Healthcare Reform

5 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Amen. One thing I wish doctors would do more is look at gut health when patients are going through mental health issues. Alot of times they just perscribe antidepressants, but many new studies are finding strong links between gut health and mental health and I've heard of stories of severely depressed people trying diet as an alternative treatment with incredible results 

I improved my diet in my mid twenties and my season allergies went away. Diet and sleep are two very important things that we a ignore. Poor sleep cause me to have minor depression.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Redux said:

We are talking about insurance, that's the only comparison.  In America we are forced to pay for Insurance that's more expensive than anywhere else to pay for medicine and treatment that's more expensive than anywhere else.  You can't tell me a penalized fine is really necessary.  Don't they take enough as is?

My understanding is that the penalty for an individual having no health insurance under the ACA is relatively small, not unlike the fine you pay for getting pulled over without car insurance. 

The comparison is valid enough because both insurance models need to incentivize everyone to be in the same pool in order to make the economy of scale work, but also to remind you that you become a burden on everyone when your freedom to not have insurance results in a car accident or emergency room visit.  Health insurance requires only bare minimum coverage, not unlike liability car insurance. 

Difference is that health insurance has been politicized by a small number of people wanting to maintain a monopoly of riches. Nobody really lost money by making car owners carry insurance. I realize that not all Americans own cars, but it doesn't change the example much. The outrage is selectively manufactured. 

• Plus1 2
24 minutes ago, Undone said:

And they've also done an extraordinarily good job of changing the paradigm of practicing medicine by general practitioners to be reactionary instead of being proactive about one's health.

Because if you actually care for the body with whole-body wellness, you don't need as many drugs that just take aim at the symptoms instead of the root cause. Freaking hate that s***.

Don't get me started on the buffet line of psychiatric drugs recommended to my children.

11 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

My understanding is that the penalty for an individual having no health insurance under the ACA is relatively small, not unlike the fine you pay for getting pulled over without car insurance. 

The comparison is valid enough because both insurance models need to incentivize everyone to be in the same pool in order to make the economy of scale work, but also to remind you that you become a burden on everyone when your freedom to not have insurance results in a car accident or emergency room visit.  Health insurance requires only bare minimum coverage, not unlike liability car insurance. 

Difference is that health insurance has been politicized by a small number of people wanting to maintain a monopoly of riches. Nobody really lost money by making car owners carry insurance. I realize that not all Americans own cars, but it doesn't change the example much. The outrage is selectively manufactured. 

Relatively small based off what?  Not everyone has the same amount of income.  And Okay, but liability is cheap compared to bare minimum of health insurance.

And car insurance is in place primarily for people getting into accidents.  If I get into an accident with another person, my healthcare doesn't pay them.  Hell it barely pays me.

1 hour ago, Redux said:

So you're counterpoint is that the people allowed to take advantage if it isn't as big a problem as the astronomical price gouging.  Yeah, I too would rank that higher.  But I think it's turning a blind eye to a real problem.  Not completely but partly.

I'm not turning a blind eye to it at all.

But, you agree that the extremely high cost from providers of healthcare is the biggest problem.  So.....that's where we should concentrate our biggest effort at this time.  If we bring our healthcare costs down to what the rest of the world is paying, it makes so many other problems...much less of a burden.  We can then deal with those other problems in due time.

The problem is, one side has delayed fixing the biggest problem, because they're busy being upset because Uncle Harry claims he has a bad back and won't work.

And....OBTW....even people who work are having problems paying for healthcare.

• Plus1 1

Plus I'm sure there would be some that would go back to work knowing they didn't have rely on Medicaid to be able to afford their health care.

Not to mention that I'm sure businesses would love not having to cover most or part their employees premiums. The money they save from that I would think would go towards increasing their employees' wages.

10 minutes ago, jsneb83 said:

Plus I'm sure there would be some that would go back to work knowing they didn't have rely on Medicaid to be able to afford their health care.

Not to mention that I'm sure businesses would love not having to cover most or part their employees premiums. The money they save from that I would think would go towards increasing their employees' wages.

:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound

We all know, any money companies save it's going to go to executives, it's not going to go to the common worker

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm not turning a blind eye to it at all.

But, you agree that the extremely high cost from providers of healthcare is the biggest problem.  So.....that's where we should concentrate our biggest effort at this time.  If we bring our healthcare costs down to what the rest of the world is paying, it makes so many other problems...much less of a burden.  We can then deal with those other problems in due time.

The problem is, one side has delayed fixing the biggest problem, because they're busy being upset because Uncle Harry claims he has a bad back and won't work.

And....OBTW....even people who work are having problems paying for healthcare.

I see no reason we can't focus on large and smaller problems at once.

The real problem is people are too busy picking sides and worry about the other one so no problem will ever get fixed.

You don't say....

2 hours ago, sho said:

:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound

We all know, any money companies save it's going to go to executives, it's not going to go to the common worker

Yeah, I meant to say that I would like to think that they would. My brain was going faster than I could type. And a man can dream, can't he? :lol:

7 hours ago, Redux said:

I see no reason we can't focus on large and smaller problems at once.

The real problem is people are too busy picking sides and worry about the other one so no problem will ever get fixed.

You don't say....

Medicare-for-All addresses both problems. Everyone gets the same level of care, so there's no "welfare" to take advantage of. And it gives a whole bunch of leverage to negotiate with healthcare providers and drug companies.

• Plus1 2

14 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Medicare-for-All addresses both problems. Everyone gets the same level of care, so there's no "welfare" to take advantage of. And it gives a whole bunch of leverage to negotiate with healthcare providers and drug companies.

Sounds good in theory, and it probably would solve a lot of the problems.

I was wondering when the "freeloaders" would be brought up. When i was in my last year of college i got very sick and they found out i had 2 different incurable autoimmune diseases. By the time the figured out was wrong there was irreversible damage and my health will keep getting worse forever.

For anyone who thinks its easy to get on government benefits its not I was denied twice and had to get a lawyer and it still took over a year. Not everything is covered including the some of the best meds. I'm not rolling in cash either like so many on the right think. Its not some life of luxury.

I don't know how many people are abusing the system and I'm sure it's to many but each one of my infusions i get cost $30,000 dollars and i doubt it cost what ever drug company that makes it $30,000 a dose.

• Plus1 7
10 hours ago, LumberJackSker said:

I was wondering when the "freeloaders" would be brought up. When i was in my last year of college i got very sick and they found out i had 2 different incurable autoimmune diseases. By the time the figured out was wrong there was irreversible damage and my health will keep getting worse forever. 

For anyone who thinks its easy to get on government benefits its not I was denied twice and had to get a lawyer and it still took over a year. Not everything is covered including the some of the best meds. I'm not rolling in cash either like so many on the right think. Its not some life of luxury. 

I don't know how many people are abusing the system and I'm sure it's to many but each one of my infusions i get cost $30,000 dollars and i doubt it cost what ever drug company that makes it $30,000 a dose.

Best of luck with your conditions, man. Hope you're able to get the care you need and it doesn't break the bank by the time insurance pays their end.

• Plus1 1
12 hours ago, LumberJackSker said:

This is what pisses me off about people who talk about taking personal responsibility (financially) when talking about healthcare. There are things that can go wrong with health that 90% of the population couldn't afford on a moment's notice in our healthcare system without help. Some of them are a complete crapshoot.

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, Danny Bateman said:

Best of luck with your conditions, man. Hope you're able to get the care you need and it doesn't break the bank by the time insurance pays their end.

Thanks. Once you get on medicare/medicaid they are pretty good about paying for things. My 30k infusion is covered thankfully. Before when i was on private insurance certain things weren't and thats when i ran up debt not a crippling amount but thousands of dollars. 

I'm lucky compared to people who need transplants or experimental drugs that are hundreds of thousands of dollars.

• Plus1 2