Mike Riley’s salary at Oregon State... $50k.

Saunders

5 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Its not fine with me but those teams can still have an upward trajectory with the right people in place. The idea that if Frost fails Husker football is over is such hyperbole. I tend to find 'the sky is falling' takes pretty short sighted.

Some people have passion for the program despite the results.

That passion won't last forever, that is the point I am making.  Another 5-7 years of failure would kill a good chunk of it.

Lumping every statement that isn't pumping sunshine into 'hyperbole' and  'the sky is falling' is short sighted. You can keep your head in the sand thinking everything will just stay the same until the end of time, that is fine,  but isn't reality.

All that said, I think Frost will do fine.

Last thing I will say about it.  

On 1/12/2018 at 11:50 AM, ColoradoHusk said:

I think it's kinda funny that Riley is only making $50K.  It doesn't bother me at all that this isn't going to significantly reduce NU's payments to him.  Riley would probably be a volunteer coach at Oregon State, if it were allowed.

It is.  Tyrone Willingham became a volunteer coach at Stanford until his duties in the college football playoff committee took him elsewhere.  And it was coaching something he truly loved.

9 hours ago, runningblind said:

That passion won't last forever, that is the point I am making.  Another 5-7 years of failure would kill a good chunk of it.

Lumping every statement that isn't pumping sunshine into 'hyperbole' and  'the sky is falling' is short sighted. You can keep your head in the sand thinking everything will just stay the same until the end of time, that is fine,  but isn't reality.

All that said, I think Frost will do fine.

Last thing I will say about it.  

Saying things like "if frost fails to succeed the program will be dead" is hyperbole to me, because it will in fact not be dead. So say what you want but we will still have a program 10 years from now no matter what happens. I don't think that position means i have my head in the sand. Good day

On 1/12/2018 at 11:02 PM, LaunchCode said:

This thread cracks me up.  So many people fired up and demanding action without even questioning or wanting to know what all the facts of the matter are.  Good lord I hope I"m never wrongly accused of a crime and end up with a jury who decides innocence and guilt before the testimony even begins. 

MR doesn't use an agent, if he was trying to milk dollars from anyone he'd have an agent.  He also wouldn't have stayed at OSU as long as he did when better more lucrative offers came his way if he put that high a priority on money.  I'm willing to bet he's had communication with N during this process and has no problem with setting an offset for his N contract at a reasonable salary amount for his new position something like 250k even though he's getting paid 50K. 

That said, lets be clear here, it wasn't MR who broke the contract in the first place, it was N who broke it by not honoring the specified contractual period he was to be HC, a time period both agreed upon when signing the contract.  The contract is there to protect both parties.  Once Nebraska decided not to live up to their end of the contract they knew the consequences and the price tag and now need to live up to what they agreed upon. 

+1

/Thread....until, as Paul Harvey would say, we get the rest of the story.

22 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

There seriously needs to be, in college football and in the private sector as well, a conversation about changing radically how people at the top, who FAIL are rewarded financially.  It is a complete load of bulls*** how an incompetent person like Mike Riley can go 19-19, fail miserably at every conceivable level, and still walk away with 12 million dollars.  My solution is: lower the base pay to a max cap of $1,000,000.  Then, give huge bonuses, even higher than what is offered now, that reward championships and success.  If a coach fails and is fired, he gets NOTHING except whatever base pay he is entitled to up to the point of being fired.  That's how it works in the real world for almost everyone (minus the bonuses for doing great in most cases).  Why should certain people be so richly rewarded for failure?  Makes no sense and it needs to change.

The conversation occurs every time a fan buys their tickets, makes a donation, demands or supports television coverage of their team or otherwise financially enables these ludicrous contracts. I think it's run amuck also but let's not act like there is a "conversation" to be had. It's free enterprise and apparently money is plentiful and common sense is woefully lacking. And, in this specific case, Nebraska had the opportunity to do due diligence and/or agree to a more favorable contract. They did neither and now have to pay for the poor choice, as they should have to.

1 hour ago, Comfortably Numb said:

+1

/Thread....until, as Paul Harvey would say, we get the rest of the story.

Nebraska is still holding up their end of the contract.  Whether they fired him or not, they continue to pay.  It’s Riley who is not honoring the contract he signed that states he will find employment at a comparable salary to similar positions in whatever industry he elects to work.

• Plus1 7
23 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

There seriously needs to be, in college football and in the private sector as well, a conversation about changing radically how people at the top, who FAIL are rewarded financially.  It is a complete load of bulls*** how an incompetent person like Mike Riley can go 19-19, fail miserably at every conceivable level, and still walk away with 12 million dollars.  My solution is: lower the base pay to a max cap of $1,000,000.  Then, give huge bonuses, even higher than what is offered now, that reward championships and success.  If a coach fails and is fired, he gets NOTHING except whatever base pay he is entitled to up to the point of being fired.  That's how it works in the real world for almost everyone (minus the bonuses for doing great in most cases).  Why should certain people be so richly rewarded for failure?  Makes no sense and it needs to change.

They get paid because that's what the market has dictated and what the coach was able to negotiate. It is outlandish to you and I, but it comes with the territory when running something that involves hundreds of millions of dollars.

21 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Nebraska is still holding up their end of the contract.  Whether they fired him or not, they continue to pay.  It’s Riley who is not honoring the contract he signed that states he will find employment at a comparable salary to similar positions in whatever industry he elects to work.

Actually you/we have absolutely no idea if he is honoring his contract or not. I suspect he is and we simply don't have all the info. And, if he is not, it will be up to our people to hold him accountable to a reasonable mitigating salary value. But it sure is a whole bunch of fun pretending that he could possibly be trying to pull one over on DONU.

39 minutes ago, Comfortably Numb said:

Actually you/we have absolutely no idea if he is honoring his contract or not. I suspect he is and we simply don't have all the info. And, if he is not, it will be up to our people to hold him accountable to a reasonable mitigating salary value. But it sure is a whole bunch of fun pretending that he could possibly be trying to pull one over on DONU.

Yes.  Of course.  On its face it looks like the parameters of the contract are not being met

3 hours ago, Comfortably Numb said:

The conversation occurs every time a fan buys their tickets, makes a donation, demands or supports television coverage of their team or otherwise financially enables these ludicrous contracts. I think it's run amuck also but let's not act like there is a "conversation" to be had. It's free enterprise and apparently money is plentiful and common sense is woefully lacking. And, in this specific case, Nebraska had the opportunity to do due diligence and/or agree to a more favorable contract. They did neither and now have to pay for the poor choice, as they should have to.

My point is, going forward the kind of contract structure I am proposing (I think) should become the new norm.  It will take a bold AD to stand up and address the out-of-control arms race that college football has become.   

And to your point: I realize I am probably on the "losing end" of this argument because too many college football fans will pay whatever it costs.  The prevailing sentiment among college football fans seems to be: "Naw, let's just ride this bubble till it pops.'

The current system is unsustainable and the time to fix what's wrong, with minimal interruption, is before the crash.

2 hours ago, mrandyk said:

They get paid because that's what the market has dictated and what the coach was able to negotiate. It is outlandish to you and I, but it comes with the territory when running something that involves hundreds of millions of dollars.

As a compromise, okay...keep paying these outrageous salaries but change how it works if a coach is fired.  If a coach is fired for failing, he should get NOTHING.  No more huge buyouts.  Structure the contract which spells out that failure will not be rewarded.  And it galls me to no end that the only way this bs continues is based off of the lazy notion that: "Well, it's always been done that way."  

1 hour ago, Making Chimichangas said:

My point is, going forward the kind of contract structure I am proposing (I think) should become the new norm.  It will take a bold AD to stand up and address the out-of-control arms race that college football has become.   

And to your point: I realize I am probably on the "losing end" of this argument because too many college football fans will pay whatever it costs.  The prevailing sentiment among college football fans seems to be: "Naw, let's just ride this bubble till it pops.'

The current system is unsustainable and the time to fix what's wrong, with minimal interruption, is before the crash.

Oh I got your point and I agree with the sentiment but my point was that it's really in the hands of the consumer. It won't take a "brave" AD to change things as that would be career suicide. Just being realistic, it will take backlash from the consumer/fan and unfortunately I just don't see that happening in a wide enough swath to make a difference. But yeah, our values are screwed up and it's out of control.