Healthcare Reform

15 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Well maybe sometimes the guy actually can get something helpful done. It's unfortunate how they have gone about the healthcare issue thus far but this seems like a good move for the people.

Yes....

But, this won’t do much for the problem of suppliers charging the hospitals too much. 

At at least we might be able to start pin pointing where specifically the problem is. 

• Plus1 3
5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yes....

But, this won’t do much for the problem of suppliers charging the hospitals too much. 

At at least we might be able to start pin pointing where specifically the problem is. 

Obviously this doesn't do anything other than provide a small amount of information, but to me even that is a step the right direction. As you said, hopefully this greater level of transparancy can be used as a tool to come up with solutions on this issue.

Brief background, I had a minor issue recently and went to the ER.   Had an MRI, CAT scan and XRays done.  I have no insurance.   It's been about a month now and so far the only bill I have received from the hospital is for the X-Rays.   They did 3 X-Rays and only charged me $17 for this, at least that's all they have charged me for currently.   Can anyone explain how, me as a non-insured person, would get a bill for only $17?   I know if they would have billed insurance it would have been for a heck of a lot more money

**Unrelated, but to explain why I don't have insurance.    Got a new job last fall, insurance is AWFUL at this company and elected to wait until I got married this fall and jump on my future wife's insurance which she works for a medical facility and has amazing insurance.  We took the gamble that nothing major would happen in the year that I didn't have any insurance.   Looks like we crapped out, but who knows once we get all the final medical bills.

3 hours ago, sho said:

Brief background, I had a minor issue recently and went to the ER.   Had an MRI, CAT scan and XRays done.  I have no insurance.   It's been about a month now and so far the only bill I have received from the hospital is for the X-Rays.   They did 3 X-Rays and only charged me $17 for this, at least that's all they have charged me for currently.   Can anyone explain how, me as a non-insured person, would get a bill for only $17?   I know if they would have billed insurance it would have been for a heck of a lot more money

**Unrelated, but to explain why I don't have insurance.    Got a new job last fall, insurance is AWFUL at this company and elected to wait until I got married this fall and jump on my future wife's insurance which she works for a medical facility and has amazing insurance.  We took the gamble that nothing major would happen in the year that I didn't have any insurance.   Looks like we crapped out, but who knows once we get all the final medical bills.

It usually takes 6-8 weeks before the bills get processed and sent to you.

FYI: This doesn't help you but maybe it'll help someone else. You could have taken the crappy insurance at your company and still switched to your wife's when you got married as marriage is one of the events that allows you to switch your insurance regardless of the time of year.

9 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

It usually takes 6-8 weeks before the bills get processed and sent to you.

FYI: This doesn't help you but maybe it'll help someone else. You could have taken the crappy insurance at your company and still switched to your wife's when you got married as marriage is one of the events that allows you to switch your insurance regardless of the time of year.

I know it is a qualifying event, we just gambled that I wasn't going to pay $300+ a paycheck for just me for the 11 months or so and wouldn't need a doctor.

3 hours ago, sho said:

You probably don’t have all the bills yet. But, people who claim to not have insurance many times are charged much less than people with insurance. 

Just a symptom that indicates how the insurance industry masks so much crap in the industry. 

Sho -  Before you pay anything make sure you tell them you are self-pay.   Often you can get a discount between 25% - 35%.    This is the amount that they usually overcharge for people with insurance because they know insurance will try to negotiate that first number down whatever it may be.   It's screwed up for sure.

Also, if it's a really big bill and all from one provider sometimes you can get  a discount like 10% if you pay the whole bill off all at one time.   You have to ask them if they do that though.

• 2 weeks later...

Do yourself a favor and read some of the comments, especially from the Canadians and Europeans. Will make you sick. One of my favorites:

Had a 50 minute doctors appointment followed by a 30 minute treatment at my local hospital. Cost? Zero!

Greetings from Hamburg Germany

• Thanks 1
10 hours ago, Frott Scost said:

Do yourself a favor and read some of the comments, especially from the Canadians and Europeans. Will make you sick. One of my favorites:

Had a 50 minute doctors appointment followed by a 30 minute treatment at my local hospital. Cost? Zero!

Greetings from Hamburg Germany

OK.....that's a little misleading.  The issues are much deeper than..."I went to the doctor and it didn't cost me anything."

I am all for honestly looking at a single payer plan.  However, to say "it doesn't cost me anything" is just wrong.  These costs will be covered by the tax payer and the person who claims he went to the doctor and "it didn't cost me anything" is paying taxes to pay for that.

Now, ultimately, I believe it might be possible that that system ultimately costs society and individuals less.  But, it still costs something.

17 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

OK.....that's a little misleading.  The issues are much deeper than..."I went to the doctor and it didn't cost me anything."

I am all for honestly looking at a single payer plan.  However, to say "it doesn't cost me anything" is just wrong.  These costs will be covered by the tax payer and the person who claims he went to the doctor and "it didn't cost me anything" is paying taxes to pay for that.

Now, ultimately, I believe it might be possible that that system ultimately costs society and individuals less.  But, it still costs something.

Free at the point of service.