Very Important Recruiting class ?

HANC

I know that this is a recruiting topic, but not talking specific guys.

This may come across as pessimistic, but not intended that way.  Does anyone feel as if this may be one of SF's most important class.  I know that his staff will not and did not have a complete cycle this time around, but on the other hand, he will probably NEVER be as popular and "hot" as he is right now.  Everyone knows him ( almost 5-6 COY),  UCF is still making espn... etc...

Most of us agree that next year could be rough (still winning season).... after a year away from the awards and media, is it possible that the staff loses "clout"....even if our record improves by a few games.  I whole heartedly believe that things will turn around, but I also feel as if he needs to capitalize on the wave of momentum that may not happen again for awhile.

Hopefully we can swing a few more big time guys in the next 3 weeks.  It takes the athletes and coaching to regain the status it takes to consistently recruit at a high level.

• Plus1 4

I don't have impatience at all.  In fact, I am one saying that we shouldn't expect a CONFERENCE championship for at least 3-5 years.  That's having realistic expectations, which involves patience.  The main reason I wanted SF more than any other coach is the fact that Nebraska fans will (hopefully) give him the time needed to succeed.

I am just stating, or asking how important this class is, even though their time was short.  Patient or not, I stick by my thought that his stock is as high as it may ever be, as far as National attention.

• Plus1 3

I don't think so.  I think his character and background are going to carry him further than the accolades and success he's receiving at this moment.   Granted, these things may be important to some recruits but in the long run these potential players and their family will probably be more impressed by his entire body of work.  I also think that Scott and his staff are hand picking potential players according to their system, not the 'star' ranking of a player.  That's impressive to me.  Word of mouth about this coaching staff will go a long long way in getting good players to Nebraska.  

Edited by ladyhawke
  • Plus1 3

15 minutes ago, r06ue1 said:

It will be a good class, don't worry, but it won't be great, give it at least one full year and see what we get for the next class or two.  

I did a horrible job of presenting the topic.  I wasn't trying to imply that I was impatient or worried.  I follow the recruiting forum more than any other forum. I love recruiting.  I am pumped at the guys he is getting to come take a look in such a short time.  

I am not "frustrated" when a kid goes somewhere else. I just kind of feel that this class will be the one at the height of his popularity for a period of time.  After it wears off, then the results on the field will be the determining factor.

• Plus1 1
44 minutes ago, HANC said:

This may come across as pessimistic, but not intended that way.  Does anyone feel as if this may be one of SF's most important class.  I know that his staff will not and did not have a complete cycle this time around, but on the other hand, he will probably NEVER be as popular and "hot" as he is right now.  Everyone knows him ( almost 5-6 COY),  UCF is still making espn... etc...

Most of us agree that next year could be rough (still winning season).... after a year away from the awards and media, is it possible that the staff loses "clout"....even if our record improves by a few games.  I whole heartedly believe that things will turn around, but I also feel as if he needs to capitalize on the wave of momentum that may not happen again for awhile.

Hopefully we can swing a few more big time guys in the next 3 weeks.  It takes the athletes and coaching to regain the status it takes to consistently recruit at a high level.

Well, it's only going to be HCSF's most important class in his Nebraska coaching career so far. No pressure or anything.

I expected this class to fall into the usual parameters of where Nebraska usually does with a down tick due to the coaching change.  Anything more than that would simply be gravy for me.  Next year's class the 'regime change' class if you will is where I'll be much more interested.  I think it's really hard to come in and just start flipping guys in a short period of time.

22 minutes ago, HANC said:

I don't have impatience at all.  In fact, I am one saying that we shouldn't expect a CONFERENCE championship for at least 3-5 years.  That's having realistic expectations, which involves patience.  The main reason I wanted SF more than any other coach is the fact that Nebraska fans will (hopefully) give him the time needed to succeed.

I am just stating, or asking how important this class is, even though their time was short.  Patient or not, I stick by my thought that his stock is as high as it may ever be, as far as National attention.

I agree that his stock and national clout is likely as high right now as it ever will be. If he meets expectations and completes a similar turnaround at Nebraska as at UCF, the clout and prestige will remain and grow. I anticipate that will be the case. But I see no added importance or urgency with this current class. What I'm struggling with in your OP is the notion he needs to capitalize on the momentum and strike while the iron is hot. Exactly what is it that is within his control that he needs to do that isn't already being done? The question was asked as if he is not doing all he can now. Have you identified some deficiencies that we aren't seeing, and if not, what is it you think he should be doing differently?

• Plus1 2

Frost always recruited at the top of his league at UCF. He will be fine on the recruiting trail. If he can parlay this success into about a top 25-30 class he will have rode the momentum. I was hoping he could get us there and have us atop the west in recruiting again. He has us poised to do that while also bringing in immediate impact with the juco guys. 

I think Frost can keep the hype train going with a decent turnaround next year. He can sell recruits that the year after next Nebraska will be back and all he has to do is point to his UCF tenure. I expect recruiting to be better next year. 

Edited by Nebfanatic

54 minutes ago, r06ue1 said:

It will be a good class, don't worry, but it won't be great, give it at least one full year and see what we get for the next class or two.  

I agree and on top of that all of the players will be developed and coached up compared to what we've seen in recent years.  Recruiting is important, Coaching is more important.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, HANC said:

I wouldn’t be too worried.  He’ll still be one of the most popular coaches around, and Riley’s recruiting classes looked fairly decent on paper, so it’s not like Frost has nothing to work with.  

27 minutes ago, Comfortably Numb said:

I agree that his stock and national clout is likely as high right now as it ever will be. If he meets expectations and completes a similar turnaround at Nebraska as at UCF, the clout and prestige will remain and grow. I anticipate that will be the case. But I see no added importance or urgency with this current class. What I'm struggling with in your OP is the notion he needs to capitalize on the momentum and strike while the iron is hot. Exactly what is it that is within his control that he needs to do that isn't already being done? The question was asked as if he is not doing all he can now. Have you identified some deficiencies that we aren't seeing, and if not, what is it you think he should be doing differently?

Absolutely not.  I didn't mean for that to "come across" that way, but people are going to read things as they may.  It was a "general" statement regarding the class in relevance to his "popularity" and name recognition in the homes of almost everyone right now.  Not an indictment against him.  In fact, just the opposite.  Just stating that "hopefully" we can swing a handful of guys that maybe wouldn't normally consider Nebraska.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, knapplc said:

Expect nothing. Just sit back and relax and enjoy the show.  That's the best thing Husker Fan could do for the next two or three years. 

Yup, pretty much this. I expect us to be a very good team in 3-5 years and won't be surprised if it happens in 1. That's the only pressure I'm putting on anyone.

Edited by ScottyIce