Income Inequality

• 2 weeks later...

From the linked article:

Protesters, several of whom came in from the Big Apple, demanded that New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo raise taxes on the state’s 118 billionaires to make up for a steep revenue shortfall amid the coronavirus pandemic.

The group is taking issue with Cuomo’s pitch to cut 20 percent in state funding from schools, hospitals and housing agencies. They noted that while the virus outbreak has deeply impacted low-income people and communities of color, the wealth of US billionaires has surged.

1 minute ago, DevoHusker said:

#2 behind California

That is such a staggering number.

I often wonder though, on those "richest people" lists...don't you think they are missing a lot and I mean a lot of middle eastern royalty, sheiks and people like that...like people that have 1,000 horses that are all 2 million dollars each and jewels and crap like that?  I feel like those people don't end up on the list.

14 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Ehhh, not a big difference (in my mind) as the "average joe" that goes an buys a gun or stocks up on ammo or gets ADT.  

When kids started shooting up schools I started keeping a golf club in my classroom.

Keeping a golf club in case of a shooter and hiring armed private security to keep away protesters are basically the same thing?

2 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Keeping a golf club in case of a shooter and hiring armed private security to keep away protesters are basically the same thing?

Yes.  But I am looking at it differently than you.  I am looking at them hiring security because they are afraid of getting robbed or hurt.  I don't think they care so much about people just protesting.  They might, but my guess is they just don't want their s#!t touched of to get hurt.

Also, it is a really nice golf club.

29 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Yes.  But I am looking at it differently than you.  I am looking at them hiring security because they are afraid of getting robbed or hurt.  I don't think they care so much about people just protesting.  They might, but my guess is they just don't want their s#!t touched of to get hurt.

Also, it is a really nice golf club.

We do look at it differently: I don't think a golf club and armed security are even remotely similar. Plus having a weapon in a classroom to defend against a possible shooter is not at all on the same level as having security to protect your summer home in the Hamptons.

8 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

We do look at it differently: I don't think a golf club and armed security and even remotely similar. Plus having a weapon in a classroom to defend against a possible shooter is not at all on the same level as having security to protect your summer home in the Hamptons.

Yeah, I get what you are saying.