Healthcare Reform

2 hours ago, Moiraine said:

This is what pisses me off about people who talk about taking personal responsibility (financially) when talking about healthcare. There are things that can go wrong with health that 90% of the population couldn't afford on a moment's notice in our healthcare system without help. Some of them are a complete crapshoot.

I get that its frustrating for hard working people see some obese person on a rascal scutter chugging 2 liters of rc cola and know that their tax dollars go to paying that persons medical bills. But in my experience that's not the majority of people on government insurance.

• Plus1 2

2 major problems rolled into one right there.  People abusing assistance when it could be going to people who actually need it, @LumberJackSker , and the absolutely insane cost of medicine and treatment.  I can't stand it.  It literally makes me angry to think about it.  I hope you're illness is at least manageable.

16 hours ago, LumberJackSker said:

I get that its frustrating for hard working people see some obese person on a rascal scutter chugging 2 liters of rc cola and know that their tax dollars go to paying that persons medical bills. But in my experience that's not the majority of people on government insurance.

It's not just seeing someone like that, it's knowing or working with someone like that.  Not going to get deep into it but yeah this is a very real thing around here and it absolutely does take away from good people in real need.  Obviously it's not a majority of the abuse happening to the system, and even the more than able bodied people who are just flat out lying about an injury for their entire life aren't taking a majority of the funds.  But again it's a real issue to me.  I just want to know that if something happens to me or a loved one we will be able to get assistance if necessary.  From the sound of it, a real example, those in actual need have a tough time getting it.

10 minutes ago, Redux said:

2 major problems rolled into one right there.  People abusing assistance when it could be going to people who actually need it, @LumberJackSker , and the absolutely insane cost of medicine and treatment.  I can't stand it.  It literally makes me angry to think about it.  I hope you're illness is at least manageable.

It's not just seeing someone like that, it's knowing or working with someone like that.  Not going to get deep into it but yeah this is a very real thing around here and it absolutely does take away from good people in real need.  Obviously it's not a majority of the abuse happening to the system, and even the more than able bodied people who are just flat out lying about an injury for their entire life aren't taking a majority of the funds.  But again it's a real issue to me.  I just want to know that if something happens to me or a loved one we will be able to get assistance if necessary.  From the sound of it, a real example, those in actual need have a tough time getting it.

You have to use the real american healthcare system financial aid: gofundme. 

• Plus1 1

29 minutes ago, Redux said:

I understand being frustrated with it, but there will always be abuses of any system. The only thing that can be done is to try to regulate around it if it's truly a statistically significant problem. The other side of the coin is those regulations could make it more difficult for the people who really need it to get assistance. It's one of those things where I would be less pisses about the system the. I would be as the lazy POS taking advantage of it.

• Plus1 1
On 8/16/2019 at 11:22 AM, Redux said:

So you're counterpoint is that the people allowed to take advantage if it isn't as big a problem as the astronomical price gouging.  Yeah, I too would rank that higher.  But I think it's turning a blind eye to a real problem.  Not completely but partly.

Faking sickness or injury or whatever in order to get assistance because they are too lazy to work.

Auto Insurance isn't really something that is life or death for some people.....not a great comparison imo.

And I disagree, I think there are ways to stop price gouging without finding people who can't afford healthcare and opt to take the penalties because it's  cheaper.

I believe the Office of the Inspector General - Social Security Administration handles disability fraud.

I think we should increase their funding and implore you to report.

• Based on an allegation a private citizen submitted to our Social Security Fraud Hotline, our Birmingham, Alabama office investigated a 62-year-old disability beneficiary. The investigation determined the woman worked as a caretaker at a retirement community, and for over four years, she received disability benefits while working. The woman pleaded guilty to government theft, and a judge sentenced her to probation and ordered her to repay $58,000 to SSA.

If you suspect someone of committing fraud against Social Security, you can submit an allegation to the OIG here.

FRAUD ALLEGATIONS: WHERE THEY COME FROM, WHAT WE DO WITH THEM

• 2 weeks later...