Great linemen= great success

On 2/7/2018 at 3:20 PM, knapplc said:

Lot of discussion about physique in this thread earlier.  Quote from Frost at today's press conference:

Hum...coach says same thing i said.now why don’t you select few, speech police, jump all over him with your wisdom..he said same thing I said..

On 2/10/2018 at 11:07 AM, Making Chimichangas said:

In Frost's national signing day press conference, go to about the 19:00 mark and he flat out says wgen he and his staff got here that the OL has talent, but are fat, weak, and out of shape.  Talked about changing their bodies.  

I don't know for certain what players did or did not do in the weight room while Riley was here...

However: 1) given how weak our OL performed last season,

2) combined with Frost's statement,

3) with reports cited by another that the same thing occurred while Riley was at Oregon State...

Under Riley, players lifting was optional at best.  And people wonder why most of his teams absolutely sucked.  Now we know.  The sad part is, we had to suffer through his incompetent suckage.  Thanks for nothing .500.

Deleted

Edited by Enhance
Please avoid using politically themed messages in the football forum. Thank you.

46 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Something that baffles me in all of this.  While I was at UNL, no other students were even allowed to eat at the training table even if we paid for it.  It baffles me that athletes wouldn't be eating just about every meal there when it's all paid for for them.

It probably gets down to laziness and accountability for the players.  If the players live in the dorms and want to get some lunch, they may not want to walk across campus for lunch or dinner to get it at the training table.  It's probably even worse for guys who live off campus.  The reason why athletic departments are making the locker rooms and athletic buildings as fun and entertaining as possible, is so the athletes spend as much time there as possible.  The more time they spend at the athletic buildings, the easier it is to oversee what they are doing and making sure they do everything they are supposed to be doing.  That includes studying and eating as many meals at the training table as possible.

It will be interesting to see how things change for the team as Frost will most likely move the team to morning practices (as he did at UCF).  I am just guessing, but I can see them do a practice in the morning, and then have the players come back in the afternoon for position group meetings and weight lifting.

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Something that baffles me in all of this.  While I was at UNL, no other students were even allowed to eat at the training table even if we paid for it.  It baffles me that athletes wouldn't be eating just about every meal there when it's all paid for for them.

I think @ColoradoHusk hit the nail on the head. I was no athlete, but I remember when I was freshman that I would often go out for dinner and eat less-than-healthy things, spending what little money I had, simply because I didn't feel like going and eating at the dining hall. A lot of it is also associated with accountability. The coaches and culture of the program need to hold the players accountable for their weight, BMI and other measurables.

• Plus1 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/17/2018 at 1:26 PM, Enhance said:

Well we can't see their chests and their arms, again, look fairly par for the course to me.

If we're going to judge someone's strength, particularly on the o-line, we should judge it by measurable statistics. I maintain I don't see a big difference between that photo and this one.

ncaa-football-wisconsin-nebraska.jpg

I think these guys are all 6'7 across the board 

• 1 month later...