2018 Season Notes

Mavric

• 3 weeks later...

I don't subscribe, but I did my own research:

Pitchers on roster that have not had arm injuries: (8 total, 3 of which are true freshmen)

Andrew Abrahamowicz - Fr. (14 IP)

Luis Alvarado - Sr. (49 IP)

Byron Hood - Rs Jr. (21 IP)

Max Schreiber - Fr. (5.1 IP)

Mitch Steinhoff - Jr. (8.1 IP)

Matt Waldron - Jr. (152.1 IP)

Keegan Watson - Fr. (5.1 IP)

Mike Waldron - Jr. (18.2 IP) - listed as utility player on roster

Pitchers on roster that have had arm injuries: (11 total, 1 of which occurred before transferring to Nebraska)

Connor Curry - Rs Fr.

Reece Eddins - Jr.

Zack Engelken - Jr.

Nate Fisher - Jr.

Ethan Frazier - Jr.

Jake Hohensee - Sr.

Chad Luensmann - Jr.

Jake McSteen - Jr.

Robbie Palkert - Jr.

Paul Tillotson - Rs Fr.

Matt Warren - Sr. - injury occurred while at Creighton

So 10 of 18 roster pitchers have had some sort of arm/shoulder injury while at Nebraska, which is 56%.  10 of 15 pitchers that have been in the program for at least a year have had an arm injury, which is 67%.

Of the pitchers who have not had an arm injury, only Matt Waldron (152.1 IP) has thrown more than 50 innings. Only 2 have thrown over 22 innings.

I know arm injuries seem to be more common in baseball these days, but this is getting to ridiculous levels.  At some point you have to stop thinking it's bad luck and you have to start looking at your practice, workload, and strength & conditioning practices.  Of course it's going to be hard for Erstad to have much success with these types of numbers, but a lot of the blame has to be placed on him and his staff.

Edit: Added Mike Waldron - he's listed as a utility player, but he has pitched some

Edit: Took Matt Warren out of the numbers as his injury occurred while at Creighton

Edited by HS_Coach_C
  • Plus1 3
On 3/30/2018 at 2:09 PM, HS_Coach_C said:

I don't subscribe, but I did my own research:

Pitchers on roster that have not had arm injuries: (8 total, 3 of which are true freshmen)

Andrew Abrahamowicz - Fr. (14 IP)

Luis Alvarado - Sr. (49 IP)

Byron Hood - Rs Jr. (21 IP)

Max Schreiber - Fr. (5.1 IP)

Mitch Steinhoff - Jr. (8.1 IP)

Matt Waldron - Jr. (152.1 IP)

Keegan Watson - Fr. (5.1 IP)

Mike Waldron - Jr. (18.2 IP) - listed as utility player on roster

Pitchers on roster that have had arm injuries: (11 total, 1 of which occurred before transferring to Nebraska)

Connor Curry - Rs Fr.

Reece Eddins - Jr.

Zack Engelken - Jr.

Nate Fisher - Jr.

Ethan Frazier - Jr.

Jake Hohensee - Sr.

Chad Luensmann - Jr.

Jake McSteen - Jr.

Robbie Palkert - Jr.

Paul Tillotson - Rs Fr.

Matt Warren - Sr. - injury occurred while at Creighton

So 10 of 18 roster pitchers have had some sort of arm/shoulder injury while at Nebraska, which is 56%.  10 of 15 pitchers that have been in the program for at least a year have had an arm injury, which is 67%.

Of the pitchers who have not had an arm injury, only Matt Waldron (152.1 IP) has thrown more than 50 innings. Only 2 have thrown over 22 innings.

I know arm injuries seem to be more common in baseball these days, but this is getting to ridiculous levels.  At some point you have to stop thinking it's bad luck and you have to start looking at your practice, workload, and strength & conditioning practices.  Of course it's going to be hard for Erstad to have much success with these types of numbers, but a lot of the blame has to be placed on him and his staff.

Edit: Added Mike Waldron - he's listed as a utility player, but he has pitched some

Edit: Took Matt Warren out of the numbers as his injury occurred while at Creighton

Good work here. Between the article and this info, that's rather damning information for Erstad and his staff. 

Keeping an eye on 2019 (since this season is all but lost already), I do hope we retool our staff and get to the bottom of what is causing these injuries.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow...I can't believe how quickly we dropped off. It's like Erstad just said "**** it" right after winning the B1G Regular Season last year and has put this thing on cruise control. 

Now, I get that's not what really happened, but man...things are looking exceptionally poor this year. If we can't even make the B1G tourney (which is a long-shot at this point) in our own backyard, I don't know if I can support another year of Erstad at the helm. 

I've watched a few games and the players seem to be going through the motions, like he's lost them.  The pitching change yesterday was terrible.  His comment was he was losing his stuff, but the annoucers said he looked good.  Either he can't coach or he's over thinking situtations.   Winning the Big 10 is a small acheivement, since it is not a baseball conference.  Its time to move on.