Mike Riley’s salary at Oregon State... $50k.

Saunders

4 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

As a compromise, okay...keep paying these outrageous salaries but change how it works if a coach is fired.  If a coach is fired for failing, he should get NOTHING.  No more huge buyouts.  Structure the contract which spells out that failure will not be rewarded.  And it galls me to no end that the only way this bs continues is based off of the lazy notion that: "Well, it's always been done that way."  

If there's no guarantee that they'll have a job (or a buyout) next year, why would they want to commit? This was recently a big topic in South Dakota because until a couple years ago state employees could only have one-year contracts. USD and SDSU went D1 and eventually had coaching searches, and found that no qualified coach would agree to take a job without the promise of a multi-year contract. Rules were amended, and now coaches can be signed to a three-year contract.

It's really not a matter of "we've always done it that way". There are very good reasons why CEOs or D1 football coaches have multi-year contracts and buyouts. If you wanted to remove these golden parachutes you would have to shift them to an even higher salary on those annual contracts. Things are working just as they should. UNL needs to do 10 minutes of research before making a hire. (I think they hit homeruns in Moos and Frost, but there were a whole lot of disasters preceding Moos).

• Plus1 1

9 minutes ago, mrandyk said:

If there's no guarantee that they'll have a job (or a buyout) next year, why would they want to commit? This was recently a big topic in South Dakota because until a couple years ago state employees could only have one-year contracts. USD and SDSU went D1 and eventually had coaching searches, and found that no qualified coach would agree to take a job without the promise of a multi-year contract. Rules were amended, and now coaches can be signed to a three-year contract.

It's really not a matter of "we've always done it that way". There are very good reasons why CEOs or D1 football coaches have multi-year contracts and buyouts. If you wanted to remove these golden parachutes you would have to shift them to an even higher salary on those annual contracts. Things are working just as they should. UNL needs to do 10 minutes of research before making a hire. (I think they hit homeruns in Moos and Frost, but there were a whole lot of disasters preceding Moos).

I'm all for multi-year contracts.  I am not for rewarding failure.  Sadly, I concede the point/debate because I realize that things will in fact continue until enough fans stand up and say no--and that will probably not happen for a very long time, if ever.

16 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

I'm all for multi-year contracts.  I am not for rewarding failure.  Sadly, I concede the point/debate because I realize that things will in fact continue until enough fans stand up and say no--and that will probably not happen for a very long time, if ever.

The other caveat to consider is, in most cases, the coaches hold the power. It wouldn't take one bold AD to address the issue - it would take all of the major universities and ADs uniting under a common cause. Nebraska is a perfect case study in this regard. The university is so determined to start winning at a high level that they threw out their routine ~$3 million a year coaching salaries and went to $5 million a year. Frost also wanted to build some assurances into it by saying 'hey, this is a pretty big hurdle we've got here, so I want to be guaranteed a long time to fix this or you're going to have to pay out the ass to fire me.'

I'm totally on board with what you're saying conceptually, just to be clear. It's a weird position to be in but there are some pros depending which side of the fence you fall on.

My guess is Riley just kind of got pushed-over (again).  OSU said "Hey, we really don't have to pay you much and you'll still get your full salary from Nebraska." 

And Riley just said "OK" and went with it.

I would guess there will be some "adjustment" by one side or the other in the next month or so.

• Plus1 2
15 minutes ago, Mavric said:

My guess is Riley just kind of got pushed-over (again).  OSU said "Hey, we really don't have to pay you much and you'll still get your full salary from Nebraska." 

And Riley just said "OK" and went with it.

I would guess there will be some "adjustment" by one side or the other in the next month or so.

I'm hoping we just start sending him a jelly of a month and see if he notices the difference or says "golly gee how sweet of them"

1 hour ago, Enhance said:

The other caveat to consider is, in most cases, the coaches hold the power. It wouldn't take one bold AD to address the issue - it would take all of the major universities and ADs uniting under a common cause. Nebraska is a perfect case study in this regard. The university is so determined to start winning at a high level that they threw out their routine ~$3 million a year coaching salaries and went to $7 million a year. Frost also wanted to build some assurances into it by saying 'hey, this is a pretty big hurdle we've got here, so I want to be guaranteed a long time to fix this or you're going to have to pay out the ass to fire me.'

I'm totally on board with what you're saying conceptually, just to be clear. It's a weird position to be but there are some pros depending which side of the fence you fall on.

I thought Frost was getting $5 million/year

3 hours ago, Enhance said:

The other caveat to consider is, in most cases, the coaches hold the power. It wouldn't take one bold AD to address the issue - it would take all of the major universities and ADs uniting under a common cause. Nebraska is a perfect case study in this regard. The university is so determined to start winning at a high level that they threw out their routine ~$3 million a year coaching salaries and went to $5 million a year. Frost also wanted to build some assurances into it by saying 'hey, this is a pretty big hurdle we've got here, so I want to be guaranteed a long time to fix this or you're going to have to pay out the ass to fire me.'

I'm totally on board with what you're saying conceptually, just to be clear. It's a weird position to be in but there are some pros depending which side of the fence you fall on.

Completely correct. The market dictates the value. If 5 other ADs are willing to pay 5 million a year for the quality coaching candidates, it makes it impossible to change the status quo. Any program trying to do so won't be able to compete.

• Plus1 1
15 hours ago, Enhance said:

Agree that theoretically what I am saying should happen.  Also agree that realistically it's probably a pipe dream.

On 1/13/2018 at 9:09 AM, Making Chimichangas said:

There seriously needs to be, in college football and in the private sector as well, a conversation about changing radically how people at the top, who FAIL are rewarded financially.  It is a complete load of bulls*** how an incompetent person like Mike Riley can go 19-19, fail miserably at every conceivable level, and still walk away with 12 million dollars.  My solution is: lower the base pay to a max cap of $1,000,000.  Then, give huge bonuses, even higher than what is offered now, that reward championships and success.  If a coach fails and is fired, he gets NOTHING except whatever base pay he is entitled to up to the point of being fired.  That's how it works in the real world for almost everyone (minus the bonuses for doing great in most cases).  Why should certain people be so richly rewarded for failure?  Makes no sense and it needs to change.

Well this is what happens at the highest levels of society, but that might be for another forum. 

On 1/14/2018 at 6:38 PM, Making Chimichangas said:

The problem was being foolish enough to hire MR, and being even more foolish and giving him an extension before the season started.

• Plus1 1