Bracketology

Will Nebrasketball Make the NCAA Tournament?  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Will Nebrasketball Make the NCAA Tournament?

• Yes
    • No, and no postseason tournament
    • No, but makes NIT

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/11/2018 at 11:17 PM

1 minute ago, ScottyIce said:

Want one... but can’t decide what I’d do with it the rest of the year on my wall?

seems like you could use a dry erase marker and reuse.

https://www.fathead.com/college/ncaa-team/ncaa-2018-mens-basketball-bracket--wall-decal/

If they left the year and dates off of it, they might get more people to buy it and then they could use it every year.

Bubble Watch: Lots at Stake for Fringe Teams ... 

By MICHAEL BELLER February 27, 2018  www.si.com 

LOCKS (22)
Arizona, Auburn, Cincinnati, Clemson, Duke, Gonzaga, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Michigan State, North Carolina, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Purdue, Rhode Island, Tennessee, Texas Tech, Villanova, Virginia, West Virginia, Wichita State, Xavier 

<snip>  

ON THE FRINGE

NEBRASKA (22-9, RPI: 59, SOS: 120, Q1 RECORD: 1-5, Q2 RECORD: 2-3, SUB-100 LOSSES: 1)
Nebraska wrapped up its regular season with wins over Indiana and Penn State last week. The Cornhuskers are the No. 4 seed in the Big Ten tournament, which means a likely date with Michigan in the conference quarterfinals. They’ll need to win that game, hope that Michigan State beats the Wisconsin-Maryland winner, and then knock off the Spartans to have any shot for an at-large bid.

LINK

I don't get it.  How can Michigan be a lock, but if we win tomorrow we'd still have to beat Sparty to stand a chance.  A win over Meechicken tomorrow would give us two wins over Michigan this year AND a higher finish in the regular season standings and the B1G tourney.  That's insane.  

• Plus1 5
7 hours ago, funhusker said:

Let's say Iowa beats Michigan.  Then Nebraska beats Iowa and loses to MSU.

That would mean, I assume, the following:

Nebraska beat Michigan in regular season SOUNDLY.

Michigan LOST to Iowa, a team that Nebraska beat 3 times.

How in the world would Michigan still get in ahead of NU?  I'm sure I have a little homerism, but it don't make no sense!

7 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Because you are only looking at the small sample comparison of Michigan and Nebraska.  Michigan, as a whole, would have a much better resume than NU.

7 hours ago, HS_Coach_C said:

#1 - Nebraska beat Iowa once, it'll be twice if they win in the tournament

#2 - Head to Head results matter very little when there are so many games in a season and so many variables to consider

#3 - Look at the resumes for each team, Michigan's is better on paper

RECORD VS. DI =   23-7      /       22-9

CONF. RECORD =  13-5       /       13-5

SOS =                       87         /        126

RPI =                        25         /         55

VS. TOP 50 =          2-4        /         1-5

VS. 100+ =              16-1      /         18-1

Which team looks better on paper?

Michigan is currently projected as a 5 seed.  If they lose to Iowa, they might drop to a 6 or 7, but they're not getting left out.

7 hours ago, HS_Coach_C said:

1 game doesn't determine who gets in the tournament...

St. John's should be in over Villanova, Boston College in over Duke, and Oklahoma State in over Kansas using that argument.

If Nebraska had played at Michigan it would be a better argument.  They win tomorrow that should leave no doubt.  If they lose, it basically invalidates our only good win of the year.

6 minutes ago, NUance said:

I don't get it.  How can Michigan be a lock, but if we win tomorrow we'd still have to beat Sparty to stand a chance.  A win over Meechicken tomorrow would give us two wins over Michigan this year AND a higher finish in the regular season standings and the B1G tourney.  That's insane.  

This was discussed earlier.  Also, we don't necessarily need to beat Sparty to stand a chance.

31 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Louisville up by 8 with 7 minutes left.

Seems like every time we have a team that needs to lose playing a highly ranked team, the wrong team wins.

Virginia fought back...   I had Louisville getting in, but it would have made things tighter for Nebraska.

On another note, Georgia Tech beat NC State. This probably doesn't do much except drop them a seed line, but they're closer to the bubble.

Edited by HS_Coach_C