S Noa Pola-Gates [Nebraska - Signed LOI]

Mavric

HuskerBoard Predictor  

127 members have voted

1. 1. To Which School Will Pola-Gates Commit?

This poll is closed to new votes

8 hours ago, StPaulHusker said:

I’m more amazed at how he was able to sign in December and it not get leaked to a larger degree than it did.

I mean, he had to tell opposing coaches that he’s signed and they can’t contact him.  And they would have had to stay quiet for a month.  

Impressive

As I commented in the past month, that would have to be the case. I doubted it then and I’m surprised that turned out to be true. 

Man I didn't realize his recruitment got so nasty. According to the HOL guys someone/people in the ASU football program were leaking straight lies to ASU reporters in attempt to save face on losing out on him. Apparently someone told an ASU writer that "Noa's dad forced him to sign early with Nebraska and NPG and his mom wanted him wanted him to stay home in Tempe." He followed with "both kept the signing a secret from NPG's mom who was pro ASU."

Probably not a smart idea to openly bash a in state kid and spread lies in the media when you already have a very hard time getting these guys to state in state.

• Plus1 3
21 minutes ago, SUHperman said:

Man I didn't realize his recruitment got so nasty. According to the HOL guys someone/people in the ASU football program were leaking straight lies to ASU reporters in attempt to save face on losing out on him. Apparently someone told an ASU writer that "Noa's dad forced him to sign early with Nebraska and NPG and his mom wanted him wanted him to stay home in Tempe." He followed with "both kept the signing a secret from NPG's mom who was pro ASU."

Probably not a smart idea to openly bash a in state kid and spread lies in the media when you already have a very hard time getting these guys to state in state.

There were also saying that some in the media that covers ASU were salty about NPG decision to conceal his signing because they were predicting he will sign with ASU just to find out it had been over for a while. As a result, some were attacking his character and that of Frost. Also, there may have been a recruiting violation by ASU who made contact with NPG after his signed his LOI with Nebraska.

1 minute ago, Thanks_Tom RR said:

There were also saying that some in the media that covers ASU were salty about NPG decision to conceal his signing because they were predicting he will sign with ASU just to find out it had been over for a while. As a result, some were attacking his character and that of Frost. Also, there may have been a recruiting violation by ASU who made contact with NPG after his signed his LOI with Nebraska.

If ASU contacted him after he signed that is solely on Herm. They have access to a portal which shows who has signed. Would have taken two seconds. 

11 hours ago, SUHperman said:

If ASU contacted him after he signed that is solely on Herm. They have access to a portal which shows who has signed. Would have taken two seconds. 

This was a very predictable scenario.

On 12/14/2018 at 2:28 PM, Thanks_Tom RR said:

If feel that it will create a scenario for NCAA recruitment violations. Programs are not allowed to reach out to players for the purpose of recruitment after they sign a LOI. If the prospects don't make it known who they signed with, some programs will not realize that these players already signed and find themselves violating NCAA rules.

However, you are right that college football programs have access to the NLI portal, so it is on the ASU staff for doing their due diligence. It is the second year of the early signing period, but the first time that I am aware a player did not publicly disclose his signing. It is a recipe for violations.

• Plus1 3

Comparison: Brendan Radley-Hiles

Pola-Gates is more athletic and wiry strong than Radley-Hiles, but he still brings the lumber. He can play in center field and hunt down anything up the middle or something stretched to the sideline and he loves to play physical and tough - as shown by a major hit in the All-American Bowl. Like Radley-Hiles, Pola-Gates can play corner or safety, so his versatility will get him on the field at Nebraska.

• Plus1 4
3 hours ago, Pedro G said:

I heard Gerry DiNardo say in an interview about a month ago that Wisconsin’s recruiting this year is about as good as it ever will be. Nebraska, he thinks, has a much higher upside, and can make it sometimes in the top 10. Interesting. 

I actually agree with this. Wisconsin's '19 class is the culmination of going 24-4 in two seasons(one undefeated regular season), 2 NY6 bowls, 2 competitive CCGs and a bit of national hype. Despite all of that, the best they'll do is 26th(may finish closer to 30). Its admirable they were able to secure two top 100 type players(I'd argue Mertz is more of an outlier for them than Brown, who Wisconsin fortunately was able to gain a commitment from before other schools caught on). Nevertheless, they are more about evaluations and development moreso than recruiting.

Nebraska, on the other hand, will have two classes in the top 25(This year in the top 20) after back-to-back 4-8 seasons. Imagine if Nebraska had similar on-field success, top 15 is a guarantee with a chance at top 10 if things fall right. The caveat before was that Nebraska signed similar classes on paper, but either they weren't properly balanced in filling needs or they weren't developed to reach their fullest potential. Think those two things will be less of an issue going forward.

Look forward to seeing how things shake out between the two.