Mike Riley’s salary at Oregon State... $50k.

Saunders

2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I think it's kinda funny that Riley is only making $50K.  It doesn't bother me at all that this isn't going to significantly reduce NU's payments to him.  Riley would probably be a volunteer coach at Oregon State, if it were allowed.

I know a way to make this all better. Lets take the Eichorst buyout away from him and use it to pay off Riley since that was his dumbass hire.

• Plus1 2

Riley’s contract also states that “within a reasonably brief period following termination, Coach shall use his or her best efforts to seek and secure substantially comparable employment including the customary and reasonable terms and conditions of compensation at the new employment, without structuring or timing compensation to avoid mitigation.”

For example, if Riley were to take a position that paid $600,000 annually, the $50,000 per month would lower the NU obligations from $170,000 to $120,000.

This was from an article back in November, before he was fired.  Kaipust got the $50 K right, but the time-frame wrong.  Per YEAR.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/football/nebraska-owes-mike-riley-compensation-similar-to-the-costs-involved/article_21f71840-c643-11e7-84a5-3b411889e684.html

Edited by Kiyoat Husker
  • Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, Kiyoat Husker said:

Yeah... I''m guessing that includes FCS, D-II, D-III and NAIA.

Asst. Head Coach has recently been used as a way to justify overpaying assistant coaches that recruit well (in FBS)

Yea, I have no idea the parameters of Erin's search, but that's the only somewhat-concrete justification for his salary that I've seen

6 minutes ago, Kiyoat Husker said:

Asst. Head Coach has recently been used as a way to justify overpaying assistant coaches that recruit well (in FBS)

If it does, then that's not going to be valid and the lawyers are gonna be unleashed by Nebraska. Oregon State, contrary to their football history, is a P5 school, and I'm sure as hell that the average salary for his position at a P5 school is a lot more than $50k/year.

BTW, Kiyoat Husker, your sig makes me depressed every time I see it. :D

Edited by VectorVictor
38 minutes ago, Saunders said:

Yeah, usually there’s some sort of market value clause.

Yep.  This is a lawsuit waiting to happen and would be an easy win for the university.  It's almost as obvious as if he were to work for 1$ per year and is an obvious breach of contract.   If they choose to pursue it (they wont) it could negate the entire buyout clause.  

10 minutes ago, Kiyoat Husker said:

It has to.  I can't imagine the average salary of a d1 assistant coach is under 100,000, let alone an assistant head coach.