Very Important Recruiting class ?

HANC

On 1/12/2018 at 10:26 AM, BaytownHusker said:

1.  Offense will be better already next year. / More explosive scheme

2. He has already changed the culture of the team by just being Scott Frost and not Mike R.

3. Chuck Norris would be scared of Scott Frost.

4. We win 8-10 games next year just cause we will be able to score alot more points.

I love your optimism but it will probably be a bit of a rough year in terms of win/loss record as people get acclimated to new systems and techniques.  That just takes time, and we're going to give that to him.  I do think they will be far better as a team, but w/l isn't going to be vintage Nebraska until next year.  (My opinion only, of course)

On 1/12/2018 at 6:18 AM, HANC said:

I know that this is a recruiting topic, but not talking specific guys.

This may come across as pessimistic, but not intended that way.  Does anyone feel as if this may be one of SF's most important class.  I know that his staff will not and did not have a complete cycle this time around, but on the other hand, he will probably NEVER be as popular and "hot" as he is right now.  Everyone knows him ( almost 5-6 COY),  UCF is still making espn... etc...

Most of us agree that next year could be rough (still winning season).... after a year away from the awards and media, is it possible that the staff loses "clout"....even if our record improves by a few games.  I whole heartedly believe that things will turn around, but I also feel as if he needs to capitalize on the wave of momentum that may not happen again for awhile.

Hopefully we can swing a few more big time guys in the next 3 weeks.  It takes the athletes and coaching to regain the status it takes to consistently recruit at a high level.

All I will say is that every recruiting class is important.  Whether one judges recruiting success via class/star ranking, by filling needs to maintain appropriate depth, or they think we're signing young men who "fit" within the culture Coach Frost is building is a matter of personal opinion.  There is also an ebb and flow to recruiting where some classes have more players that pan out than others.  Overall though, I agree with @KnappIc and think that the best thing all Nebraska fans can do is just sit back and enjoy the ride.

Personally, I don't think it'll take very long to turn this program around because I think the pieces are already mostly in place.  Coach Frost's (and the rest of his coaches) biggest challenge is (in my opinion) fixing what's between the players ears.  They get the attitude and minset fixed, everything else naturally follows.

Edited by Making Chimichangas

34 minutes ago, mwj98 said:

http://www.omaha.com/neprepzone/recruiting/football/recruiting-new-husker-coaching-staff-makes-rounds-to-check-out/article_3b298ff2-f7fb-11e7-b839-c7fae36c1d9b.html

The quote from the Lincoln High coach confirmed what I had been hearing from guys I know who coach in high school ball in Nebraska. Simply put, we had lost our way with recruiting.

Is this what you're talking about?

Nebraska running backs coach Ryan Held made the 2.2-mile trip from Memorial Stadium to Lincoln High on Friday. It was the first time in the seven years that coach Mark Macke has been at Lincoln High that a Nebraska coach has visited.

I don't give a crap if they didn't have any standout players in the past 7 years (I have no idea if that's the case). You go there to try to get good walk-ons. Inviting them to the stadium is one thing. Having a coach show up in person is exciting for the kids. Osborne came in person to my high school in 1996 or 1997 (1.5 hour trip from Lincoln) for a running back we had who really wasn't that amazing but it's something everyone got pumped up for and everyone in town knew about and I think it's worth doing. I don't think Osborne had any intention of offering him a scholarship. I think he did it because he thought this guy would be a good walk on and maybe earn one later.

Edited by Moiraine
  • Plus1 3
3 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I don't give a crap if they didn't have any standout players in the past 7 years (I have no idea if that's the case). You go there to try to get good walk-ons. Inviting them to the stadium is one thing. Having a coach show up in person is exciting for the kids. Osborne came in person to my high school in 1996 or 1997 (1.5 hour trip from Lincoln) for a running back we had who really wasn't that amazing but it's something everyone got pumped up for and everyone in town knew about and I think it's worth doing. I don't think Osborne had any intention of offering him a scholarship. I think he did it because he thought this guy would be a good walk on and maybe earn one later.

Not only that, but the university staff can help the local high schools develop the type of players they want.   

5 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Exactly!!!