Tangent Thread - Ohio State Recruiting Edition

21 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I think some of you guys need to take a deep breath, put aside your love for ohio state, urban meyer or star rankings and take an objective look at a lack of conference titles given the facts. Top coach in conference and top recruiting classes in conference. Especially since half of that 6 year period the conference really was not even good.

Husker fans being directed to put aside their love for OhioSt and Urban? Ok, now I've heard it all. 

• Plus1 1

Just now, Huskers93-97 said:

So you really dont see a correlation between having the best coach and the best players to winning the conference championship? I am by no means saying ohio state has not had good success. They have won alot of games, a national championship and 2 conference titles. I think that point has gotten lost. 

I am saying I am surprised they have not won more conference titles. Especially since half of his coaching tenure the big ten was not very good.

Urban made mistakes. 2012: Undefeated - Would played ND for a NC but instead Saban got the NC that year. That wasn't on him. 2013: He should have ran Hyde and not tried to run Miller for the first down in the B1G title game. 2014: B1G Champ/NC - Good enough. 2015: Lost on a last second FG in the rain to Mich St and should have ran Zeke more. This team is comparable to the Alabama team this year. 2016: Loss to Penn State when he should have called a TO before the FG when the clock was running down. CFB playoff Loss. 2017: Loss to OK and a bad loss to Iowa but still wins the B1G championship. Crap happens but he keeps on beating Michigan. 

That is from memory. Lots of close games and HC calls that maybe should have been different. Some of you guys are more critical than Buckeye fans which is hard to believe. I tend to sit back and enjoy the ride. 

• Plus1 1

46 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

So you really dont see a correlation between having the best coach and the best players to winning the conference championship? I am by no means saying ohio state has not had good success. They have won alot of games, a national championship and 2 conference titles. I think that point has gotten lost. 

I am saying I am surprised they have not won more conference titles. Especially since half of his coaching tenure the big ten was not very good.

There is a correlation.  But winning conference championships is far from the only measure of success.

There is a lot of real estate between "not won more conference championships" and "underwhelming" (or underwelcoming, if you prefer).

25 minutes ago, Mavric said:

There is a correlation.  But winning conference championships is far from the only measure of success.

There is a lot of real estate between "not won more conference championships" and "underwhelming" (or underwelcoming, if you prefer).

I know its not the only measure of success. Thats why I said I dont disagree how successful they have been as a program. I just said the conference titles in my opinion dont line up with the overall coaching, recruiting and overall wins. If I told you a team won 73 games in 6 years and asked you to predict how many conference titles they had in those 6 years. I dont think you could honestly say you would guess 2. I know I would guess 4. Just from a numbers stand point that is averaging 12 wins a year- so if your only losing 1-2 games a year- whats the chance your not winning conference titles left and right. Or what if I told you a team won 12 games every year for 6 straight years- how many conference titles do you think they won?