Tangent Thread - Ohio State Recruiting Edition

21 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

All those top recruiting classes and they have only won 2 big ten titles in the 6 years meyer has been there. Michigan state has 2 titles in the same span. For the money he makes and the talent ohio state has thats pretty underwhelming. 

That's cherry picking some stats.  Ohio St has gone 73-8 vs MSU's 56-23.  Ohio St. was ineligible for post season in 2012 when they went undefeated and probably would have won at least a conference championship.  We lost in the CCG to Wisconsin who finished 3rd in their division that year.  Not to mention Ohio St. has won a national championship in that time frame.

Edited by STL Husker
  • Plus1 3
3 minutes ago, STL Husker said:

That's cherry picking some stats.  Ohio St has gone 73-8 vs MSU's 56-23.  Ohio St. was ineligible for post season in 2012 when they went undefeated and probably would have won at least a conference championship.  We lost in the CCG to Wisconsin who finished 3rd in their division that year.  Not to mention Ohio St. has won a national championship in that time frame.

I get what your saying- but its not cherry picking. The facts are the facts. Comparing recruiting rankings and how they translate to conference championships in the big ten. My only point being with as great as their head coach is and the recruiting classes they pull down and the fact the big ten has been down except for this year and last year. Maybe its more of an indictment on Meyer than it is recruiting. But its all excuses- 30 years from now all history will remember is the results. Either you won or you didnt. Michigan states record is not as good in that span but they still have the same amount of trophies in the case. Note Michigan states titles were not in the year ohio state was suspended. What i choose ohio state overall package success over michigan state. Of course- but we play for titles not regular season success.

14 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I get what your saying- but its not cherry picking. The facts are the facts. Comparing recruiting rankings and how they translate to conference championships in the big ten. My only point being with as great as their head coach is and the recruiting classes they pull down and the fact the big ten has been down except for this year and last year. Maybe its more of an indictment on Meyer than it is recruiting. But its all excuses- 30 years from now all history will remember is the results. Either you won or you didnt. Michigan states record is not as good in that span but they still have the same amount of trophies in the case. Note Michigan states titles were not in the year ohio state was suspended. What i choose ohio state overall package success over michigan state. Of course- but we play for titles not regular season success.

Ohio St has a national championship.  That's 3 championship trophies in 5 years.  In the years they haven't won the division, they had the same record as the division winner but lost the tiebreaker.  I don't know what your expectations are, but that's pretty damn impressive regardless of where you finish in the recruiting rankings. We need to win guys like these to get the level we want.  The playoff teams are rarely the teams who aren't high in the recruiting rankings.

Edited by STL Husker
2 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

All those top recruiting classes and they have only won 2 big ten titles in the 6 years meyer has been there. Michigan state has 2 titles in the same span. For the money he makes and the talent ohio state has thats pretty underwhelming. 

73-8 with 1 national championship and 2 conference titles is underwhelming, I've heard it all. 

Edited by Warrior10
  • Plus1 5

26 minutes ago, Warrior10 said:

73-8 with 1 national championship and 2 conference titles is underwhelming, I've heard it all. 

Not sure why you cant stick to the parameters of the conversation. The discussion is about conference titles. Not about regular season wins or a national championship. It is about Ohio State winning conference titles. Given they BLOW AWAY the big ten competition in recruiting paired with the best coach in the big ten but only have 2 titles in 6 years is underwhelming. 

For comparison. Alabama- best recruiting team in the conference. Best coach in the conference. 4 SEC titles in the last 6 years. I would say the cummulative 6 years SEC is better than Big Ten. 

Edited by Huskers93-97
2 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Not sure why you cant stick to the parameters of the conversation. The discussion is about conference titles. Not about regular season wins or a national championship. It is about Ohio State winning conference titles. Given they BLOW AWAY the big ten competition in recruiting paired with the best coach in the big ten but only have 2 titles in 6 years is underwhelming. 

Ohio St arguably has the highest rate of turnover of players year after year.  Yet they are usually within a game of getting to the CCG.  Once in a while they get beat for a tie breaker to go.  That doesn't mean recruiting 4 star talent is overrated because MSU or PSU catches them in their "down" year.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, StPaulHusker said:

Ohio St arguably has the highest rate of turnover of players year after year.  Yet they are usually within a game of getting to the CCG.  Once in a while they get beat for a tie breaker to go.  That doesn't mean recruiting 4 star talent is overrated because MSU or PSU catches them in their "down" year.

For comparison. Alabama- best recruiting team in the conference. Best coach in the conference. 4 SEC titles in the last 6 years. I would say the cummulative 6 years SEC is better than Big Ten

I would venture to say alabama has as much turnover as ohio state. Plus SEC competition has been better over those 6 years. 

I never said the blame went on 4 stars- I said combination of their recruiting and having the premier league coach seems underwhelming to me.

Just now, Huskers93-97 said:

For comparison. Alabama- best recruiting team in the conference. Best coach in the conference. 4 SEC titles in the last 6 years. I would say the cummulative 6 years SEC is better than Big Ten

I would venture to say alabama has as much turnover as ohio state. Plus SEC competition has been better over those 6 years. 

I never said the blame went on 4 stars- I said combination of their recruiting and having the premier league coach seems underwhelming to me.

Ok you are right.  Ohio St. is underwhelming when comparing them to probably the most dominant dynasty of all time.

• Plus1 1
13 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

For comparison. Alabama- best recruiting team in the conference. Best coach in the conference. 4 SEC titles in the last 6 years. I would say the cummulative 6 years SEC is better than Big Ten. 

If you're just not going to count real results, 73-8 record and 1 national championship, because it doesn't fit your "parameters"; there is no discussion to have. At least not one I'm interested in partaking in. 

Edited by Warrior10
  • Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, STL Husker said:

Ok you are right.  Ohio St. is underwhelming when comparing them to probably the most dominant dynasty of all time.

If you have FAR and AWAY superior talent than your competition and your coach is better than everyone else in the league. Do you not think 33% conference title win rate is kind of a let down. I do. 

5 minutes ago, Warrior10 said:

If you're just not going to count real results, 73-8 record and 1 national championship, because it doesn't fit your "parameters"; there is no discussion to have. At least not one I'm interested in partaking in. 

Because you are one of the guys who have a hard on for recruiting star rankings and you cant argue with the lack of results when it relates to conference titles. The problem is your looking at this like I am saying ohio state is no good. I am saying they have under performed with their coaching advantages and personnel advantages in comparison to their conference competition. Its about the game that matters right? When other conference teams have put together a good year they have beaten them head to head right?