Very Important Recruiting class ?

HANC

29 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

You don't really understand recruiting rankings but thats ok. Again Juco players are going to be more ready physically so they will be able to contribute right away, but they may not have an elite skillset or a handful of other things. If you recruit a low 3 star player they can still blossom into great contributers in their junior and senior years, but they aren't going to get drafted because they aren't elite prospects with elite skillsets or atheticism or size or a combo of all of that. I'm sorry but I'm taking Josh Moore over juco Mike Williams every day of the week. Moore is the better prospect in the long term, he has the ability to take over games in his junior and senior season. 

If you look, some juco players are rated extremely high. Alot of times these guys were big time recruits coming out of high school who had academic problems. So its not like all Jucos aren't rated well. The elite athetes get recognized. Williams and Woodyard will do great in Frosts offense and will likely outperform their ratings, but that doesn't make them in the top 100 or so prospects in the country.

Ok fine I dont understand recruiting rankings. I just look at a guy like Lavontae David- received no rating. Randy Gregory was a .82 guy. That sure doesnt seem like unrated or .82 talent. They both dominated like you say Joshua Moore could. Now no one apparently thought much of david or gregory from a ranking prospective.

They contributed as much or more than any 4 star kid we have recruited. 

Edited by Huskers93-97
  • Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Ok fine I dont understand recruiting rankings. I just look at a guy like Lavontae David- received no rating. Randy Gregory was a .82 guy. That sure doesnt seem like unrated or .82 talent. They both dominated like you say Joshua Moore could. Now no one apparently thought much of david or gregory from a ranking prospective.

They contributed as much or more than any 4 star kid we have recruited. 

I understand that, alot of players get overlooked, but you are overlooking the fact there are .92-.95 rated juco players as well. Sites can't rerate the players after they have played college ball, they only have so much information. There are alot of fast players out there so speed isn't the only factor. I get what you are saying but also they are juniors so they aren't as valuable as a freshman prospect who could potentially do the same. 

8 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

I understand that, alot of players get overlooked, but you are overlooking the fact there are .92-.95 rated juco players as well. Sites can't rerate the players after they have played college ball, they only have so much information. There are alot of fast players out there so speed isn't the only factor. I get what you are saying but also they are juniors so they aren't as valuable as a freshman prospect who could potentially do the same. 

I respect that. The last point I will make is I think a big proponent of the frost/chip kelly system is speed means more to them. It allows speed to flourish more to them. So these speed guys should excel more in their system than they would to someone say using alabama's pro style. Where frost system says we will get you in space and turn on the jets.

So maybe we get 2 years of yards, tds and explosive plays out of this .83 speed demon that alabama will get out of their .98 4 star.

Edited by Huskers93-97
1 minute ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I respect that. The last point I will make is I think a big proponent of the frost/chip kelly system is speed means more to them. It allows speed to flourish more to them. So these speed guys should excel more in their system than they would to someone say using alabama's pro style. Where frost system says we will get you in space and turn on the jets.

No doubt about that. At every position on offense this system is designed to utilize talent that may be overlooked by other programs. Sounds a little like an offense we used to run..

• Plus1 1

Is the first years recruiting class important? Yes

Most important? I think not

Why you may ask? I believe each of SF recruiting class from here foreword, will be equally as important, but I believe the most important aspect to Frost and how future recruitment needs are covered, is what he can accomplish with the guys we have now. Development and cohesiveness of building a team, starts with what we have in our cupboard.

He has a design on what has worked for him in the recent past, most of the coaching staff he has built solid trust in, and the winning attitude that balances aggressiveness, with appropriate handholding and professionalism when needed. I say what Knapp has referred to above, is good medicine for all of us Husker fans. I do not think one, or better yet, the initial recruting class, will make or break what is in the cards for his team on along term basis. By the way, I also believe that our AD Moos, has a similar mindset, and having a little patience while the house is rebuilt, should be expected. 2018 less 1997 = 21 (Years).

Let’s not kid ourselves that this will be like hitting the 

s0134257_sc7?$thb$

Edited by TAKODA

I think the hype from the UCF rebuild certainly helps this year and class, but I don't think the staff is securing all these visits and commits based on that hype alone. A lot of these kids were in contact with this staff since before they went undefeated and now with the N on the polo, they are more willing to listen than before.  The ties to Juco and FL will continue to pay dividends much more than the hype of this year will over the long term. 

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

The only reason this would be the most important recruiting class for Frost, is if the fan base is only going to give him 3-4 years to turn this around.  If that's the case, then hell yes, this class better be dang good and start contributing right away.

Now, I don't believe the fan base is going to do that.  So....the answer is no.

I get exactly what you are saying. My thought though is that a good portion of our fan base doesn't understand the paradigm shift that has occurred with this hire. IMO, we can't even apply the same metrics as we have since TO left the sideline. This is a completely different deal than the 4 previous coaches IMO and what we have been using to judge them for the last 15+ years should probably get thrown out the window once we see the actual competitive intensity we will soon be exhibiting. The W-L record won't be at the forefront for me like it was with Riley because I know (yes, I know) that it will be better immediately. I think when the fans that are maybe younger and missed the glory days see the difference in the games that their criteria will change  I could be wrong but for me this is it. I believe it will work out marvelously and if it doesn't, I'm done anyway. I reached my limit this year and it's all or nothing. If SF struggles (which I don't believe there is any chance of), I'll shrug it off and find better things things to be concerned about. Maybe it's just me...:dunno

This class is important not just from a physical talent standpoint, but also because they are coming in with confidence in the staff and the system.  That confidence should affect the players from the previous 4 years in a good way.  

From a strictly talent perspective this class probably looks about as good as it's ranking: mid 30s.   That being said, the group isn't complete and 5 weeks ago we were in the low 70s so it's a huge upgrade already.  By the 24/7 class calculator we have a really good shot at ending up with a top 20 class.   That in itself is an amazing feat.   

• Plus1 4
57 minutes ago, Crazyhole said:

This class is important not just from a physical talent standpoint, but also because they are coming in with confidence in the staff and the system.  That confidence should affect the players from the previous 4 years in a good way.  

From a strictly talent perspective this class probably looks about as good as it's ranking: mid 30s.   That being said, the group isn't complete and 5 weeks ago we were in the low 70s so it's a huge upgrade already.  By the 24/7 class calculator we have a really good shot at ending up with a top 20 class.   That in itself is an amazing feat.   

No way we end up top 20. 23-28 is my guess. Still really good all things considered.

Edited by Nebfanatic

To raise us to the top 20 from mid 30s, it will take more than 4 - 4 stars.  All the other teams will be adding a few more to theirs as well, presumably, unless they are simply loaded up to 25 already.   I don't have any idea on that but other teams will add to their totals as well.  Now if we go to 25, adding another 10 4 star guys, we would likely jump a fairly big bunch.   There is no real chance of that as there probably aren't that many remaining out there.

I would hope we find atleast 3 dam good linemen.  Not seeing much discussion or mention of O line guys but I would think we need 3 every year, minimum for the next 6 years to rebuild a line to where it needs to be.  

QB will  be interesting.  I think we'll find one who can play fairly well but as a true frosh, we're going to suffer some serious 'growing pains.   RB will be OK.  WR should be adequate.  The real issue will remain D line and LBs.  They have got be great pass rushing / run stoppers or the big ten will run over us.   '

6 hours ago, Crazyhole said:

I used the class calculator and added in 4 of the 4 stars that are visiting over the next 2 weeks and it brought us to 18.   I don't expect it, but it wouldn't surprise me 

18 right now but you have to look at the scores from years past. Alot of teams will move up from now.

10 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

18 right now but you have to look at the scores from years past. Alot of teams will move up from now.

Probably true, and I'm not saying that we will move into the top 20, I'm just saying it's possible.   If you look at who's behind us, only 2 teams have enough spots left that have a legitimate chance of passing us.   Ahead of us, between 35 and 18, only 3 teams aren't already nearly full or complete classes.  Now obviously the likelihood of signing 4 more 4 stars isn't real high, but after seeing what frost did in just 2 weekends of visits (9 signees), it isn't out of the realm of possibility.   

If I were a betting man i would put money on a top 25 class this year, which is remarkable.