Very Important Recruiting class ?

HANC

I love what he is doing with this class right now. All these JUCO kids we have brought in are mid to high grade 4 star caliber players. They are all just rated 3 stars because no one takes the time to rate them properly. Not to mention he has brought in ALOT of speed. Few of these guys are LEGIT 4.3 and 4.4 guys. Like real 4.3 speed. Not some high school kid who says yeah I run a 4.4 then they get on campus and its a 4.7. These guys look 4.3 on film, you can see it. Or they have actual verified electrical times. 

I said before Frost knows what he wants and what he needs. If he sees a guy rated .84 but has a skillset or speed he wants. Then he may be a .84 to everyone else but in frosts system he performs like a .97 guy.

• Plus1 1

This is a key class for Frost and the staff to get the ball rolling and fill some immediate roster holes with JUCO's.  However, the most important classes for his long-term success with be the 2019 and 2020 classes.  Those classes will be able to show that he can evaluate talent and develop relationships with high school players and coaches, and bring in the kids which will be the key to the success in years 3-7 in his tenure.

• Plus1 2
35 minutes ago, HANC said:

Absolutely not.  I didn't mean for that to "come across" that way, but people are going to read things as they may.  It was a "general" statement regarding the class in relevance to his "popularity" and name recognition in the homes of almost everyone right now.  Not an indictment against him.  In fact, just the opposite.  Just stating that "hopefully" we can swing a handful of guys that maybe wouldn't normally consider Nebraska.

Oh I agree, it's always an added bonus to do better recruiting. Considering he's doing all he can in that regard imo, I see no use in worrying about it or placing added importance on this class because of his current popularity. As TG said a few posts up, we're going to see the benefit of his ability to actually coach them up and his knack for going after the right type of player rather than star rankings. We'll be fine, things are headed in the right direction.

• Plus1 1

37 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I love what he is doing with this class right now. All these JUCO kids we have brought in are mid to high grade 4 star caliber players. They are all just rated 3 stars because no one takes the time to rate them properly. Not to mention he has brought in ALOT of speed. Few of these guys are LEGIT 4.3 and 4.4 guys. Like real 4.3 speed. Not some high school kid who says yeah I run a 4.4 then they get on campus and its a 4.7. These guys look 4.3 on film, you can see it. Or they have actual verified electrical times. 

I said before Frost knows what he wants and what he needs. If he sees a guy rated .84 but has a skillset or speed he wants. Then he may be a .84 to everyone else but in frosts system he performs like a .97 guy.

They are good prospects but this is an exaggeration at best. They will come in and do well in Frosts offense but come on now. This is the overhype I can't stand.

The only reason this would be the most important recruiting class for Frost, is if the fan base is only going to give him 3-4 years to turn this around.  If that's the case, then hell yes, this class better be dang good and start contributing right away.

Now, I don't believe the fan base is going to do that.  So....the answer is no.

11 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

They are good prospects but this is an exaggeration at best. They will come in and do well in Frosts offense but come on now. This is the overhype I can't stand.

I was listening to 1620 this morning and they were discussing how the juco guys they have targeted are not just regular guys. They are studs who will be contributing right away. An expectation to contribute right away is a typical thought process of a 4 or 5 star kid. So lets say Bell starts at RB, Honas starts at LB, and the 2 4.3 4.4 speed receivers play consistently and make some big plays for us. Does that sound like a 4 star or a 3 star? 

Not saying those things are a given- but I could easily see all 4 of those guys being a big part of what we do 

Just now, Huskers93-97 said:

I was listening to 1620 this morning and they were discussing how the juco guys they have targeted are not just regular guys. They are studs who will be contributing right away. An expectation to contribute right away is a typical thought process of a 4 or 5 star kid. So lets say Bell starts at RB, Honas starts at LB, and the 2 4.3 4.4 speed receivers play consistently and make some big plays for us. Does that sound like a 4 star or a 3 star? 

Not saying those things are a given- but I could easily see all 4 of those guys being a big part of what we do 

If Juco prospects aren't ready to contribute right away then we shouldn't be recruiting them. That is the entire reason you recruit juco prospects, to fill immediate holes. 

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

If Juco prospects aren't ready to contribute right away then we shouldn't be recruiting them. That is the entire reason you recruit juco prospects, to fill immediate holes. 

So most JUCO prospects should really be considered 4 star talent from a recruiting standpoint then? Because most 3 stars are probably good talent but will probably redshirt most times right? Then most expect 4 and 5 stars to have a chance to contribute right away? 

I understand JUCO is different that high school. But if we dont view a JUCO as a 4 or 5 star talent to help contribute why recruit them anyway. Thats just my opinion.

1 minute ago, Huskers93-97 said:

So most JUCO prospects should really be considered 4 star talent from a recruiting standpoint then? Because most 3 stars are probably good talent but will probably redshirt most times right? Then most expect 4 and 5 stars to have a chance to contribute right away? 

I understand JUCO is different that high school. But if we dont view a JUCO as a 4 or 5 star talent to help contribute why recruit them anyway. Thats just my opinion.

That literally makes no sense. Just because a player is more physically ready because he is 2 to 3 years older doesn't mean they are a better prospect. Which is better a player who can contribute for 4 years or 2? You're adding juniors in Juco recruiting not freshman. If a player can't contribute by junior year they should be a walk on. 

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

That literally makes no sense. Just because a player is more physically ready because he is 2 to 3 years older doesn't mean they are a better prospect. Which is better a player who can contribute for 4 years or 2? You're adding juniors in Juco recruiting not freshman. If a player can't contribute by junior year they should be a walk on. 

I guess I look at star ranking as a way to say how good that player is right now. Not how many years they have to contribute. Any player high school or JUCO if he is a .95 we expect him to play right away is that fair? 

If a guy is a JUCO or high school player and they are rated a .83 we probably assume the talent level they have they will not contribute right away because their talent level is not amazing or they need to develop. So say this Mike Williams comes in who is rated a .83, say he has 800 yards and a few tds next season. That doesnt feel like a guy with .83 talent to me. 

2 hours ago, HANC said:

I am just stating, or asking how important this class is, even though their time was short.  Patient or not, I stick by my thought that his stock is as high as it may ever be, as far as National attention.

It's important in the sense that every recruiting class is important, but I think @knapplc's point rings true - this is not something we should be worrying about or putting more weight on than it needs.

Frost and his staff's stock may be at an all-time high, but that's not going to change significantly with a difficult year in 2018. Recruits are smart. They look at schedules, they look at the tenure, they look at the potential. They also understand new head coaches can face significant hurdles in transition years. The fact that they're in on some guys with offers to other major schools and have even beat out more established schools for big recruits (Will Honas) is about the best I can expect in a transition year.

• Plus1 2
9 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I guess I look at star ranking as a way to say how good that player is right now. Not how many years they have to contribute. Any player high school or JUCO if he is a .95 we expect him to play right away is that fair? 

If a guy is a JUCO or high school player and they are rated a .83 we probably assume the talent level they have they will not contribute right away because their talent level is not amazing or they need to develop. So say this Mike Williams comes in who is rated a .83, say he has 800 yards and a few tds next season. That doesnt feel like a guy with .83 talent to me. 

You don't really understand recruiting rankings but thats ok. Again Juco players are going to be more ready physically so they will be able to contribute right away, but they may not have an elite skillset or a handful of other things. If you recruit a low 3 star player they can still blossom into great contributers in their junior and senior years, but they aren't going to get drafted because they aren't elite prospects with elite skillsets or atheticism or size or a combo of all of that. I'm sorry but I'm taking Josh Moore over juco Mike Williams every day of the week. Moore is the better prospect in the long term, he has the ability to take over games in his junior and senior season. 

If you look, some juco players are rated extremely high. Alot of times these guys were big time recruits coming out of high school who had academic problems. So its not like all Jucos aren't rated well. The elite athetes get recognized. Williams and Woodyard will do great in Frosts offense and will likely outperform their ratings, but that doesn't make them in the top 100 or so prospects in the country.

Edited by Nebfanatic