Healthcare Reform

3 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

I'd engage free market ideas so health insurance companies will fight for insured customers with funny cartoon characters.  why?

Because healthcare isn't and can't by it's nature be a free market. First of all, THE most important foundation for a free market is transactions conducted based on mutual consent. Nobody being forced to engage. Healthcare doesn't work that way because by it's nature, citizens are forced to engage and are approached in transaction at moments of weakness and desperation. People in need of healthcare are people (to some degree) unable to represent their own interests with fair weight and power in a transaction. A few other brief reasons that stack would be that healthcare is local (less or non-existent foreign or distant competition which drives innovation and spurs better/cheaper products), and pharmaceutical companies horde patent monopolies.

One of the most famous economists ever, Friedrich Hayek, who in today's lexicon would be considered a conservative/libertarian, had this to say:

“Where it is impossible to create the conditions necessary to make competition effective, we should resort to other methods of guiding economic activity.”

• Plus1 4

7 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

I'd engage free market ideas so health insurance companies will fight for insured customers with funny cartoon characters.  why?

Name one country a free market healthcare system works. Just one. 

And in the DOJ thread you conceded that other countries have good healthcare also, but only the ones that operate like the US. Once again, name one country that operates like the US. Just one. 

We will be here awhile waiting because EVERY SINGLE civilized nation in the world has a form of universal, nationalized or the way you desribe it socialized medicine. Not one country has a healthcare system like the US. Nobody goes bankrupt in these countries. They all have a higher life expectancy than the US. 

• Plus1 8
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

Ummm.....because it would be an interesting conversation about an important subject. :dunno

If I have a heart attack right now, how would I use free market to make sure I’m not slammed with an extremely high bill?

• Plus1 2
5 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Ummm.....because it would be an interesting conversation about an important subject. :dunno

If I have a heart attack right now, how would I use free market to make sure I’m not slammed with an extremely high bill?

I'll try* to save you for $50.  But you need to get to Omaha.

*medical services are not guaranteed to work.

Im not naïve, I don't think this country will ever move in the direction of universal healthcare.  Too much money in the industry and people are ignorant when it comes to healthcare.  Healthy people don't want to pay for sick people (even though that is literally what insurance is) and people don't trust the government.  They think its a government takeover of healthcare like the VA or the UK.  This is not a govt. takeover of healthcare, its a single payer system, which means it would be like your insurance company now.  Only difference between this and insurance company is the insurance company will fight tooth and nail with your doctor to get them to go the cheapest route or to cancel the tests the patient needs all together.  Medicare for all covers everything, no questions asked (Primila Jayapal bill in house and Bernie Sanders bill in senate).  Not this medicare buy-in crap which would be similar to private insurance now.  Yes, your taxes are raised.  No, you will not be paying a premium, deductible or co-pay.  It will save you hundreds, maybe thousands of dollars if something bad were to happen.  Just remember, everyone gets sick eventually and many events happen that you don't expect, even if youre healthy as a horse. 

Medicare saved my dads life.  Big pharma and insurance is trying to take my brothers by denying coverage and charging him outrageous rates for his insulin.  I write this for our republican friends because the only way to get to where EVERY other country in the world is at is to elect officials that will get us here and put pressure on the ones that don't want us here.  Don't just vote for the guy who sounds like the best used car salesman.  Vote for the people with the best policy and will keep the people first, not their donors first.

• Plus1 4
6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Anti-vaxers are some of the most idiotic and selfish people.

Talk about a subject where false information has spread and caused a huge problem.

worth remembering that trump tweeted a lot of antivax stuff in the past.   someone who can search that better than i could find it easy.  but him saying this now might just move some of his followers who hadn't vaccinated to get their shots now.   

6 minutes ago, commando said:

worth remembering that trump tweeted a lot of antivax stuff in the past.   someone who can search that better than i could find it easy.  but him saying this now might just move some of his followers who hadn't vaccinated to get their shots now.   

I doubt it. I think that if Trump suddenly became reasonable, he would lose followers, as opposed to his followers becoming more reasonable themselves. The crazies are attracted to Trump's unhinged lunacy. If he gets criticized by some anti-vaxxers, it's only a short matter of time before he says something stupid again in order to keep them appeased.

• 2 weeks later...