Trump is Racist

2 hours ago, ZRod said:

So, just being devil's advocate. What about the tweet is racist? It's a select group of women who have criticized him, one foreign born. He doesn't denote their ethnicities. The one country in question (assuming he only really meant one, since he's an idiot and can't type well) is in fact a war torn nation in civil war for the better part of 3 decades.

"Go back to where you came from" has been used for longer than you or I have been around as a dog whistle to indicate to people who aren't caucasian that they are not welcome in the United States. 

• Plus1 8

3 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

"Go back to where you came from" has been used for longer than you or I have been around to indicate to people who aren't caucasian that they are not welcome in the United States. 

Indeed - I'm on your side on this.  Just pointing out that regardless of how it's being potentially spun and ZRods' previous post, that there's no way to explain this is appropriate.

My sarcasm didn't come fully across.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
4 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

Indeed - I'm on your side on this.  Just pointing out that regardless of how it's being potentially spun and ZRods' previous post, that there's no way to explain this is appropriate.

My sarcasm didn't come fully across.

Yea, we're in lock-step here, I think. 

2 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

"Go back to where you came from" has been used for longer than you or I have been around as a dog whistle to indicate to people who aren't caucasian that they are not welcome in the United States. 

I'll take this a step further. No one should go out of their way to give the Birther-in-Chief, with what he's said about Mexicans, Native Americans and immigrants in general, the benefit of the doubt.

When he says "progressive Democratic Congresswomen" it's abundantly clear who he's talking about. And the sentiment "go back where you came from" attempts to deny them their status as Americans like the rest of us. Pretty clear he's trying to say that immigrants or those recently descended from them aren't as American as others (in this case, white folks).

It's racist because he's attempting to make those women into an other against which to pit his supporters primarily because they come or came from different parts of the world. The subtext is that white Americans who have no such recent lineage from outside our shores are superior to them.

And honestly, the whole "The United States is the greatest country ever and you can't criticize it" bit is so lame. That's part of his argument and I've seen other GOP politicians starting to toss it out there as well now in response to all this. It's a lazy attempt to shut down any legitimate criticism of our country. Blind nationalism is not patriotic nor is it helpful at this juncture. We become better and improve ourselves not by ignoring our faults but by being honest about them.

• Plus1 5
  • Fire 1

4 hours ago, ZRod said:

So, just being devil's advocate. What about the tweet is racist? It's a select group of women who have criticized him, one foreign born. He doesn't denote their ethnicities. The one country in question (assuming he only really meant one, since he's an idiot and can't type well) is in fact a war torn nation in civil war for the better part of 3 decades.

You have a point. I think xenophobic is more accurate than racist. Misogynist goes without saying. 

But it's all part of the same toxic stew, isn't it?  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

Ding ding ding. You could make an argument it isn't racist if Trump ever encouraged Clinton, Sanders, Biden, etc. to go back where they came from. 

5 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

You have a point. I think xenophobic is more accurate than racist. 

If your xenophobia only applies to countries that brown/black people come from, it's not xenophobia, it's racism (or it's both i guess?). Has Trump ever showed xenophobia to white dominant countries? 

So what will occur first -

1.  George and Kellyanne Conway divorce

2.  Kellyanne gets fired by Trump because George calls Trump a racist.   

3.  Kellyanne just quietly slips off into the sunset and leaves the Trump admin - for "personal reasons"

4.  Status quo - things stay as they are.  George and Kellyanne reap the benefits of being the yin and the yang

https://www.thehour.com/opinion/article/I-denied-that-Trump-was-a-racist-Not-anymore-14097653.php

The heart of his editorial here:

And how naive an adult could be. The birther imaginings about Barack Obama? Just a silly conspiracy theory, latched onto by an attention seeker who has a peculiar penchant for them. The "Mexican" Judge Gonzalo Curiel incident? Asinine, inappropriate, a terrible attack on the judiciary by an egocentric man who imagined that the judge didn't like him. The white supremacists' march in Charlottesville, Virginia? The president's comments were absolutely idiotic, but he couldn't possibly have been referring to those self-described Nazis as "good people"; in his sloppy, inarticulate way, he was referring to both sides of the debate over Civil War statues, and venting his anger about being criticized.

No, I thought, President Donald Trump was boorish, dim-witted, inarticulate, incoherent, narcissistic and insensitive. He's a pathetic bully but an equal-opportunity bully - in his uniquely crass and crude manner, he'll attack anyone he thinks is critical of him. No matter how much I found him ultimately unfit, I gave still him the benefit of the doubt about being a racist. No matter how much I came to dislike him, I didn't want to think that the president of the United States is a racial bigot.

But Sunday left no doubt. Naivete, resentment and outright racism, roiled in a toxic mix, have given us a racist president. Trump could have used vile slurs, including the vilest of them all, and the intent and effect would have been no less clear. Telling four nonwhite members of Congress - American citizens all, three natural-born - to "go back" to the "countries" they "originally came from"? That's racist to the core. It doesn't matter what these representatives are for or against - and there's plenty to criticize them for - it's beyond the bounds of human decency. For anyone, not least a president.

What's just as bad, though, is the virtual silence from Republican leaders and officeholders. They're silent not because they agree with Trump. Surely they know better. They're silent because, knowing that he's incorrigible, they have inured themselves to his wild statements; because, knowing that he's a fool, they don't really take his words seriously and pretend that others shouldn't, either; because, knowing how damaging Trump's words are, the Republicans don't want to give succor to their political enemies; because, knowing how vindictive, stubborn and obtusely self-destructive Trump is, they fear his wrath.

But none of that is good enough. Trump is not some random, embittered person in a parking lot - he's the president of the United States. By virtue of his office, he speaks for the country. What's at stake now is more important than judges or tax cuts or regulations or any policy issue of the day. What's at stake are the nation's ideals, its very soul.

• Thanks 1

Relevant in January 2018 when I wrote it and demonstrably relevant today:

We can stop beating around the bush.

No more "that has racial undertones" or "he is enabling white supremacists."

We need to just call Trump what he is, a racist.

There is no twisting this anymore. You are either rational, logical,  honest and can admit Trump is racist, or you are not.

• Plus1 2