.  Obviously he has NOT.  He just didn't cut the mustard and see the field much or just doesn't like Lincoln.  The first year is never easy at any new school.  In his case, he's graduated so he doesn't really need to take classes I suppose (or seriously anyway) unless he's working on a masters.  Again, it just makes little sense to me.  Tanner Lee transferred and sat out a year and then got his one year 'time to shine' and of course belly flopped.  Now he will take his lottery chance in the NFL (I wouldn't want to bet money on that).   He should have given it one more year to show he really is a NFL level player.   

These student athletes don’t owe it to you or anyone to stay at Nebraska for all their years of eligibility. Whether it’s Lee going pro or Newell transferring to another school, it’s their choice to do what’s best for them. Lee probably wasn’t a great fit for Frost’s offense and Newell hasn’t contributed at all for NU. It’s a good thing for players like this to leave. I don’t know why you think this is so bad. Maybe Newell has talked to the KSU coaches and they feel like they have a spot where he can contribute. Plus, KSU is closer to home and he probably knows quite a few players on the KSU team.

• Plus1 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Kind of forgot about this until now because I haven't heard anything more.  But I have been wondering about recruiting numbers as we look to be getting tight on spots available. 

However, as of right now Newell is still on the football roster on the web page and still in the UNL student directory so he doesn't seem to have left yet.

12 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Kind of forgot about this until now because I haven't heard anything more.  But I have been wondering about recruiting numbers as we look to be getting tight on spots available. 

However, as of right now Newell is still on the football roster on the web page and still in the UNL student directory so he doesn't seem to have left yet.

Possibly going to give it one last go for the Spring and see how it shakes out?

2 hours ago, Mavric said:

Possibly because he is not graduating until May.  So he could have the grad transfer all worked out with K St, but would still be a student at NU (and not go through spring practice) this semester.

Here is a list of football players who graduated in December.  There 2 are scholly guys on that list that are going to be 5th year seniors that have never played a meaningful down of football that could easily part ways.

Spoiler

Drew Brown (Football) Southlake, Texas (Supply Chain Management)
Brett Classen (Football) Medina, Minn. (Nutrition Science)
Erik Evans (Football) Waverly, Neb. (Marketing)
Tyler Hoppes (Football) Lincoln, Neb. (Sociology)
Chris Jones (Football) Jacksonville, Fla. (Sociology)
Joshua Kalu (Football) Houston, Texas (Child, Youth & Family Studies)
Connor Ketter (Football) Norfolk, Neb. (Nutrition Science)
David Knevel (Football) Brantford, Ontario, Canada (History)
Luke McNitt (Football) Kearney, Neb. (Management)
AJ Natter (Football) Milton, Wis. (Management/Marketing)
De’Mornay Pierson-El (Football) Alexandria, Va. (Communication Studies)
Mick Stoltenberg (Football) Gretna, Neb. (Management)
Adam Taylor (Football) Katy, Texas (Business Administration)
Kieron Williams (Football) Shreveport, La. (Advertising & Public Relations)

Edited by Red Five