Bracketology

Will Nebrasketball Make the NCAA Tournament?  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Will Nebrasketball Make the NCAA Tournament?

• Yes
    • No, and no postseason tournament
    • No, but makes NIT

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/11/2018 at 11:17 PM

16 hours ago, Mavric said:

This is pretty interesting.

The caveat is I'm sure it's also true - at least to some extent - if you drop the "worst wins" for other teams around us as well.

Not exactly, DIV II wins, like the one Creighton got on Tuesday, don’t count in the RPI formula at all, but do count as a W on official record and the stats count for the players. Had NU played a DIV II team instead, they would still have 20 wins and a much higher RPI.

6 minutes ago, caveman99 said:

Not exactly, DIV II wins, like the one Creighton got on Tuesday, don’t count in the RPI formula at all, but do count as a W on official record and the stats count for the players. Had NU played a DIV II team instead, they would still have 20 wins and a much higher RPI.

Imagine that, another broken system.

From the OWH article this morning about Matt Davison:

Marc Boehm, NU’s executive associate athletic  director, said he has it on pretty good authority that if Nebraska basketball wins its final three games, it will make the NCAA tournament. Boehm, who spoke to the Lincoln Chamber of Commerce on Wednesday, said he spoke to a member of the NCAA selection committee who said three wins at the end of the regular season gives Nebraska a 99 percent chance of making the tournament.

Win two out of those three, Boehm said, and Nebraska’s chances drop to 72 percent.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, HS_Coach_C said:

From the OWH article this morning about Matt Davison:

I dont buy that for a second. While I do think if we win out we are going to be in, no chance i put it at 99% and i dont think one committee member can speak for the rest.

It also becomes dependent on who wins conference tourneys. 

Win out and then win 1 game in B1G tournament and all should be good.

The love for the B12 is comical this year. The "experts" love to point at 1 or 2 good wins instead of the overall picture 

TCU is 4-8 in their last 12 but are in. Lost to last place Vandy

Texas 1-5 in their last 6 and lost to Michigan at home 

Oklahoma (ranked) 2-7 in their last 9 and lost to Alabama and Arkansas (not in football)

13 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

I dont buy that for a second. While I do think if we win out we are going to be in, no chance i put it at 99% and i dont think one committee member can speak for the rest.

It also becomes dependent on who wins conference tourneys. 

Win out and then win 1 game in B1G tournament and all should be good.

Oh I agree with you.  Our resume isn't good enough right now and I wouldn't be too confident finishing at 23 wins.  Take care of business these next 3 games and 1 in the tourney, I'd be shocked if they aren't in.

Actually - just remove all doubt and win the Big Ten tournament!  :thumbs

3 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

The love for the B12 is comical this year. The "experts" love to point at 1 or 2 good wins instead of the overall picture 

TCU is 4-8 in their last 12 but are in. Lost to last place Vandy

Texas 1-5 in their last 6 and lost to Michigan at home 

Oklahoma (ranked) 2-7 in their last 9 and lost to Alabama and Arkansas (not in football)

TCU has an RPI of 27; their non-con RPI is 9. 

OU has an RPI of 21, and wins over Kansas, Texas Tech, Wichita State and TCU. 

The committee isn't looking at the last 10 games of the year as closely as they have in the past, but those two teams are solidly in the tournament. Texas is the outlier, and is the one that Nebraska needs to catch, IMO. 

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, HS_Coach_C said:

Oh I agree with you.  Our resume isn't good enough right now and I wouldn't be too confident finishing at 23 wins.  Take care of business these next 3 games and 1 in the tourney, I'd be shocked if they aren't in.

Actually - just remove all doubt and win the Big Ten tournament!  :thumbs

What would our seed be if we did?

3 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

TCU has an RPI of 27; their non-con RPI is 9. 

OU has an RPI of 21, and wins over Kansas, Texas Tech, Wichita State and TCU. 

The committee isn't looking at the last 10 games of the year as closely as they have in the past, but those two teams are solidly in the tournament. Texas is the outlier, and is the one that Nebraska needs to catch, IMO. 

Recent success doesn't matter then? Give me a team that is winning in the 2nd half of the season than some good wins in the first half. I also never stated that Oklahoma wasn't a tournament team, it's the fact they are rated and aren't that good of a team - I've watched several games and would honestly take us on a neutral floor. TCU is not better than Nebraska. Texas is not better than Nebraska 

7 minutes ago, jds017gbr said:

What would our seed be if we did?

If they ran through the Big Ten tournament, that would likely mean wins vs. Michigan, Ohio State, and either Purdue/Michigan St.

Those would be 3 quality wins, and I would bet it'd mean a 7 seed, +/- 1.

Again - highly unlikely, but this team could catch fire.

10 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Recent success doesn't matter then? Give me a team that is winning in the 2nd half of the season than some good wins in the first half. I also never stated that Oklahoma wasn't a tournament team, it's the fact they are rated and aren't that good of a team - I've watched several games and would honestly take us on a neutral floor. TCU is not better than Nebraska. Texas is not better than Nebraska 

The non-conference is so important because it sets up the pecking order of the leagues.  The Big 12 did well enough in the non-con to be viewed as a top league (justified or not) so even the crummy teams that are losing every week get passes because they're playing in a good conference.

This is why the Big Ten is going to struggle getting more than 4 teams in this year - the non-con for the conference as a whole was pretty bad.

5 minutes ago, HS_Coach_C said:

The non-conference is so important because it sets up the pecking order of the leagues.  The Big 12 did well enough in the non-con to be viewed as a top league (justified or not) so even the crummy teams that are losing every week get passes because they're playing in a good conference.

This is why the Big Ten is going to struggle getting more than 4 teams in this year - the non-con for the conference as a whole was pretty bad.

The SEC beat the B12 in their tourney challenge this year! Not in football, in basketball. There is nothing justifying the B12 this year 

2 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

The SEC beat the B12 in their tourney challenge this year! Not in football, in basketball. There is nothing justifying the B12 this year 

It's not just head to head results:

http://realtimerpi.com/rpi_conf_Men.html

1. Big 12

2. Big East

3. ACC

4. SEC

5. PAC-12

6. Big 10

7. American

8. MV

9. Mountain West

10. Atlantic 10

I'm not saying I agree with them, but these are the results using the current formulas they have in place.

• Plus1 2