Bracketology

Will Nebrasketball Make the NCAA Tournament?  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Will Nebrasketball Make the NCAA Tournament?

• Yes
    • No, and no postseason tournament
    • No, but makes NIT

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/11/2018 at 11:17 PM

22 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

A couple of numbers: 

- 35: Oklahoma's RPI as of today. 

- 40: Highest RPI of a Power Conference team to be left out of the tournament (Cincinnati, 2006)

Here are a couple of numbers: 

They have lost 6 straight games. They have lost their last 9 of 11 games. They just lost by 30 points 

• Plus1 2
5 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Here are a couple of numbers: 

They have lost 6 straight games. They have lost their last 9 of 11 games. They just lost by 30 points 

So games in the beginning of the year shouldn't matter?   We might as well not start the college basketball season til January now.  Don't get me wrong, ou is garbage right now but you'd be starting a bad precedent by ignoring the good wins they have. 

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, huskerfan333157 said:

So games in the beginning of the year shouldn't matter?   We might as well not start the college basketball season til January now.  Don't get me wrong, ou is garbage right now but you'd be starting a bad precedent by ignoring the good wins they have. 

I'm not saying you ignore their wins at the beginning, but later in the year has mattered for all sports as long as I could remember. Even taking that into account they're 8th in the B12 standings right now out of 10 teams with a 6-9 conference record.

20 hours ago, Mavric said:

I've thought this for a couple weeks - that being the 5 seed and (hopefully) getting another win might actually be helpful.  Of course, that meant losing a game coming down the stretch so it would probably be a negative overall.  And we're tied with Michigan right now but hold the tie-breaker so we'd have to lose another one (at least) to get the 5 seed so it's definitely not in our interest now but had Michigan won another game or two it might have been an interesting debate.

LOL, I said something similar and got yelled at for it. But we need all of the wins we can get, and being the five seed would give us a layup of a first game in the B1G Tourney to help pad the W/L column.

1 minute ago, VectorVictor said:

LOL, I said something similar and got yelled at for it. But we need all of the wins we can get, and being the five seed would give us a layup of a first game in the B1G Tourney to help pad the W/L column.

Considering we just lost to Illinois I'm not sure anyone would be a layup for us.

18 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Considering we just lost to Illinois I'm not sure anyone would be a layup for us.

IMO, Illinois > Indiana, and we match up well with Penn State. I've said before I was more worried about the game at Illinios than any of the other remaining games because of this and my belief in this still holds true.

I'd wager we hold serve at the PBA and upend Indiana and Penn State to end the season...which would probably still net us 4th in the B1G and a double bye in the B1G Tourney, even though it's not in our best interests to have one at this point. Maybe we can just ask Delaney to switch us and Michigan around? :D

42 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

IMO, Illinois > Indiana, and we match up well with Penn State. I've said before I was more worried about the game at Illinios than any of the other remaining games because of this and my belief in this still holds true.

I'd wager we hold serve at the PBA and upend Indiana and Penn State to end the season...which would probably still net us 4th in the B1G and a double bye in the B1G Tourney, even though it's not in our best interests to have one at this point. Maybe we can just ask Delaney to switch us and Michigan around? :D

The reward for playing a Rutgers/Iowa/Illinois/Minnesota in the second round is very low, while the risk is very high.  I'd rather finish with wins in these last 2 games and get a double bye sitting at 4th in the conference, and then hopefully take out Michigan and then whoever the #1 ends up being.

What you're forgetting is Nebraska has the tiebreaker over Michigan, so there's no way they can finish ahead of Nebraska UNLESS Nebraska loses to Indiana or Penn State.  So in order to get 5th to have another Big Ten tourney game, they'd have to have another loss... how is that helpful?

• Plus1 3
7 minutes ago, HS_Coach_C said:

The reward for playing a Rutgers/Iowa/Illinois/Minnesota in the second round is very low, while the risk is very high.  I'd rather finish with wins in these last 2 games and get a double bye sitting at 4th in the conference, and then hopefully take out Michigan and then whoever the #1 ends up being.

What you're forgetting is Nebraska has the tiebreaker over Michigan, so there's no way they can finish ahead of Nebraska UNLESS Nebraska loses to Indiana or Penn State.  So in order to get 5th to have another Big Ten tourney game, they'd have to have another loss... how is that helpful?

Completely agree. I don't believe a play in game for the quarterfinal would benefit our position much. It'll be interesting to see how hot Michigan stays heading into the B10 tourney after Sunday's win against Ohio State. Also, if Penn State beats Michigan tomorrow, they will probably jump ahead of us in some or most of the brackets setting up for an even bigger showdown on Sunday. Is there anyway that the game against Penn State can be a play in game for the tourney? Or is it pretty much the consensus that we need to make it to the semifinal in the B10 tourney to make the dance? 

5 minutes ago, jds017gbr said:

Completely agree. I don't believe a play in game for the quarterfinal would benefit our position much. It'll be interesting to see how hot Michigan stays heading into the B10 tourney after Sunday's win against Ohio State. Also, if Penn State beats Michigan tomorrow, they will probably jump ahead of us in some or most of the brackets setting up for an even bigger showdown on Sunday. Is there anyway that the game against Penn State can be a play in game for the tourney? Or is it pretty much the consensus that we need to make it to the semifinal in the B10 tourney to make the dance? 

If Penn State beats Michigan, then that would be a pretty decent win if Nebraska can beat Penn State, but not a great one.  However, our win against Michigan won't look as good then.  If Michigan drops in the RPI, Nebraska will go back to having 0 tier one wins - to go along with a bad loss now to Illinois.

It's interesting comparing RPI to BPI - I'm not sure exactly what the finer details are on the differences, but some teams are nowhere close on the two:

Team: RPI Rank / BPI Rank

Purdue: 12/3

Michigan State: 14/5

Ohio State: 20/17

Michigan: 29/24

Penn State: 77/25

Maryland: 65/35

Nebraska: 62/61

Northwestern: 115/67

Indiana: 103/75

Wisconsin: 135/82

Iowa: 145/90

Minnesota: 134/97

Illinois: 181/99

Rutgers: 206/124

Creighton: 34/18

I think it's safe to say the BPI looks at the Big Ten more favorably than the RPI.

1 minute ago, HS_Coach_C said:

If Penn State beats Michigan, then that would be a pretty decent win if Nebraska can beat Penn State, but not a great one.  However, our win against Michigan won't look as good then.  If Michigan drops in the RPI, Nebraska will go back to having 0 tier one wins - to go along with a bad loss now to Illinois.

It's interesting comparing RPI to BPI - I'm not sure exactly what the finer details are on the differences, but some teams are nowhere close on the two:

Team: RPI Rank / BPI Rank

Purdue: 12/3

Michigan State: 14/5

Ohio State: 20/17

Michigan: 29/24

Penn State: 77/25

Maryland: 65/35

Nebraska: 62/61

Northwestern: 115/67

Indiana: 103/75

Wisconsin: 135/82

Iowa: 145/90

Minnesota: 134/97

Illinois: 181/99

Rutgers: 206/124

Creighton: 34/18

I think it's safe to say the BPI looks at the Big Ten more favorably than the RPI.

That is interesting.  To your last point:  Unless you're Nebraska:D

• Plus1 1

If the Huskers beat Indiana tonight & PSU beats Michigan tomorrow, Nebraska will be the 4 seed no matter how the NU/PSU game comes out. 

PSU & Indiana can get to 11 conference wins if they win out so NU needs one win to assure themselves of finishing above both of them + they have the tiebreaker against Michigan, so them winning and Michigan losing assures that the worst case scenario is they end up tied and NU gets 4th based on the tiebreaker.

On 2/14/2018 at 12:08 PM, HS_Coach_C said:

http://www.rpiforecast.com/wizard/Nebraska.html

I found this link pretty interesting.  You can look at current RPI and play around with "what-if" scenarios.

For instance, if Nebraska wins their final 3 games, their RPI is predicted to be 46th.

I then did the same thing but had the wins over Marist, Delaware State, and Stetson dropped because those teams all have an RPI over 300.

Nebraska's RPI, with 3 less wins, would be 25th!

Using this RPI predictor again - if Nebraska wins their next 2, their RPI should jump from 60th to 50th.

If they then lose to Michigan, it will be 57th.

If they beat Michigan and then lose to Michigan State, it will be 46th.

If they beat Michigan, beat Michigan State, then lose to Purdue, it will be 37th.

If they beat Michigan, beat Michigan State, then lose to Ohio State, it will be 39th.

Of course these are estimates based on current RPI, but they will be close.

This basically shows what many have been thinking - win the next three, including Michigan in the Big Ten tourney, and they should be okay (provided the loss in the Big Ten tourney comes to Michigan State, Purdue, or Ohio State) - if they happen to win 2 games in the Big Ten tourney, I don't see how they get left out.

• Plus1 1

Baylor is getting stomped right now at the half. Hopefully it stays that way. I wonder how much the 'eye' test actually comes into play when deciding the teams that make it to the dance. It would seem to be tough to put in a team that gets bet by 30 (Oklahoma) and a team like Baylor getting blown out at home especially so close to the tournament.