Bracketology

Will Nebrasketball Make the NCAA Tournament?  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Will Nebrasketball Make the NCAA Tournament?

• Yes
    • No, and no postseason tournament
    • No, but makes NIT

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/11/2018 at 11:17 PM

13 minutes ago, commando said:

wow...we are a long ways from in according to that.   i thought we would be a bit closer 

We have 6 games to play. We've been doing really well so we think we can win all 6. But winning 6 (which would be 9-10 in a row?) wouldn't really match what we've done all season.

Edited by Moiraine

11 minutes ago, commando said:

wow...we are a long ways from in according to that.   i thought we would be a bit closer 

Just crazy to me that Maryland could be ahead of us according to that. I know it's been said over and over again in here that the committee doesn't look at conference record but come on, they are 4-7 in the conference and 2-6 in their last 8 games. I don't know in what world they should be considered higher than us in anyone's rankings.

1 hour ago, huskerpower13 said:

Just crazy to me that Maryland could be ahead of us according to that. I know it's been said over and over again in here that the committee doesn't look at conference record but come on, they are 4-7 in the conference and 2-6 in their last 8 games. I don't know in what world they should be considered higher than us in anyone's rankings.

I think it still matters who you play. 

They've lost twice to Michigan St, lost twice to Purdue, and lost to Indiana, Michigan, and Ohio State.

They beat Iowa, Minnesota, Penn State, and Illinois.

I agree that's far from impressive, but if you flip the Penn State and Michigan results, it's really the same as what Nebraska has done except they played the good teams more often.

17 minutes ago, jds017gbr said:

If we go either 6-0, 5-1, or 4-2 in our last regular season games and win the B10 tourney, what do you guys think our seed would be? Or what is the highest possible seed we can get? It seems far fetched but the opportunity is still on the table. 

This is very unlikely, but if this happened, maybe a 9 or 10 seed. If we sneak in to the tournament we will be an 11 or 12 seed.

Can someone explain to me how seeding works? I really have no idea because the barely-making-it teams like Nebraska are 11 seeds instead of 16 seeds. And because I've paid attention to basketball 1 time since Tyronn Lue and Eric Piatkowski were playing.

Do they put the dinky conference winners (potential Cinderellas) in as 12-16 seeds?

Edited by Moiraine
26 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Can someone explain to me how seeding works? I really have no idea because the barely-making-it teams like Nebraska are 11 seeds instead of 16 seeds. And because I've paid attention to basketball 1 time since Tyronn Lue and Eric Piatkowski were playing.

Do they put the dinky conference winners (potential Cinderellas) in as 12-16 seeds?

You have the right idea. The at-large/bubble teams are typically the 4/5/6/7-ish teams from power conferences.  They have RPI rankings much higher usually than the small conference winners who get automatic bids. The small conferences almost always just get the one team in.

• Plus1 1
29 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Pretty much.  The lowest I can ever remember a major conference team being was a 14 seed some years back when Georgia had a losing record going into the SEC tourney and won it get the auto bid.  With Nebraska very much on the bubble its not out of the question to see them in Dayton for a play in game as an 11 or 12 seed.

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

Your 13-16 seeds are usually reserved for mid-major conference tournament winners....