Great linemen= great success

1 hour ago, QMany said:

I only watched 3-4 UCF games this year. For those that dug a little deeper and/or know more about football than me, how would you describe their OL? They didn't seem more physically gifted than Auburn for sure, or even USF and Memphis, but in my inexpert opinion Frost used speed and schemes very well instead to play to their strengths and mask their weaknesses. Having Milton back there certainly doesn't hurt either.

Besides scheme and having a mobile QB to help, I'd say one of the biggest things that helped the OL succeed was their ability to get off the ball quickly and use technique to beat defensive linemen to the spot.  Against Auburn they didn't really have much success pushing the DL around, but they got into their man and made them work hard to make a play.  In that game Auburn had 1 sack and 2 TFL, which is pretty good against anyone, let alone a much more talented SEC team.

I see this year having lots of growing pains, but I'm excited to see an OL that no longer gets compared to swiss cheese, a sieve, a marshmallow, a wet paper bag, etc.

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, Mavric said:

At some point, if I was a member of the 2017 Husker squad that got demolished and finished 4-8, I'd lay down and let it go. There is nothing to defend here Samuel. 

7 hours ago, QMany said:

I only watched 3-4 UCF games this year. For those that dug a little deeper and/or know more about football than me, how would you describe their OL? They didn't seem more physically gifted than Auburn for sure, or even USF and Memphis, but in my inexpert opinion Frost used speed and schemes very well instead to play to their strengths and mask their weaknesses. Having Milton back there certainly doesn't hurt either.

You mean when UCF had roughly 8 sacks and Auburn had 0? (sorry, no real point to my comment, just stating that UCF blew up Auburn's DL)

Edited by ScottyIce
6 minutes ago, ScottyIce said:

At some point, if I was a member of the 2017 Husker squad that got demolished and finished 4-8, I'd lay down and let it go. There is nothing to defend here Samuel. 

You mean when UCF had roughly 8 sacks and Auburn had 0? (sorry, no real point to my comment, just stating that UCF blew up Auburn's DL)

Well they didn't exactly blow up Auburn's DL.  They did neutralize it though.

They did blow up Auburn's OL.

4 minutes ago, ScottyIce said:

I don't think he needs to let it go if someone is spouting untruths. I found it very hard to believe we didn't squat at all and appreciate insight from someone who was actually in the weight room doing those workouts. I have no problem with Hahn calling out falsities or exaggerations, and our record should have no bearing on that. 

Bland has since posted the full quote.

• Plus1 2

Spreading inaccuracies or allowing them to flourish simply because the team went 4-8 last year is unfair and unethical.

The real question is who is telling the coaches that they 'didn't do squats' last year? Somebody is lying and, in general, it's probably best if our new coaches steer clear of sharing things they hear second hand.

I'd be pretty sure the disconnect is "didn't do squats" is more accurately translated "didn't do them as much/often as you'd expect" or something to that effect.

On 1620 they mentioned Rob Zatechka had replied to Hahn with something to the effect of "some guys were allowed to shorten/skip their workouts" so that might be where some of it was alluding to as well.  Haven't been able to find where the quote from Zatechka is.

Also, Hahn has been out of the program for over a year.  When you combine the part that he was probably not one of the guys slacking and the possibility/probability that things could have changed since he left, it's possible that there is decent truth in both of them.

3 minutes ago, Mavric said:

On USC just now they said word from Oregon State was Anderson's coaches said pretty much the same thing when they took over for Riley there.

Maybe they just left it up to the players. Or maybe they stopped requiring it after year 1 or 2. I know lots did the competition (in 2016) and I don't think you do that if you don't practice them in the weight room. Idiocy seems to have been going on regardless, but I'm ready for the current coaches to stop talking about it. I was fine with it being mentioned, and again by Frost on signing day, but time to move on to the future now.

Edited by Moiraine

I tend to think we all ought to focus mostly on the future.   The past is the past (good, bad and the ugly).   The Riley/Pelini era players on this team next fall get a fresh start.  They can all get in that weight room and run those steps and work their butts off (or on as the need may be).   While two or three years is typically needed to really transform a body from average to those of the Frost era Huskers.  These guys surely have done some of it and are not starting with high school physiques.    8 months is enough time to get from a decent football shape into excellent if the will and determination and guts are there.  

• Plus1 1

In Frost's national signing day press conference, go to about the 19:00 mark and he flat out says wgen he and his staff got here that the OL has talent, but are fat, weak, and out of shape.  Talked about changing their bodies.  

I don't know for certain what players did or did not do in the weight room while Riley was here...

However: 1) given how weak our OL performed last season,

2) combined with Frost's statement,

3) with reports cited by another that the same thing occurred while Riley was at Oregon State...

Under Riley, players lifting was optional at best.  And people wonder why most of his teams absolutely sucked.  Now we know.  The sad part is, we had to suffer through his incompetent suckage.  Thanks for nothing .500.

• Plus1 1

I posted a picture of our fat, weak, and out of shape Offensive lineman..and how they play EXACTLY like they look...and folks came out of woodwork about my post..jumping all over the premise of it..

...Hum..Mr Frost recently observed and said SAME thing I did..so you folks who lack cerebral thought and like to argue anything..go ahead and message th coach and tell him your wisdom,as you did to me..

“I like the talent we have up front, I really do.... “We’ve got to change their bodies. The Nebraska I knew and the strength and conditioning and what was expected of them, and what kids look like physically. That’s not really what we’re walking back into..

“I think we got guys on the team that can be great offensive linemen, but we've got to go to work in the weight room, we’ve got to cut our body fat, eat right, we’ve got to get stronger, we’ve got to get in better shape.”

Edited by Mavric
Merged into existing thread in appropriate forum
  • Plus1 1